YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 21, 2017, 01:55:08 pm »
Reading The Black Company while I wait for The Stone Sky to come out.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2017, 08:52:17 pm »
Moby Dick, and The Great Sea (a history of the Mediterranean).  In both cases re-reads
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2017, 10:24:18 am »
The Autumn of The Middle Ages, the classic essay of Huizinga.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2017, 08:54:50 pm »
Has somebody read the Gormenghast series by Mervyn Peake?

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
Homo Deus by  Yuval Noah Harari. Diving into Sapiens once I finish.

For fiction... nothing at the moment. My fiction reading hinged on TUC coming out, and in its wake, it's hard to contemplate anything but a complete SA re-read, though I'm loath to promise that amount of time toward anything at the moment.
Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2017, 05:47:25 pm »

I listened to the first one.  I think I missed a few things, but I thought it was pretty good.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2017, 05:54:22 pm »

I listened to the first one.  I think I missed a few things, but I thought it was pretty good.

Yah! Gormenghast,  --- Hiro jumping up and down, waving his arms ---, it's absolutely brilliant!!

Know what you're getting into, though. The buildup is very, very slow, but the writing is never less than impressive, creative, funny, poetic, incisive etc. You should be ready to slow down and concentrate on the scene or even sentence at hand, instead of wishing to rush to see where things are going. And all this buildup gets terrific, I say fabulous payoffs later on. Peake can write ANYTHING. Great characters, decor, humor, atmosphere, action, set pieces (oh boy!)...go for it!

To warm you up, I have put several quotes here:

http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=768.0

Mystery denotes darkness

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2017, 06:05:56 pm »
must read

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 26, 2017, 01:00:38 am »
Has anyone read Mark Lawrence's "Prince of Thorns"? It got recommended to me the other day and wanted to know any thoughts on it before I add it to my list  ;D
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2017, 06:20:05 am »
@KTB, I've read it awoke ago and I liked it. Your standard fair fantasy, a little above par. I like his second series The Red Queens War better. But, you should read the series in order as the overlap sort of, and take place in the same world. Definitely worth the read.

If your wanting something close to Banker, imo, try A Land Fit for Heroes trilogy by Richard Morgan. On my list, it ranks right below TSA. I don't know why I haven't tried his sci-do series, but I will.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2017, 06:39:58 am »
Thanks MSJ, I'll check it out!
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

Hand of Yawgmoth

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
  • Curse Likaro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2017, 04:25:30 am »
Just about done with Mark Lawrence's Wheel of Osheim.

Recently started rereading Heroes Die.
To know is to have power over the world. To believe is to have power over men.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #237 on: October 06, 2017, 05:00:48 am »
Will be starting Malazan(Gardens of the Moon) once I'm on my way to New Orleans.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2017, 05:29:33 am »
Quote from:  Dora Bee
Will be starting Malazan(Gardens of the Moon) once I'm on my way to New Orleans.

I am a huge Malazan fan, I've read most of Esselmont too. His new series is great, tells the take of how the Malazan Empire came to be. The story of how Dancer and Kellavand came to meet, you'll meet them soon. Also, just finished both books so far in the Kharkanas Trilogy by Erikson, which tells the take of how Magic and the Tiste came to be. I know, gin bed grabber to you now, but you'll soon understand...somewhat.

Advice. GotM is a lot like PoN that you just have to read it. Don't worry about try I g to remember all the names, places, races and such. It'll come. Just focus on the story, which take a little bit to get going and understand exactly what's going on. Its the same advice I would give anyone reading TDTCB, just stick it out, it's worth it. Good Luck. I read the entire 10 books of The Malazan Book of the Fallen, one after the other a couple years back. I've just now returned to the world, and loved every bit of it.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:20 am »
IMO, nothing is better than Malazan except TSA.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers