• 9 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« on: June 04, 2016, 11:19:02 pm »
Mimara, as other have said, has been coming into her own I TGO and I really enjoy it also. A place here to talk about all things Mimara. Some observations.

1. Koringhus ruminating on Mimara:
"Her every step Conditioned Ground.
She did not know this knowing, of course, which was what made it so much more remarkable...even miraculous. She bore an assurance that was not Her own- and how could it be? How could anything bottomless be owned, let alone fathomed, by a soul so infinite, so frail?"

While we could assume Kellhus conditions the ground, I think it's obvious the it's the God, as Akka was struck by the revelation that he walked with the God earlier. Mimara certainly seems to be the prophet, I wonder why the Consult chose to protect her? Could the Eye show that what they try to do is the right thing? Is assume that the same would be said of Kellhus then too. Kellhus just doesn't want the Vile to be the ones to do it, and I believe he would want to salvage as much as possible. Not reduce the population as a way to shut out the Gods.

2. I do think that Mimara is jumping to conclusions with Kellhus. Just as she did with Koringhus. After she forgives him and the Eye approves of the Zero, he reaches for the Absolute. Its why I said I don't believe the Eye is 100% reliable, as things do change.

Huh, baby was just thrust into my hands. I have more to add later. Hope to hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:33:43 pm by Madness »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 11:50:31 pm »
I really enjoy Mimara's character and arc and I support her "true" Prophet status while acknowledging that things don't usually go well for Prophets who aren't followed historically, let alone in Earwa.

But I do think we'll see a portion of the Men of the Ordeal turn to Mimara instead of following Kellhus. The Aspect-Emperor series as a whole in my reading is going to mirror TWP in some major ways - see, Zaudunyani v. Orthodox in Caraskand, possibly.

But I mean - it's mentioned somewhere in TJE or WLW (wow, not be able to speak specifically on the draft is really ruining my general citations :-\) that the plan for the Great Ordeal is to beat the Consult and winter in fucking Golgotterath... so, you know... there might be some dissent on that, even if Ordeal manages to "succeed" in the New Investiture.

And I'll have to find one of my few earlier 'calls' regarding Achamian wanting Mimara to look on Kellhus with the Eye :).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:29:08 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 04:35:26 pm »
I forgot about this. But do you guys think there is any significance that Mimara carries twins? I think Akka might be right that those with the JE have a still-birth. So, one of Mimara's twins, the one with the JE, will not live. Though the other twin will. Didn't Celmommas have a twin that died at birth?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:37:36 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:51:22 pm »
I forgot about this. But do you guys think there is any significance that Mimara carries twins? I think Akka might be right that those with the JE have a still-birth. So, one of Mimara's twins, the one with the JE, will not live. Though the other twin will. Didn't Celmommas have a twin that died at birth?
Whoa, that is grim.  So grim, in fact that I'm pretty sure you're right.

Good catch with the Celmomas parallel, btw -- one of many instances where TSA mirrors TFA

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:57:44 pm »
Twins do have an interesting precedent in Earwa.

But I get a real Dune-y vibe from twins born addicted to Qirri... Some real interesting possible parallels there.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 04:22:22 pm »
Huh, just thinking about Mimara's twins. Koringhus remarks when he's hugging Mimara that he hears/feels 3 heartbeats. Mimara's, a boys and a girls. I'd bet that the girl has the JE. So, it is made explicitly clear in TGO that women are the lesser soul. Yet, Mimara is essentially the GOD walking and it seems as if she can forgive damnation. If I'm right the JE is through the unborn daughter in her belly. So, if women are less, why do they get to be the vessel through which the GOD views damnation? I'm having a hard time saying what I want. Why a woman, if their so Damn less?

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 04:55:19 pm »
Huh, just thinking about Mimara's twins. Koringhus remarks when he's hugging Mimara that he hears/feels 3 heartbeats. Mimara's, a boys and a girls. I'd bet that the girl has the JE. So, it is made explicitly clear in TGO that women are the lesser soul. Yet, Mimara is essentially the GOD walking and it seems as if she can forgive damnation. If I'm right the JE is through the unborn daughter in her belly. So, if women are less, why do they get to be the vessel through which the GOD views damnation? I'm having a hard time saying what I want. Why a woman, if their so Damn less?
I immediately thought up a few theories about this, but all of them could be refuted by the fact that Mimara has always had the JE, as opposed to having it after she got pregnant. Since women are objectively less in Earwa, it is odd that they alone can possess the JE, which seems to be something akin to omnipotent knowledge of souled beings. My only guess would be that having a womb somehow makes it possible. Women alone can carry ensouled beings, and it is my thought that a soul passes into a body at the moment of birth (otherwise when the No-god walked, babies would never be carried to term and then birthed stillborn, they would simply not grow in the womb). And if the soul is passed to the baby at the moment of birth, then a woman is present at that moment, and perhaps the womb is the tool that does it...a sort of doorway to the Outside.
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 06:07:17 pm »
I agree that the womb is a window/doorway between Earwa and the GoG.  And if she has the power to forgive, I wonder if she has the power to heal as well.

Crackpot - her forgiveness is absolute, like Kellhus scratching the parchment clean, and when Koringhus died he had no nourishment to feed the Outside.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 06:36:16 pm »
Wic, I don't think that's crackpot, I think you hit the nail on the head. Mimara even remarks to Akka later, "he grasped the Absolute." re: Joined the God of Gods. That's my reading of it at least.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:38:03 pm »
perhaps women are "less" because they are less prone to sin (the whole being desiring machines, or deceitful machines per Ent by way of opening aphorism). So Mimara perceives women as less because the 100 perceive women as less because women have less damnation built in and are thus less tasty/nutritious. The women being less thing is related to mechism of the gods valuing those whom best slake their appetites.

And if I'm correct that a goddess/mother created the universe and was slain to create the hundred, then perhaps the natural order of things pre-existing the benjuka plate of the creation of the 100 does not put women as less, but Mimara can't see that because she is within the frame of the benjuka plate controlled by the hundred.