YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 09:09:48 pm »
Game of Thrones.

We'll see how it goes.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 12:35:01 pm »
I made it through up to the first half of Storm of Swords... and never even tried to pick up the series again.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 07:02:16 pm »
I'm nearing the end of book 1. Its alright. Entertaining at times, others not so much. I think it could develop into an interesting series so  I'll probably read on.

I also decided to read every book in Orson Scott Card's Ender's saga. After the first 2 it was a waste.

Morrigan

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 08:04:56 pm »
A lot on my plate, currently.

I'm about 600 pages into Samuel Delany's Dhalgren, which is turning out to be an incredibly complex and moving work.

I'm also working through:

Deleuze and Guattari's Anti-Oedipus and Manuel DeLanda's Philosophy and Simulation.  And on the side, I'm really enjoying the Saga and East of West comic series.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 01:53:04 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Morrigan.

Just started a Philosophy & Gender credit... 'lo and behold the textbook is simply called Feminism. *Face-Palm*

Can't wait to start arguing with this professor over that one (I walk a real tricky line where I constantly demand that professor's actually engage their positions - especially in online credits).

Since I've been on vacation and couch surfing for almost a month and a half and having just moved back to my place up north, the only books I really have on me are the ones that came with me and my textbooks.

So after a trip to the campus library - I rarely frequent libraries now in adulthood as I like owning my books - here is what I'll be mostly reading for the next three weeks (aside textbooks):

Soterion prompted these first few choices based on reading I did in our New Wave SF thread.

In Defense of Fantasy - Ann Swinfen
Fantasy: The Literature of Subversion - Rosemary Jackson
Metamorphoses of Science Fiction - Darko Suvin

And then truly for the fuck of it:

Platform Oratory and Debate - John Rigg (I'm on an oratory kick right now after reading Rhetoric for Radicals whilst surfing around - memorizing a bunch of historical speeches for the fun of it; might even join me a Toastmasters' club)
Women Philosophers - Ethel M. Kersey (I had picked this up over a month ago and renewed it while on vacation - though I didn't read it as it was in storage. It will certainly help me in my Philosophy & Gender course - like prof's actually advocate extracurricular reading - but I had originally grabbed it based on the one Women & Bakker thread I engaged in).

Should be fun ;). Can't wait to get my books out of storage as I have a couple choice titles I bought recently that I haven't had a chance to read.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »
Anyone read anything from Andrzej Sapkowski? Most famous for his series The Witcher, which the video game series was based off of.

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 09:39:47 pm »
I have read a few samples from Sapkowski's books, because I like the setting of the world in the computer game. But I wasn't very impressed by the writing and gave it up. I think, the story has potential. The world, characters and story are somehow gritty and unique, but also kind of generic and boring.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 07:41:16 pm »
Jitterbug perfume by Tom Robbins.Its weird in a very good way so far :D  If anyone have read him,I would love to hear what you recommend or not ;)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 10:09:27 pm »
I have read a few samples from Sapkowski's books, because I like the setting of the world in the computer game. But I wasn't very impressed by the writing and gave it up. I think, the story has potential. The world, characters and story are somehow gritty and unique, but also kind of generic and boring.

I knew someone around here had. Thanks for the discouragement. I was mostly looking for a reason not to look into it :)

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 09:49:59 am »
Peter F. Hamilton's Dreaming Void.  I've always enjoyed his work, simply for the epic scale of his stories.  Not so much the Greg Mandel series, but pretty much all the rest of it.
No whistling on the slog!

Morrigan

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 02:04:44 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Morrigan.

[...]

Soterion prompted these first few choices based on reading I did in our New Wave SF thread.

In Defense of Fantasy - Ann Swinfen
Fantasy: The Literature of Subversion - Rosemary Jackson
Metamorphoses of Science Fiction - Darko Suvin

Hey Madness,

I actually am Soterion.  For some reason, the forum couldn't locate my previous username.  But I figured it's a new forum, so it might be time for a name change anyway.  :)  Glad you're finding the fantasy/SF reading enjoyable!  I actually just recently picked up a book by Carl Freedman titled Critical Theory and Science Fiction.  I've only read about 30 pages, but so far it's really good.  More of a historicist approach concerned with analyzing SF's relationship to genre and the literary canon.

Finished Delany's Dhalgren, so now I'm on to David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:06:35 pm by Morrigan »

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »
Cloud Atlas was excellent!  Shame about the movie, though.
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 12:41:29 am »
The move wasnt THAT bad. I enjoyed it, though I'm sure nothing could ever live up to the kind of standard that people would expect from a book like that.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 01:46:27 pm »
Hey Madness,

I actually am Soterion.  For some reason, the forum couldn't locate my previous username.  But I figured it's a new forum, so it might be time for a name change anyway.

Lol - Glad you found your way back. The switch between forums providers was mostly patchwork and personal grinding. All our posts exist here but sadly, because of the inability to backup the Forumer SA, no profiles were transcribed. A necessary evil. 

Carl Freedman titled Critical Theory and Science Fiction.  I've only read about 30 pages, but so far it's really good.  More of a historicist approach concerned with analyzing SF's relationship to genre and the literary canon.

I saw this on campus when I was at the library. For my money, thus far, (out of the three you've gotten me onto), I think Suvin's the most compelling communicator in exhibiting his thinking.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 04:08:24 pm »
So, after a little bit of sinking into my books of Roman and Carthaginian History, I will read something a little bit different:
The Dice Man - by Luke Rhinehart