Steven Erikson (The 3.5 million word journey?)

• 198 Replies

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 12:16:29 pm »
So I finished DG the other day and the second half of that book was fantastic. Duiker was a blast to follow around on the chain of dogs:)

Just finished the prologue of MOI and I have a question.

(click to show/hide)

Garet Jax

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 02:05:34 pm »

So I finished DG the other day and the second half of that book was fantastic. Duiker was a blast to follow around on the chain of dogs:)

Just finished the prologue of MOI and I have a question.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 02:22:13 pm »
It depends on what you mean by 'know', but there have been some discussions on the subject spread throughout GotM and DG. However, It is further explained/discussed in MoI, so I wouldn't worry about it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 06:02:06 pm »
Well, I asked because it is at least a year since I read GOTM and I remember little of it. I was on and off with DG for about 6 months, until I finally finished it a couple of days ago.

I feel fairly committed now, so I will stick to Erikson for now. If I drop off once more, I have eternally failed to complete this journey

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 06:15:30 pm »
I'm pretty hooked, but its a long way to the end so I won't make any promises. I will say that the end of each one so far has made me very interesting in moving on to the next, even being aware that the story lines aren't likely to continue from one to the next.

Francis Buck

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 08:31:28 pm »
I read a little over fifty pages. I really don't like the writing style at all. I'm still interested in it just because it's clearly a giant super epic fantasy, of which there really aren't that many, but at this point I just couldn't get into it. I don't even know how to describe the writing. It's not "bad". In fact, it seems like Erickson is clearly a good writer. It basically feels like a good writer intentionally trying to write in a style that does not come naturally to him. Or something. I don't know.

I'll try it again. Someday.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 08:54:37 pm »
I read LOTR because it was a classic, didn't enjoy any of it, but that was 3 books not 10, and Erikson is not Tolkien :P.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:49:38 am by Wilshire »

Francis Buck

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 09:20:16 pm »
I read LOTR because it was a classic, didn't enjoy any of it, but that was 3 books not 10, and Erickson is not Tolkien :P.

Ironically, I've just recently been getting more into LOTR. I read The Hobbit when I was young, and The Silmarillion is one of my favorite books, but I've never read any of the LOTR books straight through, and most of what I have read is the first book. I don't know why but the books just never clicked with me enough to be engaged, despite loving the movies, universe, etc.

But, something happened, because I've been reading a lot of different parts of the first two LOTR books and I think I'm just going to start from the beginning and do it all. A big part of it is just that it's one of the few fantasies that feels the most like Bakker to me, as at least as far as world-building and the general approach to it (which obviously is no coincidence).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:27:18 pm by Francis Buck »

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 05:28:44 pm »
Francis, keep in mind that GotM was written long before the other books. His writing style "develops" quite a bit during the following books. Maybe just pick up the second book or even the third and read a bit into it and see what you think. And he gets "better" * with every book.
* better in quotation marks because, well, better is kind of subjective. I, for example, loved his early books a lot. His latter books are sometimes too cluttered up with introspection and philosophise-ing.

Btw, the man is named Erikson, not Erickson. And this is not only smartass-ing from my side but it's also important because there is an Erickson author (i think he even writes fantasy-ish stuff).

As to Tolkien's work: i am totally in love with the Silmarillion. Such an awesome story and so...beautifully written. Sure, it's not everyone's thing...it has kind of an archaic style...but it's just epic. The Silmarillion is Tolkien's best work, period. Hobbit and LotR is nothing against the big S.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Francis Buck

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 07:27:48 pm »
Btw, the man is named Erikson, not Erickson. And this is not only smartass-ing from my side but it's also important because there is an Erickson author (i think he even writes fantasy-ish stuff).S.

Hah, good to know. I remember hearing people speaks of this before.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 03:54:17 am »
I haven't heard that abou silmarillion, I'll consider it...

As for erikson, I can't believe I spelled it incorrectly  again. I even know how it's spelled but my fingers want to add the c. I feel less bad because it's not his real name, but it's still pretty bad.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:52 pm »
FB I felt the same as you although I did finish GotM, I found it enjoyable but it just seemed a bit flat somehow. Like I didnt really get to know who the people were or the nations. I am going to give the series another concerted effort at some point but unfortunately, Wilshire this will hurt, I am not going to push him onto this years reading targets.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 04:24:53 pm »
Started House of Chains. Really strange to only have one main PoV, but its entertaining watching his path interact indirectly with the other stories. Maybe getting a feel for how the rest of the series will shake out once things start converging.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 04:38:42 pm »
Is this Karsa Orlong?

House of Chains might be one of my favorites... certainly one of the more memorable.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 05:18:35 pm »
Yeah thats the one. His story is really interesting.