What are you watching?

• 357 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2020, 09:43:21 pm »
I finished the 2nd season of Altered Carbon. Well, same as with the first season, about 4 episodes in I lost interest. But I stuck with it and it got a lot better. Overall, not as good as the first season, but was still descent. The AI steals the show, so much so I care more about it then I do the humans. Not a super clever ending, but pretty good all things considered. It could've been richer, like why the Antagonist is the way he is, that would've been a fun character deep dive ( for those who watch this, I'm talking about the military dude, not the governor ). It's best parts are the VR stuff, the just slightly above average parts is the unlocking of the mystery. It failed to go to hell with itself, which is a risk with this level of tech, but I like some of the philosophical aspects like immortality drives callousness to others ( even knowing the causalities will be permanently dead ). In short, knowing you can be spun back up drives depravity. I'm giving it more credit than it deserves, but this is a theme to the story.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:08:05 am by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 17, 2020, 01:09:26 am »
I watched The Outsider - pretty good, I liked it.

(click to show/hide)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 17, 2020, 12:51:49 pm »
Yeah, The Outside turned out decently.  I think they did, ultimately, fail to capitalize on how good the first couple episodes were, but the show was still entertaining.

Right now HBO has Westworld and The Plot Against America.  Both first episodes were pretty decent to us.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 17, 2020, 02:01:15 pm »
Yeah, The Outside turned out decently.  I think they did, ultimately, fail to capitalize on how good the first couple episodes were, but the show was still entertaining.

(click to show/hide)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 17, 2020, 02:34:11 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 17, 2020, 03:07:49 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

That's a good explanation  :)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2020, 08:33:13 pm »
War of the Worlds

On episode 4, and man, this is some evil shit  ;D ;D ;D

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 30, 2020, 03:04:53 pm »
War of the Worlds

Yeah, we went ahead and just watched the whole thing, all 8 episodes.  Pretty good show, although I don't speak French, so after some dedgy subtitles, I probably missed a bit on few parts, but likely not much.  I hope they do go ahead and make a second season.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 30, 2020, 05:36:26 pm »
I'm watching Hunters and made me realize a similar themed show I omitted a review here.

The Little Dummer Girl - excellent. I love Michael Shannon and he does not disappoint in this. Very fun/well done spy show, mini-series thing ( too bad, could use more of this stuff ). It's about the hunt for an assassin targeting Israelis. Interesting psychological talk in this one.

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2020, 12:58:02 pm »
War of the Worlds

Yeah, we went ahead and just watched the whole thing, all 8 episodes.  Pretty good show, although I don't speak French, so after some dedgy subtitles, I probably missed a bit on few parts, but likely not much.  I hope they do go ahead and make a second season.
Is that this one?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 07, 2020, 12:57:01 pm »
War of the Worlds

Is that this one?

That doesn't look like it. It's this here, compare the actors to be sure, but I don't think what you listed above here is the show I'm talking about, released just end of 2019/beginning of 2020 doesn't appear to have any characters named George or Amy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9686194/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:03:43 pm by TaoHorror »

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 07, 2020, 08:26:14 pm »
War of the Worlds

Is that this one?

That doesn't look like it. It's this here, compare the actors to be sure, but I don't think what you listed above here is the show I'm talking about, released just end of 2019/beginning of 2020 doesn't appear to have any characters named George or Amy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9686194/
Thanks, Ill have a look!

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2020, 01:27:14 pm »
War of the Worlds

Ok, I finished it. This show has legs, pretty fucking good.

(click to show/hide)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 10, 2020, 12:49:30 pm »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

So, head and shoulders better than that piece of shit The Hateful Eight, but that's a really low bar to clear. I guess I'll put this in Spoiler, but you don't have to waste your time watching this. A mishmash of excellent directing with poor writing. Tarantino's evolution has been bizarre, guess that's fitting given how he comes across in public. His directing skills appears to be as good as they've ever been, but his writing has gone into the toilet. Another alternate history with ( I think ) a beautiful capture of what it was really like in late 60's Hollywood with real and fictional characters mixed in fictional events/endings. So the "history" of this is very good with tiny textures that tickle like seeing people's dirty feet up on theater seats, but that's what it was like back then, there was a lot of bare-footing going on and while now the sight of that is ugly, back then it was normal ( I grew up in the 70's, we weren't so dainty, even many of the rich weren't ). The big problem is the movie is just boring. Too much of it is historical texture, not enough gas. A story/production is as good as it's weakest component, so this was a long slog watching this thing. He weaves the story with apparently unrelated events/unconnected characters, but he simply did so much better with Pulp Fiction than he's doing now.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:52:50 pm by TaoHorror »

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2020, 02:35:15 pm »
Dispatches From Elsewhere

So, I didn’t want to like this, but I do. Haven’t finished it yet, so there’s still time for it to become a piece of shit - don’t give up hope, right? Man, that was out of character for me to be so skeptical, but here we are. But look, an actor from How I Met Your Mother is bound to be shite ( Harris as exception, that cat is amazing, but alas he is not in this show, it’s someone else ).

Ok – so this dabbles in the waters of ( Philosophy? Psychology? Sociology? Conspiracy? Self-Help? ) and so far it’s descent. They’re doing a pretty good job of weaving interesting humans, psychology, sociology, cult, and corporate invention and convention, but pulling this all off nicely as bullshit, not taking this too seriously and a genuine interesting mystery all at the same time. A light-hearted take on some heavy themes – so far. So where is this all going? Simply a therapeutic exercise? Something fun to jolt people out of their routines? A rich sadist who loves fucking with people? A conspiracy? Or simple nonsense? It can be any/all of these things as it’s going in all of these directions in equal measure. It’s good writing as too convenient clue discovery has been kept to a minimum, but I concede I would likely miss many of what our characters discover, but it’s not of the fantastic, so we can buy into it ( the memory palace exercise not withstanding ). I'll update when I finish it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:11:28 pm by TaoHorror »