• 15 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:28:39 pm »
Quote from: Truth Shines
I'm sure many of you already know the entry on the Warrior Prophet on Wikiquote.  I've been re-reading TTT just recently, and have come across a lot of great quotes.  I'm thinking why don't we do a project and create an entry for each of these books?  Each person can be responsible for a particular chapter or section.  We'll pool them together, talk about them, then post them to Wikiquote.  These can include both those opening quotes -- fictional proverbs, aphorisms -- from various chapters, as well as particularly pithy dialogues.

Just from TTT, two great examples (I'm quoting from memory, so they are inexact):

Example of Aphorism -- Truth and hope are two travelers in contrary directions.  They meet but once in any man's life.

Example of Dialogue -- (Moenghus to Kellhus): Set aside your convictions.  The feeling of certainty is no more a marker of truth than the feeling of will is a marker of freedom.  The deceived always think themselves certain, just as they always think themselves free.  This is simply what it means to be deceived.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:28:48 pm »
What?  No one is interested?  I would have done it myself but the project is a little too big.  It would have been much better if more people join in.

Another excellent one for inspiration:

It is said faith is hope confused for knowledge.  Why believe, when hope alone is enough?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:28:54 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I hadn't heard of Wikiquote before your post, TS, but it is intriguing.

However, if there was a project I could afford time to tackle at the moment, beyond simply posting, it'd be the re-read for me. It's an experiment in crowd-sourcing, deducing and, in ways, generating the mysteries of Bakker's mind.

I often say I'm a full-time student, full-time employee, and I just want to be full-time Madness. Lol.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:02 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Its an interesting idea, and there are a lot of quotes around here, and I've got a lot of quotes I personally like from the books.

Like Madness said though, it's a large project, and I've never heard of wikiquotes either, but it would be fun.

If you want it to become something big, something that involves a lot of people, you're going to have to start it. Truth Shines, you should start several topics, maybe one in each bored, one for each book or something. Title it something like "favorite quotes from this book", tell people what you want to do, and start each one by writing down some of your own.

I've got dozens of quotes laying around or marked in my books that I'd post to help get a few posts, but aside from that it would be a bit of a waiting game to see what happens.

After you've got some critical mass of quotes for a book, make one of them wikiquotes pages. I think it would be a great idea and I'll help you with some quotes but I don't know anything about the wikiquotes so that would be on you.

What do ya think?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:08 pm »
Actually, that's a decent proposition. I'd dead tired tonight and it's my first night off in seven - I'm planning on creating some new threads tomorrow. Perhaps we can create a thread for each book or even use lockesnow's existing epigraphs threads and simply post our favoured quotes within them. Clearly, everyone's not reading this thread in particular but it's like the t-shirt ideas...

If you build the thread, the quotes will come :).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:19 pm »
Trolling through the boards and looking for direct quotes worth re-quoting, but perhaps to start my idea could work.

Though for some new guy who hasn't already read everything, maybe they could do some "ctrl+c"-ing and start the project.....
Hey that new guy call_moe seems to be working his way through. Maybe he'd help.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:27 pm »
Ok so here is the link to Bakker's page on this wikiquotes page. It sucks.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/R._Scott_Bakker
Perhaps we can fix this. Im going to start muddling around with it, modeling it after Douglas Adams' page since its big and looks pretty nice.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams

---
edit:
So far I moved the Warrior Prophet page to Bakkers page, and removed the bold (which I believe was added by whoever made the page in most cases)
Adding some place holders for other books and making some kind of format that is easier to look at than wall of text.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:34 pm »
Lol, Wilshire, so inspiring and industrious... Turned right around and spearheaded it.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:40 pm »
Lol, Wilshire, so inspiring and industrious... Turned right around and spearheaded it.
well its this or chemical systems control homework, and thats not due till friday, so why start early?

I suppose I'll start by finishing out the chapter headings for the various books since lockesnow has so kindly done that out for all of us already.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
Wow, I was gonna scour through my books for good chapter headers but lockesnowe beat me to it. Great job. It is my sincere wish to see some of Bakker's quotes immortalized and serving as epigraphs to the ambitious epic fantasy novels of the future. Maybe what Tolkein accomplished with the sheer breadth of his fandom Bakker can accomplish with depth.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:54 pm »
All right there you go Truth Shines. Make somethin' out of it.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:30:01 pm »
Quote from: 4AGdTmCall_Moenghus
Great work.

bbaztek, I'm right there with you rooting for the bronzing of RSB's quotes.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:30:09 pm »
Wow thank you very much for the hard work Wilshire.  I didn't even know there was a page on wikiquote on Bakker.  I'll look more carefully through it and try to add some during this weekend.

This whole thing was inspired by that page on Nietzsche I came across.  Some really smart people even added a lot of interesting pictures to his provocative quotes.  You can really spend a couple of hours just enjoying reading through it.  Eventually, Kellhus willing, we can build something like that for Bakker and The Second Apocalypose.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:30:16 pm »
wow there is a lot of stuff on that page. It would be sweet to have something like that.

I was thinking of moving all the chapter headers into their own section and then subdividing out the books... Rather than what it is now, with chapter headers in each book section.

It may reduce the clutter a bit, and keep the interesting quotes from within the chapters separate from the headers. I dunno.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 04:30:25 pm »
Cheers everyone.

Wilshire, I've got a nice long psych precis to write and Latin midterm tomorrow... first day off in a week and a half. I'd hope we'd seek to overcome these common expressions of heuristic in favour of the possible dividends of social status, academic prestige. Lol, you know, use those fulcrums of collective agency. Affect some change ;).

But our evolving noosphere is simply too cool for this morning moment.