mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:15:18 am »
For MG, mobile Twitter header.  Again, let me know if it needs adjustment.

THANK YOU!!!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:33:42 pm »
Gave away my last copy of TDTCB. Going to need to buy some more. Probably should print a couple of those bookmarks too, just in case I give out a copy ;)

I wonder if amazon will restock if I buy out all their remaining copies of TDTCB...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:54 am »
Ive tried to tell my 'book lover' friends about Bakkers work but none have ever really been interested enough to care.  Most are just bandwagon idiot lemmings who jump from flavor of the week to flavor of the week.  I remember when the Hunger Games was getting big and they all thought it was such a deep philosophical book... no lol.  At least the current flavor is GRRM who actually writes a decent story (up until book 4 anyways). Still, it hasn't helped in my relentless proselytizing for Bakker, but Ill never give up!

It also doesn't help that most of them are early 20s young males in the army.  Young, dumb and full of cum... I cant speak for the last one but the first two are definitely spot on  ::)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:45:45 pm »
Hey now, I'm in my early 20's, and while I might be aptly described by that turn of phrase, I do still enjoy a good book :P

I used to have more prejudice with who I did and did not recommend the books too. Now if the person is >20 years old and likes fantasy, I tell them to give it a try and, if possible, give them a copy of TDTCB.

I am having much success with this method. It  at least gets a book into their hands and starts them on the path towards enlightenment.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:52 pm »
What with Christmas just around the corner I think I'll order 100 cheap copies of The Darkness that Comes Before and 100 cheap copies of A Game of Thrones, bind them up with ribbon with Martin in the front and hand 'em out.  Or leave a "free holiday gift" box outside my office.

I think Martin is the biggest, easiest way to make Bakker converts.  Although, I almost want to put the Judging Eye in with it.  I know it sounds like blasphemy, but I think a lot of readers might benefit from starting there.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 12:38:00 pm »
You can't start in the middle!

Other than that blasphemy, that is a really great idea.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »
It's just that TDTCB felt so awkwardly constructed.  I picked it up and put it down at least 2 times before actually reading it through.  I think he really hit his stride in the next book and The Judging Eye is so much more straight forward than TDTCB.  Plus!  The new readers would get to his latest book sooner, thus aiding the Unholy Consult fervor?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:05 pm »
One must begin at the beginning. TSA must be followed sequentially or you lose everything that makes it great. Everything has been meticulously crafted, and if you start in the middle you might as well not have started at all... imo.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 07:56:26 pm »
Must be a joke.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 05:54:07 pm »
Thought I'd leave these here. Contact information for the last two publicity managers at Overlook.  Got it from a printouts inside of ARC's of TTT and TWLW. Attachments are cropped due to size limitations

From TWLW new release:
Kate Gales
kgales@overlookny.com

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 05:54:31 pm »
From TTT. Attachment is cropped due to size limitations

From TTT news release:
John Mark Boling
Publicity Manager
212-673-2534
jmboling@overlookny.com

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 06:28:27 am »
One must begin at the beginning. TSA must be followed sequentially or you lose everything that makes it great. Everything has been meticulously crafted, and if you start in the middle you might as well not have started at all... imo.

I have to agree.  If you read just a few chapters in TSA, there are sooo many spoilers that the entire first trilogy will be severely weakened. 

I also do agree that book 1 is hard to get into because it starts you off with so many different things happening at once, and a casual reader might not be interested/invested enough yet to care and might just give up.  All we can do about that is promise them its like Game of Thrones and to be patient. 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 03:31:57 pm »
All we can do about that is promise them its like Game of Thrones and to be patient. 

I cringe when I hear that, but really its true. I know plenty of people will disagree with me, and that fine, but to me, GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother :P.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 09:32:47 pm »
All we can do about that is promise them its like Game of Thrones and to be patient. 

I cringe when I hear that, but really its true. I know plenty of people will disagree with me, and that fine, but to me, GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother :P.

YES :) GoT is Hodor compared to Bakker :)