• 25 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:08 pm »
Quote from: Truth Shines
I think we can all agree that these books, generally speaking, are not big on comedy.  The only exceptions are probably some of those occasionally funny "fireside chats" by Kellhus early on during TWP -- and even those are tinged by forboding because our knowledge of his true nature.

But here's a meta-moment that made me smile and chuckle.  RSB, in a classic Ubermensch-esque gesture, poking a little fun at himself.  This is a scene where Esmenet, Maithanet, Imhailas (captain of the Eothic Guard), and Phinersa (master of spies) gather in front of the corpse of Sharacinth and plan on how to react (USA 1st Edition, hardcover p278):

[Esmenet]: "... In the meantime, it is absolutely crucial we find this Psatma Nannaferi..."

"Indeed, you Glory," Imhailas said, nodding with almost comic grandiloquence.  "As the Khirgwe say, the headless snake has no fangs."

Esmenet scowled.  The Captain had a habit of spouting inane adages -- from some popular scroll of aphorisms, no doubt.

:lol:

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:18 pm »
Quote from: Madness
To be honest, Cnaiur made me laugh all the time. An intelligent barbarian :shock: ... he bested those Inrithi sheeple in wit all over PON.

Though, I appreciated Xinemus and company. Xerius and Conphas were funny, in that I thought they were often ridiculous.

Disciple's where Bakker really gets to stretch his comedy leggings... but it's pretty twisted too ;).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:25 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
That popular scroll of aphorisms is pretty awesome.  Nice find.

As much as I like RSB's writing overall, I don't usually like the humor.  The jokes made in the book by the characters that generate laughter from the others aren't usually funny to me. 

But yeah, Cnaiur urs Sciotha, the most violent of all men (who will murder me!?) can be fucking hilarious. 

Kellhus makes a joke to Proyas at the counsel of Great Names.  It's just a manipulation on the part of Kellhus to get more accepted, but Cnaiur shoots him a look and thinks "Play these fools if you must, Dunyain, but do not play me!"

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:37 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
That bit where Kellhus takes his shoe's off on the march and some religious takes on the event spring up = the shoe scene in Life of Brian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9mfZbTFbk

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:46 pm »
Quote from: Truth Shines
Quote from: Triskele
That popular scroll of aphorisms is pretty awesome.  Nice find.
As much as I like RSB's writing overall, I don't usually like the humor.  The jokes made in the book by the characters that generate laughter from the others aren't usually funny to me.
I'm not sure he's writing for the next Seinfeld either, but some of them are pretty good though.  Here's one:

Then they [the Skin Eaters, marching in the halls of Cil-Aujas] started on beggars, trading tales of this or that wrtech.  Soma's claim to have seen a beggar without arms or legs was met with general derision...  In the spirit of mockery, Galian went one better, saying he saw a headless beggar when he was in the Imperial Army.  "For the longest time we thought he was a sack of ripe turnips, until he started begging, that is..."
"And what did he beg for?"  Oxwora asked...
"To be turned right side up, what else?"

:lol:

Kinda low brow, of course.  But again, these are the Skin Eaters.  You probably won't find too many fans of The New Yorker cartoons there. 

Interestingly, this whole section serves no narrative purpose in terms of advancing the plot, except building up the atmosphere of camaraderie, humanizing a group of hardened killers who hunt inhuman monsters for a living.  Perhaps I'm reading into this a little too much, but can this not be seen as a replay, "through the glass darkly," of the Holy War?  Achamian, once again, marching in the company of men whose habits and temperament are completely different from his own yet still finding a measure of friendship, but ultimately leading to horror and destruction.  The teacher, yet again, losing the student.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 05:19:07 am »
Worth repeating it here - and some other poster recognised this (who are you! Cry out! 'Cause I forget, Dunyain!), that no, that supposed camraderie scene does tie right into the themes of the book.

(click to show/hide)

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:58:33 am »
and some other poster recognised this (who are you! Cry out! 'Cause I forget, Dunyain!)
*Cough* ;D
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:53:56 pm »
Somehow, this little talk by Sarl made me laugh: "If this is no coincidence, Captain, then it's the Whore. Anagke. Fate. [...] And the Whore, begging your pardon, Captain, fucks everyone in the end - everyone. Foe, friend, fuzzy little woodland creatures..."
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:27:56 pm »
It's the fuzzy little woodland creatures ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Inraus Ghost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:01:03 pm »
I think if we were sitting around those fires, drinking with these characters, their jokes would be far more amusing. But "gazing down" on them as spectators and analyzing the the movements of their souls to discern who's doing what and for what purpose robs us of the relative innocence of being in their moment.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:07:41 am »
Participatory affect. Powerful stuff.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 07:08:48 am »
(Xinemus)...so I said, 'Indeed, my Lord Prince, indeed,' then nodded the sage way you do when you agree with someone you think isn't as clever as you."

Achamian smiled and nodded sagely.

lol

WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 07:12:57 am »
(but for whatever reason i find this to be the funniest beat in the whole story)--

“I dr-dreamed...” he said, hugging his arms against a shiver. “Dreamed of him.”

“Him?”

“Shauriatas.”

He had no need of explanations. Shauriatas was the curse-name of Sheönanra, the cunning Grandmaster of the Mangaecca, the intellect who discovered the last surviving Inchoroi and resurrected their World-breaking design.

Shauriatas. The Lord of the Consult.

The surprise in her eyes was fleeting. “How’s he doing?”
WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 10:58:39 pm »
When Conphas says his uncle "Xerius, who suspected conspiracy whenever two of his slaves farted."
that little line always made me chuckle.
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 02:42:47 pm »
"Like a prune fucking a twig"

(Xinemus)...so I said, 'Indeed, my Lord Prince, indeed,' then nodded the sage way you do when you agree with someone you think isn't as clever as you."

Achamian smiled and nodded sagely.

lol

What I love about this setup is that there are at least 2 or 3 other instances in TDTCB where different people pull this off after this scene happens. Makes me chuckle every time
One of the other conditions of possibility.