Eärwa Maps

• 154 Replies

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:01:02 pm »
Anyone have the maps from White-Luck Warrior scanned?  I seem to remember a map of the Istyuli Plains in that book.  A google search turns up nada.  My WLW book is MIA and I need to reference the maps ASAP.  Not really ASAP, I got carried away with acronyms.   :)  Cheers!
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »
ASAP just means as soon as possible - which is probably exactly when you want it ;).

If no one else has handy links or scans, I can get them to you tomorrow at the earliest, Som.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:19:53 pm »
Hard to believe its not on the wiki, but alas, it is not.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:16:49 pm »
ASAP just means as soon as possible - which is probably exactly when you want it ;).

If no one else has handy links or scans, I can get them to you tomorrow at the earliest, Som.

Cheers, Madness!  Much appreciated. 

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:24:55 pm »
I was comparing maps from Scott's website and have some questions.  I think this color map was done by Scott.  Is that correct?  If so, I wondered about some inconsistencies.  If anyone has insight, that would be great.  On the map, I've numbered the questions.

1) Do we know what this structure is?  The icon used is a hollow square, which is consistent with ruins, based on what Scott has done with his previous maps.  It isn't Cil-Aujas (marked with an 'x') and I haven't seen it on any other maps.

2) This icon is different than any other used on this map (kind of a thick block with thinner rectangles extending up and down).  I would assume it's the Thunyeri capital, but it, again, isn't noted on any other maps I've seen.

3) The Sempis/Kiyuth river systems are noticeably different than the maps in the books.  It's notoriously hard to see on this color map, but the Kiyuth specifically looks different than the map in the book.  Also, the color map doesn't seem to include the Yellow Sempis, which is supposed to connect to the Sempis from the West.  Is it just a matter of the scale of the color map?  Probably.  Maybe this one is just me over-thinking.

Thanks!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »
Full scale image, spoiler tagged for space

3) Maybe zoom in some more or change the contrast settings of your screen, because the river is there, but extremely difficult to see.

Full Scale map from books, with color (from wiki), spoiler tagged for space

2) Not on the book maps. Seems like that marker is somewhat similar to Attempus/Asgilioch/Atyersus, but certainly not an exact match. Maybe it was an error (though Bakker claims to have scoured that map for anything inconsistent, and he gives it his stamp of approval). I don't know what it is.

1) Again, not on the book maps. I don't see a later map version (like you requested) so I'll have to take a look at it. Maybe its supposed to be Marrow? Incidentally, isn't that around where the Skin Eaters claimed to have found Cleric, or at least in that general place? Don't know what it is outside of those two suggestions.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 04:22:38 pm »
Thanks, Wilshire.  Hmmm.  You're right about the Yellow Sempis.  Staring at it too long, I think, made all the pixels blur together.

Looking on the wiki, I could only find one name for a 'structure' in Thunyerus: Cern Auglai, but it's described as a fortress and pirate entrepot on the coast, ruled by Earl Goken.  I suppose it could be that, but would be an assumption.  Assuming that, it's not the Thunyeri capital.  I'll have to dig to see if I can find any more info on Thunyerus.  Seems sparse.

From the map in TJE, Marrow sits closer to Cil-Aujas, on the River Rohil, which is south of that nameless ruin.  Mysteries...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 04:33:52 pm »
Honestly, I wonder where the bottom map posted originally came from. It shows Sakarpus in its post-PoN place, several thousand kilometers west of where it was at in PoN, yet it is missing Marrow.

I'm going to have to look up the passage(s) that discuses where they found Cleric. Maybe there is some nameless ruined mansion/city up there.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 05:01:34 pm »
Number 2 looks like the marker for Golgotterath. In fact it's the only other place where it's used.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »
It's slightly different.  Again, not sure if it's just a mistake, but seems deliberate.  The Thunyeri icon is missing the side extensions of Golgotterath.  2 pics below.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 05:33:52 pm »
Key:

Square (filled in) - City
Square (empty) - Ruins
Plus (+) - Fortress
Diamond - Golgotterath
Marker in Thynyersus - Unknown (similar to the marker at Golgotterath. Maybe a cross between the Plus and the Diamond)

Didn't notice Golgotterath's unique symbol. Its not quite the same as the one in Thunyerus...

EDIT:
Actually, if you zoom out far, they look almost identical, though the Thunyerus one is slightly smaller. When you zoom in close, it's missing several pixels. Strange. Maybe a connection to the Inchoroi. Any references on Inchoroi presence in that area?

Edit 2:
Notice the marker would be the same if you added another row in the middle of the smaller one, or if you took out the middle row of the Golgotterath symbol.
I difference of 5 black pixels :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:36:08 pm by Wilshire »

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 05:48:55 pm »
For reference the New Empire's map.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 05:54:09 pm »
Number 1 in the Osthwai Mountains could be Aenaratiol.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 06:24:47 pm »
Thanks, Ashtinahgma.  Aenaratiol is meant to be right above Cil-Aujas, so it doesn't seem to be that, either

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 06:27:37 pm »
Probably not. Last line of the wiki entry for Aenaratiol:

"The old Nonman Mansion of Cil-Aujas lies beneath the mountain"

That places it too far south.