• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2015, 08:29:59 pm »
Possible Dune reference: 

The Guild Navigators "fold space" in order to briefly associate two points in space as identical, thus permitting instantaneous movement across interstellar distances.  If you read the first scene in which Kellhus translocates, in TTT right after his chat with Papa Moe, it says that Kellhus "sang a cant in three voices."  I think this is a concept of travel akin to that the Navigators use because of the explicit mention of three voices: one to describe the starting point in terms of the onta, another to describe the destination, and the third to momentarily join them so the cantor can move instantly. 

This is all extreme supposition of course.

i love it!  nice find!

i feel like the Sarkdaukar have some kind of analogue...

Padishah Emperor = Xerius?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2016, 12:48:02 am »
Just reminding myself to move this thread and update as of TGO 8).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2016, 07:25:53 pm »
I've been listening to Dune over the last few weeks and I am hearing so many shades of TSA over the course of it.  Most of the obvious things have been covered here, but interestingly enough, in one part, where Paul and Jessica are in the tent trying to figure out what to do now that Leto is dead, Paul refers to himself as a seed.

I haven't read all the other books yet, but I have an idea where it all goes, but I found that seemingly poignant (a la, Celmomas' words to Seswatha about Ishual).
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2016, 08:18:48 pm »
Oh man, how exciting for you, H. I listened to Dune audiobooks, whoever did it was a cast of people, and they did a good job. Shades of Dune all over TSA for sure.

One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2016, 08:51:08 pm »
Oh man, how exciting for you, H. I listened to Dune audiobooks, whoever did it was a cast of people, and they did a good job. Shades of Dune all over TSA for sure.

I read the first book over 20 years ago now.  I'll get through them all eventuality.

I think in the same part Paul also refers to himself as a place a couple times.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2016, 03:16:08 am »
I think I stopped around the fourth or the fifth one. It lost the thread for me around these parts or what I liked about them and more into generic space opera business.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:14 pm »
For me, the first 2 were great, 3 was still good, 4 (God Emperor) was a bit odd, and then I really liked the last 2.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2016, 01:39:23 pm »

Interesting... I really would just rather read but I get that somehow everyone has time while commuting for 14 hr books. And this sounds like a stage production.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2016, 05:52:23 pm »
Not quite stage production, but its definitely a different flavour than one person doing voices. Not always better, but different. I know its really off-putting to some people, though I think its a nice change of pace.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2016, 06:06:04 pm »
I have the audio books on my phone, so while I am going some menial work I just listen to the books rather than to music.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2016, 07:04:34 am »
I finally convinced one of my friends to try The Prince of Nothing with this statement:  "It's about a mentat-prince who is the product of thousands of years of selective breeding to produce the Kwisatz Haderach who gets involved in a holy war in the desert."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2016, 12:15:30 pm »
Lol nice. Whatever it takes. You might have added:
And those damn tlelaxu aliens crash landing on said planet and trying to exterminate the native populace.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2016, 01:05:32 pm »
I finally convinced one of my friends to try The Prince of Nothing with this statement:  "It's about a mentat-prince who is the product of thousands of years of selective breeding to produce the Kwisatz Haderach who gets involved in a holy war in the desert."

Congrats, CC.

It's amazing how much prosthelytizing these books take. You know, in lieu of the damn books being available to anyone, who say, walks into a bookstore :P.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2016, 01:14:44 pm »
Jesus, tell me about it.  He's the third friend I've had to arm twist into reading them.  One of them I gave the PoN books as a gift (broke student, D&D wizard player, bio geek, smart as a whip) and another who is a big reader I had to practically lash with a whip into buying them despite the fact that he knows how good my taste is.  He does amateur book reviews and he admits they are awesome even if he finds them a little on the dark and disturbing side.

Me?  A friend passed The Darkness That Comes Before over and said "you'll probably like this" and I was hooked.  Done.

Jackehehe

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2017, 04:42:04 pm »
I just finished the third book (Children of Dune) I felt I kind of lost interest by now because I don't really connect with any of the characters and the motives behind Letos actions completely elude me. Dunno, I feel like 'the hassle' involved in reading and understanding complex books isn't compensated for in the Dune books by having an amazing story (and other qualities) that Bakker's works have. It also might be that I don't really like Sci-Fi. It just feels kind of cheesy. I did some readings on wikipedia and apparently Leto turns into a sandworm (say whaaat). Is it worth to keep on reading when I really lost interest reading the third book? I feel like such a pessimist haha