What's your favorite kind of pie?

• 69 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2017, 02:35:33 pm »
Aaah, I miss pumpkin pie - I'll have to put in the effort to either track down a gluten-free one or make one myself
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2017, 04:03:48 pm »
Steak pie - and all kinds of meat pies - have long been things.

On topic, my favorite pie is and always (probably) will be lemon meringue.

Mine too. :)

ThoughtsOfThelli ... maybe add a list of Earwa delicacies to your mission.[/color]

I have the feeling that the TSA equivalent of the Inn at the Crossroads would be fairly disturbing... ;)
Though Bakker doesn't seem to be fond of food descriptions the way George R. R. Martin is in his writing. Deranged Sranc-fueled cannibalism being the exception.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2017, 03:49:35 pm »
Key lime and lemon are my favorite (as long as they properly make the meringue - its not just heavy whipped cream, should be light, ideally with some proper browning on the top)

Dude, BFK, just make your own whipped cream - its like 2 ingredients, sugar and heavy whipping cream. Tastes way better too.

So after 3 pages we've got

Blueberry - (i don't think Ive ever had a great blueberry pie, but its my favorite fruit so I'd probably like it)
Lemon Meringue
Key Lime
Pumpkin

2 earwa pies

a bunch of savory pies/pizza

several spanish desserts im not familiure with

One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2017, 06:31:37 pm »
Key lime and lemon are my favorite (as long as they properly make the meringue - its not just heavy whipped cream, should be light, ideally with some proper browning on the top)

Dude, BFK, just make your own whipped cream - its like 2 ingredients, sugar and heavy whipping cream. Tastes way better too.

So after 3 pages we've got

Blueberry - (i don't think Ive ever had a great blueberry pie, but its my favorite fruit so I'd probably like it)
Lemon Meringue
Key Lime
Pumpkin

2 earwa pies

a bunch of savory pies/pizza

several spanish desserts im not familiure with

Pizza being the apparent only common denominator, maybe the absence of Apple is interesting. I started this thread because I see a direct relationship between one's pie of choice and the nature of horror they enjoy.

We should find out Bakker's favorite - anyone know it?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:33:46 pm by TaoHorror »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2017, 07:08:58 pm »

Wilshire "duded" me.....and justifiably so. In my defense, my mom was the hostess, and I'm not going to "high-hat" her at Thanksgiving. Point taken, of course.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2017, 08:12:11 pm »
Oh right - lmao "I brought my own, thanks". Not a trick that would go over well ;) . I consume that which is available of course, but in an ideal situation, that's all.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2017, 08:14:01 pm »
Someone mentioned strawberry rhubarb in thread - probably a tie with key lime for me, lemon being at 2. I like a little sour in the sweet. A little sorrow makes the happiness more poignant.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2017, 09:59:35 pm »
The smell of pumpkin makes me nearly gag.  Seriously.  It's bad.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
So I made my first gluten free cheesecake. It came out smashing, I have to tell you - but this is a great situation to vet human memory. The story behind this recipe is probably better than the cake itself.

Warning: My (mis)adventures in tracking baking recipes have had more intrigue than a good spy novel.

My father, when he was alive, for decades made this incredible Boston style cheesecake. Friends, family would come from all over to get some ( no kidding here ). People would pay him to make them ( bargain price of $25 ) and I even would pay him to make me one for when the office pool on who makes the best cheesecake would come up and I would destroy the competition. Well, one day, at a new job, yup, the pool arises and the tall talk starts. No kidding, I conceded to a girl who had bested my father's cheesecake - it was a-maz-ing. I should have known because while she was normally quite the friendly chatterbox, but when it came to this competition she only sported a icy death stare that said without sound, "I'm going to destroy you, little man". And boy, did she ever.

