H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:22:58 pm »
I long while back, I made a thread on how I could contrive a reason why the Inchoroi would even bother to give the Nonmen immortality and thus deliver what ended up being called The Womb-Plauge, here.

I really doubt you will want to read all the nonsense I wrote there, so I will sumarize my point here, with a question.  I beleive that the Inchoroi realized, after Nin’janjin visited the Ark, that the Nonmen were just as succepatble, just as swayed by the Inverse Fire as they were.  So, they changed gears, rather than try to kill them all, they would try to "convert them."  So, they, having lost most of the Tekne already, gave them one thing they still did have, which was exactly what they themselves had taken to become immortal.  So the Womb-Plauge wasn't a weapon, it was a side-effect, a happy one too.  (The whole point of why the women died is a total aside I'll leave for now though.)

So as the immortality given more as a way to "recruit" the Nonmen and less a way to attempt to end them as a species?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:46:18 pm »
I thought immortality was what the Nonman king asked for, for the obvious reasons, my reasoning was the Inchoroi did it to stall them for time and used it to set a weapon as well, no more birthed souls from the Nonmen bringing the world closer to that magic number. Makes you wonder why they didn't sterilise the Men as well, aside from technological incapacity at the time.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:58:16 pm »
The simplest way to look at the Womb Plague is as a kluge. The Inchoroi are stuck with the remnants of a technology they can no longer understand. At the same time, think of what it is the No-God, as a technology, yields the Inchoroi: the death of birth. They attempted to give immortality to their Nonmen allies to begin with, to save their souls, realized afterward that their gift was fatal to their women. This yielded a crude tool they needed to accomplish at least part of the No-God's function.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:13:41 pm »
They attempted to give immortality to their Nonmen allies to begin with, to save their souls, realized afterward that their gift was fatal to their women.
Such revelation! Do you really mean that the Inchoroi did not intend the Womb Plague as the ultimate result of their gift? Or, also, that it was truly a gift and not some long-term plan to make them all go crazy? Just a tragic accident... ?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:05:20 am »
They attempted to give immortality to their Nonmen allies to begin with, to save their souls, realized afterward that their gift was fatal to their women.
Such revelation! Do you really mean that the Inchoroi did not intend the Womb Plague as the ultimate result of their gift? Or, also, that it was truly a gift and not some long-term plan to make them all go crazy? Just a tragic accident... ?

I think he means that at first they tried to give immortality to their "Nonmen allies" (the ones that joined the Inchoroi like Ninjanjin and whoever else) but discovered that it killed women. So they decided to use it on the Nonmen in general because their goal was "the death of birth" like the glossary says.

However, I'm not sure if this satisfactorily answers H's questions from the thread he linked to:

At first blush, it made no sense.  What kind of garbage weapon makes your enemy immortal?  Sure, it extinguished future generations of Nonmen, but if you could kill all the women, why not kill all the men too and be done with it?  I tried to explain it to myself that perhaps the Tekne was incompletely known or was unable to be wielded effectively, but both of those came to me as hollow explanations.