[TUC Spoilers] Nitpicks...

• 41 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: July 14, 2017, 03:28:27 pm »
These don't really fit into the Errata (one of these is probably a retcon) so here are two little nitpicky things that I noticed:

-Proyas' father's name seems to have changed, he is referred to as Onoyas in this book while before he was Eukernas II (admittedly, I had to look it up because I only knew it was different and didn't recall the actual previous name). Was this a retcon?

-Mimara's pregnancy only seems to have lasted for 6 months. I know, I know, I'm being annoying about timelines and dates again, but hear me out. When I first read TAE, I was wondering when Mimara would give birth (trying to figure out the length of time TUC would span). The chapter where she and Achamian have sex has a date of early spring, 4132. She ends up giving birth in early autumn of the same year.
You might say we don't know if seasons in Eärwa last 3 months, but...in PON, Serwë got pregnant in the spring of 4111 and gave birth in winter of that year, thus it would seem seasons do indeed last ~3 months in Eärwa.
So either this is a timeline mistake (future retcon?) or that baby really lucked out in being continuously exposed to qirri while in the womb and came out with the development a full-term baby would have. ;) (Or, crackpot thought, Akka really isn't the father after all.)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:35:02 pm »
There are plenty of worse mistakes, not sure why you'd feel bad pointing them out.

As for Proyas, sounds like a pretty bad error.

Mimara, you bring up a lot of viable possibilities. First, I'd like to point out there were timeline issues in TGO, and this might have partially contributed to this weird 6 month pregnancy. But otherwise, my it-was-done-on-purpose explanation is qirri. Its a hell of a drug. That child will be all kinds of messed up.

So for me, the reality is that its likely a timeline mistake, but I'm happy to hand-waive it with qirri, and the father being someone else is fun for speculation :) .
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:44:29 pm »
There are plenty of worse mistakes, not sure why you'd feel bad pointing them out.

As for Proyas, sounds like a pretty bad error.

Mimara, you bring up a lot of viable possibilities. First, I'd like to point out there were timeline issues in TGO, and this might have partially contributed to this weird 6 month pregnancy. But otherwise, my it-was-done-on-purpose explanation is qirri. Its a hell of a drug. That child will be all kinds of messed up.

So for me, the reality is that its likely a timeline mistake, but I'm happy to hand-waive it with qirri, and the father being someone else is fun for speculation :) .

It's not like I feel bad exactly, I just figured me pointing out ages/timeline inconsistencies could get annoying quickly. ;)

Proyas' father seems like it's going to end up as a retcon, his mother was also named in this book but I don't remember her being named before, so it's not as glaring.

Qirri is probably the only valid in-world explanation if Bakker intended for Mimara's pregnancy to only last 6 months, who knows what effects it could have on a developing fetus? And now I also wonder if the other twin's stillbirth might have something to do with the effects of qirri as well. Probably not, though, since there are other explanations (No-God, or the whole "women with the Judging Eye give birth to stillborn children" thing).

I know this will never be the case, but I would laugh so hard if we got to the next series and Mimara's son just happened to be the spitting image of Imhailas. :P
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:01:39 pm »
At one point, doesn't Mimara remark that it is indeed "too early" for the baby to be coming?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Heavenfall

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 04:07:26 pm »
Someone does, I thought it was Achiaman. Also even though Mimara was sold to pimps at an early age and has some specific knowledge in certain areas, is it possible that she just got the time of impregnation wrong?

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 04:40:14 pm »
At one point, doesn't Mimara remark that it is indeed "too early" for the baby to be coming?

Someone does, I thought it was Achiaman.

Yes, but we don't know exactly how early she thought it was - if they knew that the babies were coming three months or so earlier than expected, then there would have never have been a chance of them surviving outside the womb for long (not without modern medicine), so I expect they'd be much more dismayed by having Mimara go into labour right then and more surprised when the first twin was born apparently healthy.

Also even though Mimara was sold to pimps at an early age and has some specific knowledge in certain areas, is it possible that she just got the time of impregnation wrong?

It's possible that she was further along than she thought she was, but three months seems too big a difference. (That would, however, lend credence to the theory that Akka wasn't the father...)

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 05:20:14 pm »
I've had the 'not Akka's baby' thought a couple of times.  Imhailas seems like the obvious other possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 05:29:31 pm »
I've had the 'not Akka's baby' thought a couple of times.  Imhailas seems like the obvious other possibility.

Amusingly enough, Mimara thinks that Akka was really the only option as to the father of her unborn children was after she first learned she was pregnant. However, I went back and looked - in TJE Mimara is said to have left the Andiamine Heights three months before meeting up with Akka. Which means that the dates would match for a normal 9-month pregnancy if Imhailas was the father. :)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 11:58:02 pm »

Welll, Qirri and traveliing the whole of Earwa might have a little to do with a premature birth...
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Heavenfall

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 09:45:58 am »

Amusingly enough, Mimara thinks that Akka was really the only option as to the father of her unborn children was after she first learned she was pregnant. However, I went back and looked - in TJE Mimara is said to have left the Andiamine Heights three months before meeting up with Akka. Which means that the dates would match for a normal 9-month pregnancy if Imhailas was the father. :)

Now we're cooking! But why do you think specifically Imhailas? I can't remember any interaction between them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:48:26 am by Heavenfall »

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 11:43:22 am »
Now we're cooking! But why do you think specifically Imhailas? I can't remember any interaction between them.

Well, we have this from WLW:

There are only three occasions she can think of that would make the accursed creature true. There was the darling body-slave -little more than a boy- who attended to her ledgers before her flight. As absurd as it is, she owns estates across the Three Seas -as does everyone in the Imperial Family. There was Imhailas, the vain Captain of the Eöthic guard, who helped her escape in exchange for a taste of her peach.

Of course, could still be the slave, but Imhailas is a more interesting possibility, especially given that, like Akka, he was Esmenet's lover at some point.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 04:15:56 pm »
Nersei Eukernas II: Father of Nersei Proyas and King of Conriya.
Nersei Onoyas II: King of Conriya who first forged the alliance between the School of Mandate and House Nersei.
Nersei Proyas: The Crown Prince of Conriya.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 04:28:55 pm »
Nersei Onoyas II: King of Conriya who first forged the alliance between the School of Mandate and House Nersei.

Yes, that's the information we had from before, but on page 186 (TUC paperback):

Not so high above, the bound form of Proyas, blessed son of Queen Thaila and King Onoyas, swayed on slow revolution...

There's another mention of Proyas' father as Onoyas in TUC, but I can't find it right now.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 04:57:42 pm »

Yes, that's the information we had from before, but on page 186 (TUC paperback):

Not so high above, the bound form of Proyas, blessed son of Queen Thaila and King Onoyas, swayed on slow revolution...

There's another mention of Proyas' father as Onoyas in TUC, but I can't find it right now.

The other mention, when Proyas is hanging, page 178 (ebook):

On his deathbed, proud Onoyas had called for his son knowing he would not come ... And yes, even hoping ... Because it mattered not at all, what a life makes of a soul.
Mystery denotes darkness

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 05:05:58 pm »
The other mention, when Proyas is hanging, page 178 (ebook):

On his deathbed, proud Onoyas had called for his son knowing he would not come ... And yes, even hoping ... Because it mattered not at all, what a life makes of a soul.

Thank you, I knew it was there somewhere. :)

So, yes, Proyas' father's name does seem to have been retconned to Onoyas (unless it's later stated to be a mistake). There is no entry for him in the TUC glossary either as Eukernas or as Onoyas (only the historical Onoyas is there) so it's still unclear.