BFK's Gig Journal

• 6 Replies

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:24:50 pm »
A thread for the ongoing adventures of BFK in the lurid demimonde :o of the bar band scene here in my beloved hometown of STL.

Actually, I'll mostly post setlists and overly-detailed post-mortems of my new band's gigs. We have a name, btw!

*****  Wild Wood  *****

Gig #2

Date: Aug. 8, 2018
Venue: Failoni's

This was a benefit for a Pedal The Cause team honoring a dear, departed friend of our guitarist. We played out on the back patio. Weather was hot and humid. The stage sound was difficult for me; I need to reinforce my keyboard/vocal levels on my side of the stage.

Setlist

Riverside - America
Rosewood Bitters - Michael Stanley Band
Heart Of Gold - Neil Young
The Weight - The Band
Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker
Stuck Inside Of Mobile - Bob Dylan
Brain Damage/Eclipse - Pink Floyd
Codeine - Jason Isbell
Willin' - Little Feat

(break)

Is She Really Going Out With Him - Joe Jackson
You Don't Know How It Feels - Tom Petty
Something - The Beatles
Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Captain Jack - Billy Joel
Up On Cripple Creek  - The Band
Blue, Red And Grey - Pete Townsend
Pinball Wizard - The Who
Squeeze Box - The Who
Ripples - Genesis
Band On The Run - Paul McCartney
Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:27:52 pm »
Wild Wood ... hmmmm ... am I looking too deeply into that name as metaphor? Reliving your teen years, BFK?

How's the band doing? Still getting gigs, people not throwing fresh fruit and vegetables at ya ( which would be a step up from rotten ... ).

I've got one thing to say ... FLOOOOYD!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:29:50 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 02:05:59 am »
Wild Wood ... hmmmm ... am I looking too deeply into that name as metaphor? Reliving your teen years, BFK?

How's the band doing? Still getting gigs, people not throwing fresh fruit and vegetables at ya ( which would be a step up from rotten ... ).

I've got one thing to say ... FLOOOOYD!
Thanks, Tao! Yes, as always, Tao, you are reading TOO MUCH into "Wild Wood". We'll see whether or not the chicks ladies approve of that reading....

Early days, but our home base (Failoni's) digs us. No other Pink Floyd tunes on the agenda at the moment. "Ripples" was very approximate, just myself and the guitarist. I was playing the harmonies with my right hand while reading the chord chart from the smartphone held in my left hand. Now, for my next trick....seriously, Ripples is a great Genesis song from before they got huge. Needs more work. And, I need a tablet! "Wave of the future, dude."
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 03:37:50 am »
A trick of the Beard!

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:00:58 am »
A trick of the Beard!
Well played! "A Trick Of The Tail" is one of my favorite recordings! It was great to attempt "Ripples" live. Now....on to "Los Endos"!

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 07:09:34 pm »
A trick of the Beard!
Well played! "A Trick Of The Tail" is one of my favorite recordings! It was great to attempt "Ripples" live. Now....on to "Los Endos"!

That old Genesis stuff is wicked - I admit I'm not a big fan of Genesis, but they've had a great history.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 04:52:44 pm »
Next gig is Aug. 25. We hope to debut the Abbey Road medley. It's slowly falling into place. This is the fun part of being in a band: the early days, when possibilities seem endless, even for us old guys. "Ripples"? Fuck yeah, let's try it! Abbey Road medley? Fuck yeah, let's try it! Everybody challenging their own musicianship, searching for a group feel that works. High cotton.