Unholy Consultation - *SUPER SPOILERIFIC*

• 201 Replies

Seomus

• Emwama
  • Author
    • View Profile
    • JMD Reid's Blog
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2017, 02:07:20 am »
pirating is the worst. Sorry to hear that, Scott. Me and many of my indie author friends have all had our work pirated, too. The thing is, it's hard to tell if that's really your book there or if they've just pulled your book off amazon and are really hosting malware or other destructive programs to scam you because you often have to download their software first. Really foul ones sell the ebooks like they're a legit site but probably are stealing your credit card information in the process.
“A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity."
--Franz Kafka

codebread

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2017, 02:17:44 am »
I lost a very long and complicated tutorial I wrote for some programming stuff once, due to a website error. Spent hours writing, linking sources, explaining in detail, only to have it be a mangled mess (basically gibberish, it's like someone scrambled the letters and words) once I hit "post". The kicker is when I hit Back on the browser, knowing it would be cached and still available for me to copy+paste, the cached version was equally mangled and illegible. I'm fairly certain I wrote it correctly the first time, but perhaps I had a short-lived moment of complete and utter insanity.

Anyway, my point is, I feel for you. I'll save my many questions for the AMA, but I'll say that the journey this series has taken me on has been incredible. I read a lot of fantasy (as I'm sure many of us here do), but TSA is the most unique and gripping thing I've read, no question. I was initially disappointed with the ending, mostly with the speed and effortlessness that OG Consult was dispatched, in addition to all of the twists that left me with more questions than answers, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that my disappointment stems from not having the next series to read yet. After all, I was absolutely loving everything until the book ended. Yes, I don't think I've ever had so many mixed emotions about a book ending.

Regardless, it was a wonderful read. Congratulations on finishing the series. Two down, one to go  ;)

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2017, 03:36:21 am »
Okay, so I just spent 3 hours typing nonstop answering every question on the topic summary and only the last two posted... Oof...

Sorry guys. I'm shaking with rage at the moment. Not sure when I'll have a chance to get back to these... You might want to save them for the AMA.
A very unfortunate mishap for sure. I was disillusioned with web forms for long posts when the Internet was all forums similar to this one. Now if I want to post anything substantial, I just type it into Word first (other editors work, of course). Obviously, this practice evolved from some unfortunate experiences of my own…

I'm going to repeat my first message here during the AMA, since I'm really interested in your comments. I hope you don't mind. I even registered a reddit account specifically for that.   

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2017, 03:45:20 am »
Ah. It is a sad day.

Piracy is always going to happen, but I think electronic distribution has come far enough that it doesn't have anything like the impact on actual sales that it used to. I think most types of people who would pirate fiction would have simply waited to get it from a friend or a library in pre-internet days, rather than pay a couple of dollars.

I was happy to pay $10 for the e-book while I waited for my hardback ($55) for a couple of weeks. So while that increased availability might make it easier for pirated copies to get out there already, it's also getting authors like you some extra sales. :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:50:39 am by Cüréthañ »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2017, 01:33:39 pm »
pirating is the worst. Sorry to hear that, Scott. Me and many of my indie author friends have all had our work pirated, too. The thing is, it's hard to tell if that's really your book there or if they've just pulled your book off amazon and are really hosting malware or other destructive programs to scam you because you often have to download their software first. Really foul ones sell the ebooks like they're a legit site but probably are stealing your credit card information in the process.

The click bait stuff I don't worry about too much for this very reason, but this was a site with my whole book available to read online. Little&Brown, I find, is pretty good at policing this stuff though. Still one has to wonder for the future. We had friends over a few nights ago who laughed that I would be so stupid to buy Bluerays for things that were free. Its got to the point where I'm apologizing for taking intellectual property seriously.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2017, 01:50:31 pm »
I had a thought as I was perusing this thread but if you're ever kicking around, Cû'jara-Cinmoi, this subforum is your own personal fiefdom. You're more than welcome to expand from the Q&A constraints and create your own threads.

I've found it immensely rewarding to cue and watch cued this increasingly unique network of readers your fandom draws to any number of interesting and difficult topics. Responses may vary ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2017, 02:18:18 pm »

The click bait stuff I don't worry about too much for this very reason, but this was a site with my whole book available to read online. Little&Brown, I find, is pretty good at policing this stuff though. Still one has to wonder for the future. We had friends over a few nights ago who laughed that I would be so stupid to buy Bluerays for things that were free. Its got to the point where I'm apologizing for taking intellectual property seriously.

Well, I'm trying. Like Curethan, I bought both the e book and hardcover, and will probably get a paperback before it's all over. And I buy used copies whenever I can to have them around the classroom for any likely adherents. And like you, I am laughed at for paying full price for music.
Hopefully the moral actors can outweigh the wayward. And I really hope you're making a living off of these books. Cause the meat is tasty, and I am not yet sated.

Anwurat

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2017, 02:49:42 pm »
According to a Google search the epub of the unholy consult was posted on a certain forum on July 7th around 2pm. So yeah, at this point any remotely known book will be pirated on release pretty much. There is really no point trying to stop that.

jurble

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2017, 03:47:25 pm »

It's time to do what web-comic authors do - stick books on your site for free and sell t-shirts, hats and stickers.  Circumfix bumper stickers will out-number Jesus fish in a few years.  Or instead of Calvin peeing decals, we can have Aurang ejaculating.  The possibilities are endless.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2017, 03:57:58 pm »
If it's any consolation for the pirating, I bought two copies, Kindle & Hardcover, as I'm sure others here did as well.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2017, 04:24:00 pm »

It's time to do what web-comic authors do - stick books on your site for free and sell t-shirts, hats and stickers.  Circumfix bumper stickers will out-number Jesus fish in a few years.  Or instead of Calvin peeing decals, we can have Aurang ejaculating.  The possibilities are endless.

I would buy any circumfix and tusk t-shirt that I could find. Lol. For sure.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Bhaal

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2017, 04:49:58 pm »
Cu'jara-Cinmoi,

what's happening with TV option? Who got the rights? Is it the dude who did the Golden Compass and I think he wrote SW: Rogue One?

How is the Logos dependent on emotions? And on that point - what is specifically neuroanatomically different with the Dunyain (e.g. larger neocortexes)?

Have you got a contract about the No-God series and when can we expect them?

How is that congenital blindness (the way you use the word in your books) when taken to the extreme (that it blinds completely one person) can alleviate them from sin? In that sense, is the type of insanity that brings about lack of self-insight and ego-syntonic cognitions a ticket to redemption? In short, complete ignorance brought about from severe disorder = elevator to Heaven?

The more I ponder your books and the TUC, the more I think of you as a mad genius wizard of fantasy, I hate you, I love you, keep writing. Also, if possible, this is just fan request, can you bring about less abstract metaphors and abstractions as a whole?

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2017, 04:53:28 pm »

Hard to tell your friends they are essentially thieves ;)

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2017, 04:55:24 pm »
If it's any consolation for the pirating, I bought two copies, Kindle & Hardcover, as I'm sure others here did as well.

Yeah i bought a trade paperback, the kindle version as well.

As soon as you can convince someone to do a re-release of the series with Jason Deem Covers i'll buy all them too.

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2017, 05:10:51 pm »

This!

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk