What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:41 pm »
Quote from: Madness
That's quite the experience, Auriga.

bbaztek, discretion & balance in all things ;). Though, I'd hate for you to think you are alone.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:46 pm »
Quote from: Jorge
I smoke, but not routinely.

Also, nothing wrong with Netrunner. That game is glorious. And also the brainchild of real-life Dunyain Richard Garfield.

Garet Jax

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 10:23:40 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
It saddens me deeply that no one here likes to fire up fat doobies. You haven't  read bakker until you've read him a blunt to the head deep

I agree that it makes the story more intense when I read it after some hot sauce, but I tend to forget everything after doing so.  I always mark the page that I started on after enjoying a little Lettuce of the Lord so I can go back and start over with a clear head... but that's just me.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 11:17:54 pm »
I agree that it makes the story more intense when I read it after some hot sauce, but I tend to forget everything after doing so.  I always mark the page that I started on after enjoying a little Lettuce of the Lord so I can go back and start over with a clear head... but that's just me.

Lol. This sounds very familiar ;D

Francis Buck

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 05:52:56 pm »
I wish I was able to smoke pot and read Bakker, but alas, I can no longer comfortably partake. It started to give me very bad anxiety/paranoia as I aged (starting around twenty-ish), so I just quit it for the most part. The only time I can smoke and enjoy it is if I take a Xanax or Lorazepam or something, as that completely knocks out any of the issues. It's rare that I do even that though. I will also, on a rare occasion, take a small hit if I've had some drinks, but even that can be risky and I have to be in right mood/situation.

On topic, I have a lot of hobbies actually, but my biggest interest by far is writing. It's basically my passion in life, the thing I have to do, and it's my singular goal above everything else (beyond things like family and friends). I started in fifth grade, was doing it before I even totally grasped what exactly I was doing (early on I spent a lot of time outlining and worldbulding, as opposed to writing prose, which I think contributed to my current state; I think I'm pretty skilled at developing plots and characters, and just storytelling in general, but I struggle with prose -- or at least I feel like I do). I'm focusing on being an author right now, but my dream is to also write for video games, television, and movies (I'd also like to direct the latter two).

I sometimes make short movies with a friend of mine who's a film major, often just lame experimental stuff. We've been talking and planning to make something more serious for a while, but it's very slow going. We used to do it a lot more back in high school, but life and other responsibilities cut into it -- and it's just hard logistically. Getting two actors and a camera together on the right day, in the right spot, while having a good amount of time to actually accomplish anything, is surprisingly (and frustratingly) difficult.

Obviously I read all the time, watch a lot of movies and television (TV for me is mainly high-end dramas -- of which only Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire really remain -- and science/history documentaries, plus some comedies like Adult Swim stuff). I'm very much into science and history in general, particularly anything medieval or earlier. That partially pertains to my writing though as well, since most of what I do is fantasy, usually taking place in a pseudo-Classical or medieval setting, and I generally like to create extremely exotic cultures and societies that are usually an amalgamation of many, many different real world inspirations, but in the end turn out as somethign totally different from anything that exists on earth (that's the intent, anyway).

I play a bit of electric guitar. I'm self taught and I play by ear (can't read or write music for shit). I actually got away from it for a good year, probably more, and just over the last two months I've been gradually forcing myself to get back into it. I'm not very good, it's just a fun pastime, and my dad's a great drummer so we sometimes jam out (along with a few of my other musically inclined friends).

I sometimes draw, of course (used to do it a lot more when I was younger), and I also play video games a decent amount, though I go in intervals of not playing much at all or playing a shitload.

So yeah, that's basically it. Obviously my interests are creatively focused, I've been that way since I was little. I'm not really into sports at all, nor anything athletic aside from jogging to stay in shape and on the rare occasion lifting weights. I used to take kung-fu (southern style) and tai-chi, but not for many years, although I am interested in getting back into some kind of self-defense, possibly Brazilian jiu-jitsu or krav maga.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:58:48 pm by Francis Buck »

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 11:05:22 pm »
I'm a few months into one of my periodical phases where I let hobbies and intellectual stimuli pass me by, so now I generally come home and do "nothing". Darn my long commute and low pay. And excuses.
witness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 02:30:55 pm »
Deep breaths, Meyna. If you can affect change, you can always only do it now ;). Things past are past.

Thanks, FB. Good post.

I feel very much the same about writing and creative outlets - I am, however, bent on doing something with this world so I work to bend my crafts towards that.

Also, I'm giving serious thought about building this remote monastery and hiding out there for a couple decades, if necessary, while I train myself in the ways of a Dunyain - you know, should the worst happen and all that ;). Then return to dominate, I mean, better engage the world and some such...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 06:41:48 pm »
I have a daughter(16 months old), so she obviously takes up a lot of my time. My wife has three horses,which I love hanging out with:).
I like to meditate out in the woods when it is dark,and I do some writing as well. Try to keep myself in shape by bicycling and jogging.

Elser

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 04:21:11 am »

I like reading almost anything, mainly science, business, history & military strategy but also a lot of literature (especially 19th century and early 20th) and a ton of SF&F. TSA has gotten me moré interested in philosophy, Heidegger specifically.

For excercise I do martial arts (american kempo & kick boxing), gymnastics, horse riding and swimming, some moré consistently than others.

I used to binge quality televisión on weekends Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Rome, Boardwalk Empire; almost anything sci fi related (battlestar galactica, fringe, revolution, dollhouse).

When I find time PC RPGs are a rare pleasure; The old ones like baldur's gate trilogy, morrowind & fallout 1 & 2, newer ones like new vegas, dragon age origins and skyrim. I'm excited for the new wave of kickstarter projects like tides of Numenera and Pillars of eternity.

I have a lot less time to indulge my many hobbies besides reading and excercise since we launched a biotech start up in june of this year; and we work weekends.

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 11:59:56 am »
we launched a biotech start up in june of this year

Congrats and welcome!
witness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 01:02:22 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Elser.

I second Meyna congratulations. Assuming you aren't working on the White Plague or something ;)?

Gall! Wow. I cannot believe this hasn't clicked before...

Bakker stole the goddamn Womb-Plague from Herbert's The White Plague. Lol, that sneaky derivative fuck :o!

I know he's mentioned Herbert's book on ZTS before. This means I should probably pay closer attention when I read the Destination: Void quartet again.

Cheers, Elser.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 03:09:14 am »
I have a lot less time to indulge my many hobbies besides reading and excercise since we launched a biotech start up in june of this year; and we work weekends.

What's it called, what do you make/do, and where at? If you don't mind my asking. Hope you get it off the ground.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

tekne

• Emwama
  • real Strength comes without tension
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 01:48:07 pm »
very interesting and in ways  inspiring thread! keep 'em coming ...
The dark currents I find - An accurate copy, A blueprint of the pleasure In me

...best things in life come without tension, driven by a higher flow ,that one and only is the reason and truth behind their sole existance

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 12:38:13 am »
While waiting for the next installment, it's been nothing but 19th century memoirs

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:51 am »
Lol - will/do you switch centuries every waiting period?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer