mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2014, 02:40:39 am »
i wager the pointlessness of being god is moot to kellhus--he's driven by his conditioning to dominate circumstances whatever they are

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2014, 01:34:06 pm »
And...then what? A God that was truly Dunyain would be an absent God.
i wager the pointlessness of being god is moot to kellhus--he's driven by his conditioning to dominate circumstances whatever they are
Like a dog chasing its tail. If it ever catches it, it wouldn't know what to do with it. The Mission is to become Absolute. Not sure if the Dunyain bother discussing what would happen after... Its like beating a game, alls thats left to do is play it again from the start, maybe on a harder difficulty, or play another one altogether.

Make a new universe and see if you can make events such that you get deposed by your own creations? A God with absolute authority and power creating something to destroy itself.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2015, 05:17:29 pm »
Anyone think its likely that Mimara's child will end up being like a certain child from Dune who was exposed to spice in the womb?

Some Dune spoilers for this speculation:
(click to show/hide)

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2015, 07:44:27 pm »
I think it's likely Mimara's child will be born dead.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2015, 08:49:07 pm »
Certainly, but those dune parallels though....

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2015, 09:46:36 pm »
Anyone think its likely that Mimara's child will end up being like a certain child from Dune who was exposed to spice in the womb?

Nah, that's Kelmomas once he takes Maithanet's place and becomes known as the Toddler Shriah. That may even be the name of the third series, The Toddler Shriah.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2015, 01:24:33 am »
Nah, that's Kelmomas once he takes Maithanet's place and becomes known as the Toddler Shriah. That may even be the name of the third series, The Toddler Shriah.
I know you were joking, but on reflection, everything but the title is shockingly plausible.

Uncle Holy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2015, 08:11:29 pm »
I think Mimara holds the key somehow to the No-God's destruction. Kellhus's goal (it seems) is to destroy the Consult and prevent the No-God's awakening, but he may fail in that...meaning the No-God may rise after all...if this happens, Mimara's Judging eye (plus that experience she had with the Chorae) will be crucial in confronting Mog...which would explain why the Consult is interested in her and whatever prophecy foretold her involvement...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2015, 09:43:54 pm »
The No-God, at least when confronted on Mengedda, constantly screams "WHAT DO YOU SEE"

I wonder what it would think of Mimara's reply, if the Judging Eye opened.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2015, 11:40:32 pm »

Some Dune spoilers for this speculation:
(click to show/hide)

fuck yeah!  guess what?  Mimara *thinks* it is Akka's baby because she is thinking in terms of 9 months.  really, it is Kellhus' baby running on a longer than 9 month incubation.  Dunyain + Judging Eye Woman + Qirri = the fulfillment of the Kelmomian prophecy!!!

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:49 am »
That relies on Kellhus having wiped her memory of the event, or for Mimara to have repressed it herself (which I find unlikely). Since Mimara doesn't recall ever coupling with Kellhus.

That said if Kellhus wanted even more progeny there's no more likely womb to quicken than Mimara's. Her mother was compatible, so there's probably a decent chance she is too.

Esmenet could never know. She'd never forgive that. Even for him.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2015, 02:43:28 am »
i'm not sure why, but this has always struck me as one of the saddest bits in all of the Second Apocalypse.  TDTCB, chapter 4, p 109, Esmi reminiscing about young Mimara:

Esmenet's daughter was never far from her thoughts.  It was strange the way anything, even the most trivial happenstance, could summon memories of her.  This time it was Achamian and his curious habit of sniffing each prune before taking it between his teeth.

Once her daughter had sniffed an apple at the market.  It was a breathless memory, wan, as though rinsed of colour by the horrific fact of her death.  An adorable little girl, bright beneath the shadows of passersby, with straight black hair, a chubby-tender face, and eyes like peretual hope.

"Mama, it smells like..." she had said, hooking her voice as insight failed her, "it smells like water and flowers."  She flashed her mother a triumphant smile.

Esmenet looked up at the sour vendor, who nodded at the entwined serpents tattoed on the back of her left hand.  The message was clear: I don't sell to your kind.

"That's funny, my sweet.  It smells overpriced to me."

"But, Mama ..." her darling had said.

Esmenet blinked the tears from her eyes.  Achamian was speaking to her.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2015, 12:15:25 pm »
Mimara remembers that incident, despite how long ago it was. She just remembers it wrong, since Esmi is not in it. I guess some part of her doesn't like to be reminded that her mother actually loved her.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:06 pm »
That relies on Kellhus having wiped her memory of the event, or for Mimara to have repressed it herself (which I find unlikely). Since Mimara doesn't recall ever coupling with Kellhus.

That said if Kellhus wanted even more progeny there's no more likely womb to quicken than Mimara's. Her mother was compatible, so there's probably a decent chance she is too.

Esmenet could never know. She'd never forgive that. Even for him.

maybe Kellhus has been wiping many memories!  kids everywhere!  Maitha did it too!

for real tho, what Mimara did to the Seal at the end of TJE, if anything is daimotically summoned in TUC, Mimara is the one to banish it.  perhaps Kellhus summons War but can't control or get rid of him so Mimara saves the day!

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:29 pm »
OK, so I came across this passage while in another discussion and would like to know your guys thoughts.

Then, in the empty interval between breaths, the Judging Eye opens. For a time she gazes in stupefaction, then she weeps at the transformation. Her hair cropped penitent short. Her clothing fine, but with the smell of borrowed things. Her belly low and heavy with child … And a halo about her head, bright and silver and so very holy. The encircling waters darken for its glow. She convulses about breathless sobs, falls clutching her knees for anguish … For she sees that she is good—and this she cannot bear.

OK, we've deduced through Kellhus and Serwe that when halo's are seen it because of the belief that one is holy. Kellhus doesn't see his own halo's til much later when he finally believes that he is, or crazy, take a pick. Anyway, when Mimara see her reflection and she bears a halo, its the Judging Eye/God(?)  looking at her.  Why is she holy? When so much has been stated that women's spiritual value is less and not worthy, we see a direct contradiction of that through the Judging Eye. Its a theme I keep going back to, and its like no matter how much someone convinces me otherwise, I believe women to be most important to this story, in the end.

Also,

And he seemed with otherworldly light, haloes like golden discs shining about his hands. She could see him!

Somewhere distant, almost too far to touch, men cried out. Martemus watched the Prophet turn his head, reach back witha golden-haloed hand, and seize a flying arm, which bore a fist, which gripped a long and silvery knife.

There are just two examples, but, everytime Kellhus's halo are mentioned they are gold. These are seen through the eyes of humans. When we see Mimara's through the Judging Eye hers are silver. I'd love to see Kellhus through the Judging eye, but, is this a clue that Kellhus's haloes are false? Please, anything you guys could add would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:45:43 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,