Book Tour

• 31 Replies

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:09:53 am »
Does Bakker usually do tours when he releases books?  I got to see GRRM when book 5 came out (total disappointment) and had him sign my old kindle case with a sharpie lol.  Id be willing to drive quite a ways for to let my nerdy inner fanboy get an autograph and a pic with Kellhus I mean Scott    :-[

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:32:36 am »
Yeah that would be great. If he came to the UK I would take some time off and get a hotel nearby so I could shake the guys hand and pry some teases from him (before I went home and devoured TUC).

Garet Jax

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:56:22 pm »
I am not confident that his books have made enough $ for him to do a release tour...

...The amount of money I would pay to meet the man and buy him a beer.

EDIT: Unless we all plan our own  trip to Canada or create a kick starter campaign, I think the outlook looks a little bleak.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:02:50 pm by Garet Jax »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:46 pm »
Not that I've heard of. He seldom does public appearances but I imagine that if something comes up it will certainly be posted here. He doesn't seem particularly outgoing in terms of selling/promoting his books, so I'd really be surprised if he did an official tour.

geoint, the money thing is pretty much going to be decided by this time next year. With his all his planned book releases in the upcoming year, he will know if it is something that he can afford to do full time. I'd guess if he is successful enough in the next year, we might have a tour of some kind, but even then its not particularly likely.

Save up some money to make a trip to Canada. If he ever shows up, that's where it will be.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:07 pm »
I just don't think he could draw in the crowds to make it worthwhile. I know Daniel Abraham had one recently that was limited to a very small region around his home and attendees said there was really like no one there.

I would help fund/coordinate something if we wanted to plan some kind of small meet up once TUC is released though.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »
Bolivar that is potentially a great idea. But I fear you are correct.
At the reading I went too, There were a total of 2 people there that had actually read the series, which were me and a good friend of mine I brought along. The others, about 10, were taking a class and presumably got some kind of credit for showing up (the class's professor was also there). That was right around Bakker's home town.

It would feel like a waste of time and money for several hundred dollars of flight tickets and travel expenses to show up to some empty room with for a pair of die-hard fans.

Even if all the active members here, at Westeros, and those that built the Wiki's all showed up at one place, we'd end up with like 10-20 people. We need more voices. Maybe after TUC comes out there will be an uptick in interest.

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 03:51:16 pm »
You're probably right.  Damnit Scott put some singing dwarves, fair elf maidens or schools of witchcraft and wizardry in the books and then you would have to fight through armies of fans to get to the book stores!

But then it wouldn't be the same awesome series I know and love...  I can wait though.  Hopefully in a few years the series will have gained more attention and popularity and some type of meeting might be possible. 

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:17:34 pm »
Yeah, that's why I think our best bet would be take account of who's going, pick the least prohibitive city, everyone chips in for His Arcane Holiness, and we all crash a dive bar or something. It would be awesome if we could pull it off with everyone buying cheap bus tickets but I doubt it would be that simple.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »
Yeah, that's why I think our best bet would be take account of who's going, pick the least prohibitive city, everyone chips in for His Arcane Holiness, and we all crash a dive bar or something. It would be awesome if we could pull it off with everyone buying cheap bus tickets but I doubt it would be that simple.

I need to explore the the forum more in my solitude. I miss so much.

We do have an international membership here - but you're completely right, proximity to Bakker somewhat determines an endeavour like this.

But it seems easily accomplished and there are only so many practical hurdles towards organizing something like this.

Start generating a buzz everywhere there are Bakker fans. Try and get those interested to participate in one thread or poll so we can vet cities (I assume the majority of Bakker fandom is in the states, at the moment). Crowd-source funds as per suggestions - I would approach Bakker about dates somewhere around this point, should there be evidence of interest. Maybe rent a hall in a hotel for an hour or two so Bakker can actually, you know, do some work and give us a talk about writing the series or something ;). Then go crash a dive-bar with those interested. Sleep it off at original hotel/conference booking. Voila.

I'd call it BakkerCon but this series allows for much more imaginative Pronouns.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:28:54 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 03:27:01 pm »
lmao Bakkercon. More imaginative indeed.

Flying in/out of Chicago, as suggested above, is pretty much terrible, but the City I hear is great (though all the things are expensive).

Buffalo NY is a couple hour drive for Bakker, has a smallish but functional airport, and is also close to Niagara Falls for those who'd make a trip out of it. The city is just OK, but depending on where you end up there are several different Colleges around so I'm sure plenty of bars.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

CorwinusJ

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »
Damn, us South-East Europeans won't get the chance to meet him... yet.

Though, I do know at least two people who have read the books, one of them is a girl(and she loves the books) and another woman might also have read it.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 08:08:14 pm »
Welcome to the site shadowsc2.

I think, with your alleged 3, there are at around 10 people in Europe that have read TSA that I know of. Should get together a summit in Switzerland or something.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 03:58:39 pm »
Two votes for Buffalo.

So, what, like 2016, some time in the summer so its not terribly cold?