Seswatha's Escape

• 37 Replies

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 01:31:16 am »
It's one of my more cherished pet-theories that Seswatha looked into the Inverse Fire and saw what Damnation was, and then realized that the Consult was more or less correct in their goal of wanting to stop it, at least in spirit, but he had a better way of going about it; the Dunyain. The Dunyain, however, by their nature, would "forget" about the past (and the Gnosis), so he had to create the Mandate so that the history would be remembered. Eventually the two would cross paths (see: Akka and Kellhus) and combine their purposes. Seswatha wants to end damnation, but he also wants to stop the Consult.

It's like Seswatha grasped the Millionfold Thought. 

Francis Buck

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 02:03:47 am »
How do you mean?

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 03:27:29 am »
How do you mean?

Just joking about how far into the future Seswatha would have needed to have seen to plan the Dunyain and the Mandate meeting up 2,000 years later.

Francis Buck

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 04:21:49 am »
How do you mean?

Just joking about how far into the future Seswatha would have needed to have seen to plan the Dunyain and the Mandate meeting up 2,000 years later.

Hah, true enough. Just to be clear, I certainly should've mentioned that I was presuming the Seswatha homunculus still possesses sufficient volition to guide the Mandate towards the necessary direction (which I definitely think is happening on some level). This works with Kellhus hypnotizing Akka ("I must speak with him"). As far as we've been told, Kellhus does indeed speak with Seswatha, or something reminiscent of him, and from that he's granted the Gnosis, which unless Kellhus is lying (always a possibility), means that in some way Seswatha willingly gave the Gnosis to a Dunyain. It also has ties with Akka's ambiguous and timely dreams. As Bakker said (not verbatim), we should be more concerned with the timing of the dreams, rather than the content, so much. Which, to me, implies that Seswatha is on some level intentionally guiding what dreams Akka has, in order for him to properly grasp the situation at hand and act accordingly. This also works with Fate and Akka. There's nothing special about him, really. He was simply the right man in the right place at the right time. He's the one that Seswatha needed to enact the plan (whatever it is), the one who happened to fill the right set of circumstances. And this, too, ties into an idea others have proposed (that I very much like) regarding Kellhus being the Messiah; it's not something a particular person was necessarily destined for, but instead it's a set a parameters that, once filled, makes that person the Messiah. Or in Akka's case, the Whoreson of Fate, the Chosen One of Seswatha.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »
It's one of my more cherished pet-theories that Seswatha looked into the
(click to show/hide)
, at least in spirit, but he had a better way of going about it; the Dunyain.

FB, I'm not sure how we should distinguish the Atrocity Tales but spoiler warning (this is TTT). Just notation. Thread's been good.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:40:57 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 03:17:31 pm »
It's one of my more cherished pet-theories that
(click to show/hide)
, and then realized that the Consult was more or less correct in their goal of wanting to stop it, at least in spirit, but he had a better way of going about it; the Dunyain. The Dunyain, however, by their nature, would "forget" about the past (and the Gnosis), so he had to create the Mandate so that the history would be remembered. Eventually the two would cross paths (see: Akka and Kellhus) and combine their purposes. Seswatha wants to end damnation, but he also wants to stop the Consult.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 03:35:01 pm »
Lol, I've assumed you meant to hit modify and modified your original post accordingly ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 04:16:02 am »
i have nothing to add about how ses escaped, but one thing sticks out to me about this event: what about compulsions?

we know akka resisted the scarlet spires compulsions because of seswathat within, but how did it go with seswatha? 

possibilities:
1) ses told them everything because there is no way to resist compulsions other than being possessed by an ancient and powerful sorcerer (would he have planned for this eventuality?)
2) ses resists the compulsions via superior skills - would be the first we know of
3) ses resists the compulsion via possession - who moves the unmoved mover?
4) ses was not compelled - why would mekeritrig miss this opportunity? he's already got the collar on him

i think this is significant because i'm counting on someone in tuc or later to appear compelled but really be free, cast doubt on the efficacy of compulsions