So I asked her for the recipe: "No". I begged her for the recipe:  "No". I offered $50 for the recipe: "No". I offered $200 for the recipe: "No". She refused at all costs and told me the story of her recipe. When she was a young girl ( 6 or 7 years old? ), she would sit on the front steps of her house to each lunch often, being outside, enjoying the sunshine and people traffic. A bag lady would typically swing by each day and she would offer the bag lady part of her lunch, small change, etc. Now, you know this isn't common, many/most people treat bag ladies cruelly. So they formed a loose friendship and she enjoyed seeing her every day. One day, she had some cheesecake and offered some to the bag lady. The bag lady in a deep East European accent ( Bulgarian? ) responded without even tasting the girl's cheesecake, "my dear child, that is not cheesecake, I will bring you cheesecake". My work friend/the girl didn't see the bag lady for a few days and then she came and brought her an entire cheesecake with the recipe - the very same which years later destroyed my father's cake.

I said, cool! Now let me have it, you have to now that I know the story: "No". Fuck me, right? Well, months go by and I stop pestering her and even forgot about it and then one day, she approaches me aggressively ( not with anger, but with determination ), "Hey, you still want that recipe for $200?". I'm like, "well, yeah". "It's yours". I was taken aback and had to ask what had changed and if everything was ok. She had serious financial problems with her husband, pissed off as all get out at her husband and didn't care anymore and simply wanted the money. I was happy, but concerned, didn't want her to betray the recipe over desperation. She replied, "Who gives a shit, it's only cake".

Now, I'm a cookie baker by trade, not cakes, and of course, being young and stupid, I didn't make the thing and lost it over the years. Now that I've got Celiac and have accepted my gluten-free life, I'm converting my recipes to be gluten free; I'll have to tell you the story behind my Forever Cookies sometime, that was a 17 year journey of madness. Just so happens, recently I decided time to recycle the graveyard of hard drives accumulating in my home office/den. I'm scanning through old files making sure I didn't miss anything from copying them over in the past. And yes, I find this old recipe, 20 years after I received it. I thought I lost it since the title was mis-spelled ( cheezecake ), so it never came up in my searches for it.

Now, am I remembering it correctly? Is it coming out the same as hers? I don't know. The taste is familiar, so I'm on the right track, but I don't remember exactly how it tasted. My family has tried it and they like it, but they resoundingly declare it's not as good as my father's.

Maybe I should have murdered one of my brothers when I first tried it all those years ago ...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 04:58:28 pm »
I wish you luck in all your dessert related endeavor.

I was in michigan recently for vacation, ate a bunch of cherry pie. Pretty good stuff.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2018, 05:58:28 pm »
I wish you luck in all your dessert related endeavor.

I was in michigan recently for vacation, ate a bunch of cherry pie. Pretty good stuff.

I look forward to tasting your dishes, Wilshire - I believe you were one of the people helping me out with the logistics if I made it to zCon and was saying you make excellent GF dishes ... could be a faulty memory, the engine ain't what she used to be, some of my memories I suspect I'm making up.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:04:17 am by TaoHorror »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2018, 08:03:06 pm »
This thread makes me sad now though, because I can't eat dairy at all any more.

But on the plus side, I am about healthy as can be.  Which isn't a shock since I don't eat much, since anything that tastes good makes me sick...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:12 pm »

But on the plus side, I am about healthy as can be.  Which isn't a shock since I don't eat much, since anything that tastes good makes me sick...

But what about bacon?!

As per the thread: Pecan is the Lord of the Pies.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2018, 01:05:28 am »

I'm on the same path, but still overweight. My Forever Cookie recipe does have a non-dairy variant that's impressive - I can share it with you'all if interested, but don't want to derail you.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2018, 01:07:00 am »
But what about bacon?!

As per the thread: Pecan is the Lord of the Pies.

If Heaven is configurable ( and it exists and I'm allowed entry ), mine would be me forever eating bacon. Why Gawd made the belly of a pig the tastiest, yet the most fattening/artery blocker, is a sick mystery.