[TGO SPOILERS] The Parts Appalling

• 33 Replies

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 07:56:50 pm »
She didn't say "catch" then.  And as I've now dropped the ARC in the mail, I don't have it in front of me to check on whether she says it in the "peach" incident.

Garet Jax

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 07:59:25 pm »
She didn't say "catch" then.  And as I've now dropped the ARC in the mail, I don't have it in front of me to check on whether she says it in the "peach" incident.

I too have mailed the ARC...  I want to say that she does say catch in the "peach incident". Anyone with the text still want to chime in?

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 09:17:56 pm »
What's with all this 'I mailed the ARC' stuff?  Are you guys just sharing or...?  Makes me feel like a selfish bastard holding onto mine.  Mind you, I'm okay with that.
No whistling on the slog!

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 09:20:50 pm »
What's with all this 'I mailed the ARC' stuff?  Are you guys just sharing or...?  Makes me feel like a selfish bastard holding onto mine.  Mind you, I'm okay with that.
Ha ha. Yeah, I some of us sent our ARCs on to other guys on the forum.
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 12:00:31 am »
As I've said, it's a good thing I never had one because I'd be in the same boat as you Somna. But, yeah, most people who had one shipped it off to at least one else other
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 12:14:50 am »

Yeah, I've been having coughing fits, so I literally think it is rattling my brain.

So, it was an apple, not a peach, and in either case Esmenetc wasn't even there.

I thought she had said it some other time, but she doesn't seem to have.  On the sword, it only shows up in the italicized part where the White-Luck Warrior sees things how they are "supposed" to be, which incidentally is the only place Esmenet says "catch."

Reading it again though, I am pretty sure Esmenet is dead though.  Or at least she certainly should be.

EDIT: OK, my delirium wasn't as pronounced as I believed, there was an incident with a peach and (presumably) Esmenet saying "catch" in the White-Luck Warrior interlude to begin Chapter 3.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:55:31 pm by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 03:20:44 pm »
The bit about the Tear didn't make any sense to me.  I wonder if this was the WLW conflating his experience of Esmi narrowly missing Meppa with the Chorae.  Kelmomas' POV certainly doesn't suggest that a Chorae was involved with that scene.

The thing that's really killing me, however, is where the broken sword fits in.  Was that just part of a future that was disrupted by Kelmomas' intervention?

Hmm, did she say "catch" when she threw the Chorae at Meppa?  Or for that matter, when she threw the peach to the Narindar?

The more we go over the scene, the less sense it makes really.  The sword?  I have no idea, where did it go?  It was mentioned once and not again. basically.  I am guessing Kel messed that up by shouting?

The sword first comes up in WLW (bold mine):

In Gielgath, two thieves assailed him, and the White-Luck Warrior watched them scuffle, drunk and desperate, with the man who was their doom.  They lurched out of the alleyway shadows, their cries choked to murmurs for fear of being heard.  They sprawled dead and dying across cobble and filth, the one inert, the other twitching.  He wiped his Seleukaran blade clean across the dead one, even as he raised the sword to counter their manic rush.  He stepped clear of the one who stumbled, raised his blade to parry the panicked swing of the other... the switch that would notch the scimitar's honed edge -- as thin as an eyelid.

The notch that would shatter his sword, so allowing the broken blade to plunge into the Aspect-Emperor's heart

It might be that he expected Kellhus to engage him in a sword fight that would lead to the blade breaking and the fragment sailing through the air into the Aspect-Emperor's heart.  But then Kelmomas sort of borked the whole thing by introducing an element that was both outside the Inside and Outside?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 03:31:48 pm »
It might be that he expected Kellhus to engage him in a sword fight that would lead to the blade breaking and the fragment sailing through the air into the Aspect-Emperor's heart.  But then Kelmomas sort of borked the whole thing by introducing an element that was both outside the Inside and Outside?

Yeah, something changed even before the throne room though, because I don't think he even had the sword with him at the time.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »

Yeah, something changed even before the throne room though, because I don't think he even had the sword with him at the time.
I don't think he could even kill Kellhus that way...the guy plucks arrows out of the air. And wouldn't sorcerous wards protect from swords?

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 06:15:39 pm »
I'd always chalked up that vision to working "because WLW".  But you're totally right, conventional weapons appear to be useless against a powerful sorcerer due to their incipient wards.

It might be that the Chorae, the debris and the sword were all different potentialities that would lead to the AE's death.   And Kell ruined it all.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 10:29:49 pm »
I found Ishual/whale mothers, Ishtinbererith and the Outside POV's to be haunting and very dark. Though, they don't hit me the way say, Thelli.

Srancy, wow! "To make a Dunyain cry.....that's no small feat." The revelations about what Inrialitis did to her and Kel pressing upon that, truly stopped me in my tracks. I felt so bad for Thelli.

Kellhus buggering Proyas, didn't sit too well either. I think we can chalk that up to the Meat or simply as Wilshire said in another thread, to show Proyas he was being used. Anyway, I felt for the guy.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 11:41:18 pm »

Ha ha. Yeah, I some of us sent our ARCs on to other guys on the forum.

As I've said, it's a good thing I never had one because I'd be in the same boat as you Somna. But, yeah, most people who had one shipped it off to at least one else other

Lol - Somnambulist :). What you think was happening with an influx of new ARC readers every weekish ;)? Such an awesome and unique little community.

Regarding the off-topic, White-Luck Warrior killing Kellhus, I mentioned before that I think there are a few major discrepancies in his visions across two books. It almost seemed as if the exactitudes didn't matter so much as the most probable happenings, considering his interventions in particular moments in time. Schrodinger's Warrior?

As for theories...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 03:42:46 pm »
I found Ishual/whale mothers, Ishtinbererith and the Outside POV's to be haunting and very dark. Though, they don't hit me the way say, Thelli.

Srancy, wow! "To make a Dunyain cry.....that's no small feat." The revelations about what Inrialitis did to her and Kel pressing upon that, truly stopped me in my tracks. I felt so bad for Thelli.

Kellhus buggering Proyas, didn't sit too well either. I think we can chalk that up to the Meat or simply as Wilshire said in another thread, to show Proyas he was being used. Anyway, I felt for the guy.
Yeah, Garet Jax mentions that Kellhus raped Proyas, which he absolutely did, but then I started drilling down on this, and it occurred to me: Kellhus is essentially raping everyone he has sex with. His intellect is so far above that of a normal human that it would always be rape even when they think they are consenting.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 03:54:00 pm »
You aren't wrong, Blackstone - actually something that the Westerosi picked up on years ago.

There is no consent with a Dunyain. Only submission.

Also, TVTropes, of course, has Mind Rape.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse