Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2014, 05:39:41 pm »
Open invitation to partake in TSACast #4, possibly (hopefully) sometime this afternoon/evening.

And obviously, as per my last post, someone needs to suggest a thematic intent for #4 ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2014, 06:09:56 pm »
Have you looked into Soundcloud for podcast hosting? For example.

For topic ideas, is it possible to have an episode that focuses on the Prologue of Book I? (For that you'd need Locke though, don't know if anyone else has obsessed over it as much.)

Other suggestions,
1. The No-God (Podcast has had no NG discussions so far, right?)
2. Celmomian Prophecy (or the possibility of prophecies in general)
3. Cuno-Inchoroi Wars
4. The Judging Eye

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2015, 02:55:53 am »
TSACast #5 - The Benjuka Plate - Notes

- Zsoronga is the Zeümi Prince riding with the Ordeal, a surety against the treachery of his father, Satakhan Nganka’kull.
- I couldn't seem to say Satakhan or Nganka'kull.
- Malowebi: Bakker's new favorite to write.
- Hotlist Interview 2009: On Comparison to Martin and introducing too many new characters.
- Locke post about Cûnoroi Womb Chorae Westeros/SA
- Sorcerous Artifacts/Weapons of Animata
- Unclear on how long before the Breaking of the Gates the Nonmen retire to Ishterebinth but the Nonman Tutelage begins in 555 Year-of-the-Tusk.
- Bakker's commentary on Nonmen Numbers, circa '05.
- Ugh... and I'm going to be eternally bugged by the fact that I can't remember this White-Luck/Narindar commentary (notation until found).
- Bakker's comment on TUC split.

Thanks to Quorumtender for organizing and participating alongside Wilshire and SilentRoamer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:13:56 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2015, 03:28:16 am »
Things I could find about the WLW. Probably not what you were looking for.

p376 WLW US
Esmi and WLW
"What is your name?
Issiral
Issiral... she repeated struggling to recall the meaning of the Shigeki word. "Fate?" she asked frowning and smiling. "Who named you this?"
"my Mother"

p376
Esmi: "I thought Narindar were devotees of the Four-Horned Brother ... "
WLW: Devotion? The Brother cares not for our cares, only that we murder in His Name"

p370
Imhailas: "You must understand, all of this is kind of prayer for them" ... "The penultimate ... act ... does not stand apart form the acts that feed into it. In their eyes, this very discussion is an integral component of the ... the ..."
"The assassination," Esmenet said.

One of the other conditions of possibility.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2015, 04:42:44 am »
*eyes narrow in suspicion*

Is that a typo?  If not, where can I find TSAcast 4#? lol

Edit: I'd like to toss my name into the metaphorical hat.  Maybe join up for the next cast.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:46:47 am by Hirtius/Pansa »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2015, 01:58:17 pm »
Awesome! We don't have a lot of volunteers so the wait list is short. You can be on the next one if you'd like, once we figure out when and where. PM's will be coming your way.

As per #4, it was recorded but not released. I did not participate in it, but I do believe the sound quality was low, and topics wandered a bit (also maybe one or two beers to many ;) ... did you hear the beer bottle *clinking* in the background of #5 :P ). Its locked in the Coffers, for now, and it nost currently planned to be released. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:59:56 pm by Wilshire »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2015, 02:31:33 pm »
Well as always I was sufficiently baked but enjoyed participating in the cast as always! Hopefully the love of the Halfling leaf served to blow the cobwebs from the mind rather than a dulling of the wits.

Having been in a few of the casts now I am more than happy to stand aside for the next few (assuming we get some more participants) as I would love to know other peoples thoughts and opinions. Myself/Madness/Wilshire/Garet Jax/Mrganandorf/Francis Buck have discussed a lot of content at length with each other (on the forums/during casts/general Skype chats) and I would love to discuss/hear the perspectives of other members of the fandom.

Great job everyone - lets keep the casts rolling.

:)

Garet Jax

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2015, 07:42:35 pm »
Edit: I'd like to toss my name into the metaphorical hat.  Maybe join up for the next cast.

Great to hear, Hirtius/Pansa!  Hopefully many others will follow your lead and participate.  I would love to hear others speculation on TSA content.

I echo Silent Roamers sentiments, while I have thoroughly enjoyed participating and look forward to doing so in the future, I belive the time has come for some fresh blood ;)

Cheers, Madness, Wilshire and Silent Roamer, as always, it was a blast!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:59:12 pm by Garet Jax »

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2015, 02:16:01 pm »
Glad you guys finally posted another one, enjoyed it as always!

I can try to get on one too, just give me a heads up when the next one is. The fiance is away so I got plenty of time this weekend if anyone feels up to it or just skyping in general.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2015, 02:28:02 pm »
Though we have missed about a month now, Thursdays are typically skype day.  We might have to work out a new time, but if you send me/Madness a skype account we'll add you onto the list.

I likely can'd do this weekend, but we now have a small group who have said they would participate, so we should really get going, maybe even this weekend if the other's are available (though everyone says they need advanced notice, it seems that spontaneous casts have worked often enough). Evenings EST (GMT -5) are typically when we do this stuff, but its not terribly convenient for anyone :P.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »
Yeah I often find myself chatting to these reprobates until the early hours of the morning - pretty sure it was like 3 am here when one of the casts ended!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2015, 03:37:39 pm »
Saturday, Bolivar?

Traditionally, I put the onus on newcomers to decide content :P. Hirtius/Pansa wants to either follow with the Almanac and do a chapter by chapter breakdown or, possibly as GJ put it, do a Cast per book.

But MG was passionate about hearts and Moenghus the Elder and it was great fodder for him and FB on Cast #2.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2015, 08:33:40 pm »
Sure, i can definitely set aside some time Saturday.

How about we break down the Knife of Many Hands? That way we talk about something topical and there's a lot there we could branch off to. We can probably work something out for anyone who hasn't read it.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2015, 09:34:48 pm »
Its like $2. Make them buy it :P

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2015, 03:29:37 am »
Alrighty - TSACast #8 Notes

Yes, unfortunately, Cast #8. For posterity:

- Cast #4 was GJ, SR, and I. On playback, I decided that SR's mic flares are uncomfortable to listen to. I've tried and tried to edit it without eventually reducing the overall sound quality. If anyone ever reads this and has some audio-editing know-how, get in touch.

- Cast #5: Bolivar, GJ, FB, and I. Unfortunately, FB was recording and dropped out. There's about forty minutes of Cast; Bolivar's introduction and some of The Knife of Many Hands: Part 1 discussion.

- Cast #6: Bolivar, GJ, SR, and I. Unfortunately, GJ was recording and dropped out. There's about a half hour of Cast; Bolivar's (second, shorthand) introduction and some of The Knife of Many Hands: Part 1 discussion.

- We also have three or four PreCast/AfterCast recordings, which we are burying in the Coffers with these other Casts. At some arbitrary time (probably after we've continued to accumulate and professionalize enough of our Casts), we're going to release these LostCasts.

TSACast #8 was a fun time, we had lots of laughs, and some great general SFF discussion in the AfterCast. Thanks again to geoffrobro for joining in and to SR and Wilshire for being regularly awesome ;). Sorry for the cutting out - much of it we didn't hear in recording, though some of it we did.

TSACast #8 Notes:

- Malazan Book of the Fallen - Just in case anyone else doesn't know.

- Duskweaver/Inchoroi thread that kept coming up throughout the Cast.

- Halaroi quote I couldn't find all episode:

Nonmen: The Nonmen call themselves ji'cûnû roi, "the People of Dawn," for reasons they can no longer remember. (They call Men j'ala roi, "the People of Summer," because they burn so hot and pass so quickly.)

We were all a little wrong on that one, I think.

- Ah, we attributed the Ark cubit measurements to Duskweaver, I believe. Right thread, wrong person. Somnambulist, however, measured out the Ark for us :D:

We're actually given the exact dimensions of the Ark in TTT (kindle version about 47% in) as this:  3000 cubits long, 500 cubits wide and 300 cubits deep.  The standard definition of a cubit is the length from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger.  The book says that Nil'Giccas ordered the measuring of the Ark, and since Bakker stated that on average the Nonmen we're 6 feet tall, the Nonman cubit should be around 18 inches in length.  So with that in mind, the Ark should be about 4500 feet long (not quite a mile), 750 feet wide and 450 feet deep.  It is also stated as being buried into the ground about two-thirds of its entire length (2000 cubits or 3000 feet).

- Ganus the Blind quote, Wilshire mentioned; from Locke's Chapter Headers (WLW):

Skies are upended, poured as milk into the tar of night.  Cities become pits of fire.  The last of the wicked stand with the last of the righteous, lamenting the same woe.  One Hundred and Forty-Four Thousand, they shall be called, for this is their tally, the very number of doom.
   —ANONYMOUS, THE THIRD REVELATION OF GANUS THE BLIND

- Wracu thread; Wütteat - Mechanical vs. Undead vs. Whatever.

- I apparently had dyslexia while reading the quote about Inchoroi creating Wracu:

Quote from: TTT Glossary, p633
Wracu: Immense, fire-spitting, winged repetilian monstrosities created by the Inchoroi during the Cûno-Inchoroi Wars to destroy the Nonmen Quya, then subsequently welded by the No-God during the Apocalypse. Very few are thought to have survived.

- Ciögli and Nonmen growing commentary:

Quote from: TTT Glossary, p544
Cûno-Inchoroi Wars: With his bare hands, Ciögli the Mountain, the strongest of the Ishroi, broke the neck of Wutteät the Black, the Father of Dragons.

