Excerpt - The Unholy Consult, Chapter Three (Summary)

• 56 Replies

Nil'giccas

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 05:36:18 am »
I finally made the jump to the new board, and am not disappointed! I had no idea that Bakker read an excerpt so this was like stumbling on a gold mine.  I have to say, I'm jealous about getting the opportunity to meet and talk with Bakker.  One of these days, I hope to have the opportunity to meet him and pick his brain a bit.

Now, if only Bakker would finish the TUC so we can read the damn thing!

Off topic question, do most of you regular board users follow Bakker's blog? 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 05:50:09 pm »
Yeah he did :) I just changed the title of this post because the earlier title did not make it easy to find. I'm glad that after 2 days someone discovered it.

As far as followers of Three Pound Brain, I'm not sure. I myself tried to follow it for a while but decided that it was way over my head. I never mustered the interest to commit to it. I know there are at least a hand full of people here that avidly follow and comment in TPB, and some of them have the same/similar names there. Sciborg and Callan S come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:14 pm »
The-Wind-Has-Teeth returns! Welcome back, Athjeari.

I follow TPB somewhat religiously. I value, and attempt to honour, Bakker's intentions to engage disparate groups, because communication matters, though in regards to distinguishing his Blind Brain Theory, I simply have other academic matters that I wish to pursue; inevitably, of course, I devote some hours of my life to all things Bakker, including his more scholarly pursuits.

On that note, Bakker just mentioned in his latest offering that TUC's first draft is about two weeks from completion (he's a writing machine, really clockwork, despite having to downsize his writing hours to, you know... work for money ;)).

Cheers.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 07:52:34 pm »
Sciborg and Callan S come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

It's been awhile since I really felt I knew what was going on at TPB. It's definitely encouraged me to better understand philosophy, but as a layman reading Wikipedia mixed a few academic essays it's not an easy going.

I do think this board could use some love, especially as a place to consolidate and keep track of the varied theories. The Westeros threads are great, but it's a headache trying to find a theory or idea in them from months to years past.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 08:15:37 pm »
You could always catalog them somewhere over here if you wanted :P

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 01:46:07 am »
You could always catalog them somewhere over here if you wanted :P

Yeah, I'm not sure how much I want to dig through Westeros's archives but I was thinking a thread on the magic systems would be good.

Also, someone over there suggested a tree imagery catalog which I'll start.

RandolphCarter

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 04:55:51 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Sorweel and Moe have a private conversation. Sorweel asks wtf did Serwa do to him back there. Moe dodges the question and again asks how/why do you still love us.
Moe says to Sorweel "You are not who you think you are"
Sor asks Why. Moe ignores the questions for a while, then says "You will know soon enough"
Sor "When?"
Moe "Before we die"

Wonder if this lines up with the following theory about Sorweel?

In any event, Kellhus didn't fulfill Niom because Moenghus is not his son (unless metaphysical adoption etc).  Perhaps Moe is the enemy and Sorweel is the son?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 09:16:06 pm »
It could offer evidence of corroboration.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, RC. Nice name, btw, many Lovecraft supporters here.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 08:22:01 am »
it would be pretty hilarious if sorweel was Kellhus' son.   Because Sorweel is 'accusing' Moenghus and Sewa of incest.  What they are doing is not incest in the strict sense of the word.  But if Sorweel is Kellhus' son and sorweel wants to fuck Serwa, Sorweel wants to commit incest.  Quite literally, Sorweel is projecting the crime/sin he wants to commit onto others and accusing them of being guilty of the crimes/sins he's committing in his mind/soul/heart.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »
it would be pretty hilarious if sorweel was Kellhus' son.   Because Sorweel is 'accusing' Moenghus and Sewa of incest.  What they are doing is not incest in the strict sense of the word.  But if Sorweel is Kellhus' son and sorweel wants to fuck Serwa, Sorweel wants to commit incest.  Quite literally, Sorweel is projecting the crime/sin he wants to commit onto others and accusing them of being guilty of the crimes/sins he's committing in his mind/soul/heart.

Hmm, this would fit with that odd part in TJE where Proyas is talking to Sorweel's dad and saying something about Kellhus being there before.  Also, that chorae hoard didn't seem to bother Kellhus like it did the mandati teaching sheyic to Sorweel.  Wonder if Kellhus found a way to negate it's effects but doesn't want to reveal this trick in full until a crucial moment when a member of the Consult/white luck warrior touches him with a chorae.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 05:27:51 pm »
The group ends up at some nameless ruins, that Moe affectionately dubs "Nameless".
Something is briefly mentioned by Serwa that some of the stones have strange bruises. (The Mark I guess) She says though that its so faint she can barely see it. Different than any she has seen before.

Maybe Titirga's old stomping ground.

Madness, any explanation later on about said rocks, or just a passing comment for us over-speculators?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2014, 02:04:12 pm »
I really enjoy that you assume (and are validated by my response) that I'm always just hovering around reading these ;).

Lol - And I will not answer you.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2014, 03:28:29 pm »
Titirgas new stomping ground...

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2014, 05:43:14 pm »
There is a scene were Serwa freaks out on Sor. She grabs him and starts screaming at him, asking him WHY DO YOU LOVE US. (It seems like she can almost recognize that he can hide/is hiding something but she can't tell what/how)
So then she casts some flashy spell thingy. He whines some more about being in pain then he suddenly starts having flashbacks and from the day his father was killed to now. Several scenes are recounted and he mentions the various scenes with his now dead slave and Yatwer.

Did you get the impression that this was a compulsion bit?  Serwa is extracting answers while Sorweel is off in lala land?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43:37 am »
Yeah its been mentioned before. Could be our first first-person POV of the compulsions.