• 4 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:27:47 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
Hey y'all, apologies if this belongs in the No-God thread since I couldn't find it, but this is something that's been bugging me for awhile. On the PoN wiki page for the No-God, this little conjectural ditty comes out of nowhere and is never explained or cited:

"It seems that he is also antithetical to gods, in the way that through the history, the No-God is always asking questions (apparently in the heads of men), and not answering them, as a god is expected to do. He is insecurity, he is doubt, he is fear."

Before I got into the books, I remember being really pumped for the passage that would explain that. Alas, very little in the series so far has suggested that the No-God is specifically antithetical (in concept) to the Gods, beyond just the nothing vs. something dichotomy inherent in the Gods being only able to perceive (and failing to recognize) the No-God as an absence. Initially, I assumed because the No-God is able to forcibly "ensoul" soulless creatures that it is the opposite of the Gods, who exist in a more dependent relationship with humanity since they derive some unspecified metaphysical nourishment from the lives of sentient beings. But the Gods exert considerable influence on the lives and souls of men regardless. So what gives?

It's a cool bit of speculation, but I'm wondering if I may have missed something. Is there something concrete in the books that supports it?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:27:53 pm »
Quote from: Madness
No worries, forum is le messed... forumer is just killing me with the tech support, though I'm sure they're doing their best for the community. I just hope this one problem can be resolved.

I do think that whoever did all those entries for the Wiki ad-lib'd quite a bit. I would take it with a grain of Salt - I remember no such evidence - not corroborated by the TTT Glossary, which says antithetical to human life.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:38:57 pm »
Has the No-God really been asking questions in Men's heads throughout history??

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:24:03 pm »
It could have been, but I think the quote was just referring to instances like Kellhus had, when he was dreaming. Also, whoever posted that might have been mistaken, and thought that certain instances of "what do you see?" was the no God 'talking', even though it was inner character dialogue .

But the No-God is a mystery. Could be that his questions echo through time in the minds of all men.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:33:33 pm »
Has the No-God really been asking questions in Men's heads throughout history??

That's awesome--Mog is human angst made manifest