The Four Revelations:
As Ciogli makes a bastion of the Father of Dragons, his shouts ringing from his cauldron helm, Bashrag slumping from the arc of his hammer.

The False Sun:
He [Titirga] had stepped forward as he spoke, coming to a halt directly before the Hero-Mage and his legendary wrath. Something in the man’s height and proportion made him [Shaeönanra] think of the Nonmen heros, and how they never ceased growing.

I couldn't find any remaining portion of the mention in Four Revelations nor in the comments.

- Character Heights

- Iyokus' Age Iyokus is born 4014 according to the TTT Glossary. TDTCB opens Ch. 1 at 4110 making Iyokus 96 at the beginning of PON. Add 22 years, Iyokus is 118 at the beginning of TAE.

- Chanv and qirri thread.

- Kellhus' reflection on Topoi (not Topos ;)):
Quote from: TWP, p180
Kellhus himself had dreamt nothing, but he'd seen the bones. According to Gotian, who'd explained the legends regarding the Battleplain in private council two days earlier, this ground had imbided too much blood over the millennia, and now, like over-salted water, had to discharge the old to accommodate the new.

- Literary Topos; Book Topoi:

Quote from: TTT Glossary, p626
topoi: Locations where the accumulation of trauma and suffering has frayed the boundaries between the World and the Outside.

- Three-Seas Author Q&A subforum.

- Prophets vs. Shamans from the Q&A thread A few questions...:

Quote from: Cu'jara Cinmoi, Mar 2005
2)So far, the deepest the histories go is to the Fall, which is to say, the arrival of the Inchoroi in the last Age of Nonmen. At the moment, that feels plenty deep, and it precedes the Tusk by quite a few thousand years. I haven't been looking at the history of Earwa so much from the standpoint of an 'absolute observer,' as from from the standpoint of what is known or thought to be known at the time of the Holy War. This isn't a rule that I adhere to, just a tendency I seem to have largely followed. There are things from the time of the Tusk I do want to flesh out, such as the conflict between the Old Prophets and the Shamans, the question of how the surviving Inchoroi brought Chorae, the 'Tears of God' to the Five Tribes before the Breaking of the Gates, and the Cuno-Halaroi Wars (Halaroi is the Nonman name for Men). Stuff like that.

- The Cleric Suicides thread.

- TUC - Ch. 1 Excerpt

- Nonmen paintings:

"Everything..." she said in a wistful tone. Her eyes seemed to track the passage of ghosts.

"Everything what?"

"The walls... The ceilings. Everywhere, limbs and people cut out of stone—images atop images... Think of the toil!"

"It wasn't always such. The Wolf Gate is an example of how they once adorned their cities. It was only when they began forgetting that they turned to this... this... excess. These are their annals, the accounting of their deeds—great and small."

"Then why not simply paint murals the way we do?"

Achamian found himself approving of this question—another long-dead habit, tingling back to life. "Nonmen can't see paintings," he said with an old man's shrug.

A frowning smile. Despite the anger that always seemed to roll about the nethers of her expression, her skeptical looks always managed to promise a fair accounting.

"It's true," Achamian said. "Paintings are naught but gibberish to their eyes. The Nonmen may resemble us, Mimara, but they are far more different than you can imagine."

"You make them sound frightening."

- Chandeliers & Cemeteries:

The ruined cemetery of Cil-Aujas.

Great ribs and sockets of living stone ravined the ceiling. Hanging from its contours, hundreds of ancient chains cluttered the open reaches, some broken midway to the floor, others still bearing the bronze lantern wheels that had once served as illumination. The floors beneath stretched for what seemed a mile, white with illumination and dust, puckered and furrowed by the long wandering lines of ancient dead. In the distances behind and to either side of the company, walls had been hewn from the scarped confusion, gaining heights easily as great as any of Carythusal's famed towers. Tombs pocked them, row upon row of black holes framed with graven script and images, lending them a wasp-nest malignancy. Immediately before the company, however, the enormous sheaves of debris continued climbing and climbing, sloping up to the very ceiling... Some kind of catastrophic collapse.

- If someone with WLW could provide me with quotes about the 'military squares' in the First Battle of the Horde; I think it's an omnipresent war POV, not Sorweel's POV as I said in episode.

- Ciphrang killing Cishaurim POV:

Quote from: TTT, p407
Sohorat roared, and plaster rained throughout the forest of columns. Flies burst from his maw. Raving wolves bubbled from his palms, smashed the sheets of light, gorged on those cringing behind them. Zioz swept burning threads into his fist, wrenched souls from their housing meat. Setmahaga clawed aside flimsy defences, struck heads from bodies, gloried in the blood that smoked across his limbs. He squealed like a thousand pigs, such was his exultation.

- It is indeed the Serbian, not the Croatian cover art we were talking about. I can't find a good link though (as bakkerfans Pinterest won't show unless you log in).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:31:54 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer