Power Levels

• 5 Replies

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:39:36 pm »
I don't think anyone disputes that the Gnosis (or Metagnosis) is the strongest magic, but as far as the rest of the sorceries, how would you rank them from highest to lowest in strength?
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:50:19 pm »
I'd say the Cish. We have many instances of Akka and others talking about the power and beauty of the Water. Also, I believe Meppa is on a whole other level and might give some Gnostic sorcerers of lesser power a run for their money. Hell, might come to find out he could give any of the a battle for the ages. Remember, Pstama says he has an "ocean" of Water.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:52:40 am »
The Psukhe turns more on dispositions than on learning, so it makes sense that dispositional savants would attain great power. But the metaphysics are different, so it's really like comparing apples and oranges. The Psukhe possesses a more volatile range.

Otherwise, the Metagnosis, the Gnosis, and the Anagogis is the generally accepted rank.

Mithfânion

• Suthenti
  • Herald of Winter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 10:34:03 am »
Metagnosis?

As per the dictionary:

the doctrine that knowledge of the Absolute is within human reach, but through a higher religious consciousness rather than by logical processes.

Now that is fascinating. "Has he grasped the Absolute?" suddenly takes on another meaning.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:44:48 am by Mithfânion »
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 11:57:11 am »
Metagnosis?

As per the dictionary:

the doctrine that knowledge of the Absolute is within human reach, but through a higher religious consciousness rather than by logical processes.

Now that is fascinating. "Has he grasped the Absolute?" suddenly takes on another meaning.

Nice find.

The Psukhe turns more on dispositions than on learning, so it makes sense that dispositional savants would attain great power. But the metaphysics are different, so it's really like comparing apples and oranges. The Psukhe possesses a more volatile range.

Otherwise, the Metagnosis, the Gnosis, and the Anagogis is the generally accepted rank.

Certainly there are levels within each. How much overlap is there? Does the grandmaster of an Anagogic school stand a chance against any sorcerers of (the) rank in a gnostic school, etc.?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:38:28 pm »
An accomplished anagogic Grandmaster would likely prove too much to handle for young students of the Gnosis, certainly.