• 126 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2013, 06:03:42 pm »
I'd say that the enchanted object, once struck, would have to be re-enchanted.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2013, 10:18:56 am »
Also, Duskweaver, do you think that if a Chorae hits an animated billow that those sorcerers/sorceresses are affected beyond that billow tail being de-sorcerized momentarily?
Honestly, I think the whole idea of the billows would be pointless if intercepting/deflecting a chorae still resulted in the sorcerer or witch plummeting out of the sky. Being splattered all over the landscape doesn't seem much of an improvement over being salted.

But then there's that WLW quote:
With their billows, he [Kellhus] explained, the odds were good that any one Chorae strike could be survived, so long as someone uninjured could carry the one struck away from the Horde.
that implies they do still plummet and have to be [caught and] carried by one of their companions. The actual catching seems implausible to me unless the witches/sorcerers stick really close together in the air, which would surely make it impossible to actually flutter their billows around sufficiently to act as a screen.

So I dunno. Maybe it's like in a Roadrunner cartoon where you don't actually start falling until you've had time to hold up a little wooden sign saying 'Help!', and that gives your friends time to fly over and catch you? ::) :P
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2013, 03:28:25 pm »
I'd say that the enchanted object, once struck, would have to be re-enchanted.

Indeed. I was more wondering if Duskweaver thought that Chorae hitting the billow would affect the sorcerer/sorceress beyond de-animating the object.

But then there's that WLW quote:
With their billows, he [Kellhus] explained, the odds were good that any one Chorae strike could be survived, so long as someone uninjured could carry the one struck away from the Horde.
that implies they do still plummet and have to be [caught and] carried by one of their companions. The actual catching seems implausible to me unless the witches/sorcerers stick really close together in the air, which would surely make it impossible to actually flutter their billows around sufficiently to act as a screen.

So I dunno. Maybe it's like in a Roadrunner cartoon where you don't actually start falling until you've had time to hold up a little wooden sign saying 'Help!', and that gives your friends time to fly over and catch you? ::) :P

Lol'd. "Catching" might reflect a sorcerous Cant? Though, Serwa does carry Sorweel in her arms. (We do have it from Inrau's perspective that sorcerous speed is a thing; might sorcerous strength be a thing as well?)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:30:08 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »
Body enchantment magics must exist!

Anyway, I think it would matter how close the chorae got. If a flying chorae arrow made a glancing blow and was mostly defected by the fabric of the dress, then the which would stay afloat. If the arrow was nearly a direct hit and the folds of the dress mostly just prevented the chorae from touching skin, then the which would surely fall.

BTW, chorae are not pointed, just round balls of metal attached to an arrow. Since the chroae need to make direct skin contact, it seems improbably that any schoolperson would take the field in anything less thick padding. Close contact to the chrorae would knock you out, but even an inch of insolation would surely save your life (based on Akka getting slammed in the face by Ironsoul's closed first around a chorae, causing pain and minor salting) ( that happened right??).

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 07:11:07 pm »
when does Mimara get the chorae, in cil aujus or before?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 07:36:00 pm »
Pretty sure she gets it inside of Cil' Aujas. I believe it might have been when all the scalpers were looking at the Wracu skeleton. I seem to recall the text saying something like Mimara "already made her fortune" during that scene. Or, actually, right before then. She might have picked it up off the ground, on a whim, during the proceeding fight/flight.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 01:10:36 pm »
During the fight.

(based on Akka getting slammed in the face by Ironsoul's closed first around a chorae, causing pain and minor salting) ( that happened right??).

Quote from: TJE, p580
The rapid creature [Sranc] howls, punches Achamian with its free hand, the one cramped about the Trinket...

Chorae. Tear of God. Trinket...

It wrenches the eyes even to glance at it, to see both the plain iron ball tacked in Sranc blood and the pit that scries into oblivion. She clutches it, she who is not yet cursed, and presses it against her breast and bodice. Nausea wrings her like a wineskin. The vomit surpises her mouth, her teeth.

And then she gets knocked out... I always dislike superfluous knockouts in fiction, which don't result in any kind of cursory damage.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:08 pm »
"Catching" might reflect a sorcerous Cant?
That makes more sense. Not as entertaining, though.

Though, Serwa does carry Sorweel in her arms. (We do have it from Inrau's perspective that sorcerous speed is a thing; might sorcerous strength be a thing as well?)
I don't see why not. In that particular case, though, I think Serwa is just naturally pretty strong. Dunyain genes rather than magic.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2013, 01:40:42 pm »
"Catching" might reflect a sorcerous Cant?
That makes more sense. Not as entertaining, though.

Lol. I'm stretching and, as much as I do it here, I dislike stretching where more words on an author's part could have just answered the question for us.

Though, Serwa does carry Sorweel in her arms. (We do have it from Inrau's perspective that sorcerous speed is a thing; might sorcerous strength be a thing as well?)
I don't see why not. In that particular case, though, I think Serwa is just naturally pretty strong. Dunyain genes rather than magic.

Truth. But we can still extend Inrau's evidence to the Few having magical rather than mundane limits of strength.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 09:42:06 am »
Here's a question - if you cut off a bit of a sorcerer (even a lock of their hair, for example), remove it from the vecinity of the mage and apply a chorae to the sample, will it salt?

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 09:59:26 am »
Perhaps a deflection would destroy the sorcerer's incipient wards.  A staggering blow, where they can still stay airborne but require shielding assistance to quit the field and regroup lest they be struck by regular weapons.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2013, 02:24:17 pm »
Here's a question - if you cut off a bit of a sorcerer (even a lock of their hair, for example), remove it from the vecinity of the mage and apply a chorae to the sample, will it salt?

To drive into further needless questions...

1) If you cut the arm off a person with the Mark, and then hit it with a chorae... will the arm salt?  2) Will you see the Mark on the arm after it is cut off? 

3) What about the hair of a Marked man?  4) After he gets a haircut, will it have the Mark and/or be saltable?

I honestly doubt that these sorts of questions have any relevancy in the story and I don't think that Bakker has probably pondered the nuance... but still fun to question!

Measure is unceasing ;).

1 - 4: I think the Salting depends on the appendage remaining attached to the soul. So arm/hair would remained Marked, like other inert objects (Achamian mentions the trees carrying the Mark of his battles with Sranc around his tower long after they've ceased happening and Serwa remarks on the "Nameless Ruins" in Wilshire's Ch. 3 Excerpt summary carrying a "strange Mark"). The argument would be then that Marked inert objects don't react to the Chorae because it is not ensoulled.

Like...

I imagine touching a dismembered arm would not turn it to salt because the sorcerer's soul is no longer connected.

Touching a wathi doll might create a little pile of salt though.

+1.

Perhaps a deflection would destroy the sorcerer's incipient wards.  A staggering blow, where they can still stay airborne but require shielding assistance to quit the field and regroup lest they be struck by regular weapons.

Perhaps.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2013, 11:10:54 am »
In TTT the ciphrang explode in showers of salt when they are hit by chorae.  Relevant?

I'm thinking it's how the soul leaves the body that creates the salt.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2013, 08:47:45 am »
worth remembering the salting is just a side effect. and that they also effect cishaurim is a metaphysical quirk. iirc from CC on ZTS

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 12:46:47 am »
A side effect?  No.  I think dying is a side effect of turning to salt.   ;)

Seriously though, Cish produce a metaphysical bang and die too.

Enchanted items just lose their endowed properties. (wlw)

I think it's likely to do with the way marked souls go to the outside.  Logically, Cish must bear an invisible (inward) mark.  Their metaphysics are simply invisible to regular sorcerers.