Quotes

• 307 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« on: May 29, 2018, 05:34:12 pm »
I love quotes. Love the quotes before each chapter in PON and Dune. Love them from all walks and times. So I'm starting a thread to collect cool quotes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:14:35 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 05:35:13 pm »
If you can believe it, Jack Nicholson at a younger age was self conscious of his image as an actor and was reframing from doing work that could paint him as a perenial bad guy. Stanley Kubrick approached him for the starring role in The Shining and Jack took some convincing. Jack expressed he wanted to perform optimistic stories.

Stanley Kubrick responded, "The Shining is optimistic. Any story suggesting there is an after-life is optimistic."

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:28:59 pm »
Ok, this thread is being ignored, no problem, no hurt feelings, I like talking to myself anyways, so here goes another winner ...

Rocky Horror Picture Show/Frankenfurter, "Don't dream it, be it"

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 10:17:34 am »
From Heretics of Dune: "The sun is not God!"

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 11:05:25 am »
The Royal Tenenbaums has a bunch of quotes that are really great, it's easily one of my top 3 movies, perhaps even #1.  A couple of my favorites:

Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't?

The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vámonos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.

Why would a review make the point of saying someone's not a genius? You think I'm especially not a genius?
[Pause]
You didn't even have to think about it, did you?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:21:35 pm »
From Heretics of Dune: "The sun is not God!"

Maybe for Dune, she's not - but she's surely is here. It gave us life and when she red-dwarfs, she will end us ... sounds like the power of a god to me.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 05:22:27 pm »
The Royal Tenenbaums has a bunch of quotes that are really great, it's easily one of my top 3 movies, perhaps even #1.

Haven't see this movie - guess I better, that is a serious recommendation, let alone some great quotes  :)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 01:49:10 pm »
Inspired by today's Q talk:

Woody Allen's Deconstructing Harry, "I love whores."

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 03:26:15 pm »
"In view of these portentous impossibilities, it has been assumed, perhaps as the result of a growing impatience with the difficult factual material, that Christ was nothing but a myth, in this case no more than a fiction. But myth is not fiction: it consists of facts that are continually repeated and can be observed over and over again. It is something that happens to man, and men have mythical fates just as much as the Greek heroes do. The fact that the life of Christ is largely myth does absolutely nothing to disprove its factual truth—quite the contrary. I would even go so far as to say that the mythical character of a life is just what expresses its universal human validity. It is perfectly possible, psychologically, for the unconscious or an archetype to take complete possession of a man and to determine his fate down to the smallest detail."

C. G. Jung - "An Answer to Job"
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 06:13:08 pm »
"Though well-equipped, we know not who we are or where we are going"
- Dr. Leon Kass on the possibilities of genetic engineering and modern science.

I encountered this line when I was much younger (still in grade school), doing 'research' for a 'paper' I was 'writing'. It stuck in my mind, though now I can't recall exactly what paper I got it from. A quick search pulls several hits- it seems its oft quoted - so I'm no longer sure exactly where it came from or the exact context. Great line though.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 09:00:42 pm »
"Though well-equipped, we know not who we are or where we are going"
- Dr. Leon Kass on the possibilities of genetic engineering and modern science.

I encountered this line when I was much younger (still in grade school), doing 'research' for a 'paper' I was 'writing'. It stuck in my mind, though now I can't recall exactly what paper I got it from. A quick search pulls several hits- it seems its oft quoted - so I'm no longer sure exactly where it came from or the exact context. Great line though.

Reminds me of a Timothy Leary quote I have memorized thanks to it being in a song:

“Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.”

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 09:13:54 pm »
Just wanna say I like the thread, and ill share how ive been vulnerable to my own biases, yet I (hopefully I am, but I indeed try to admit when I'm wrong and proof is put in my face) usually keep an open mind in any subject. I love this community because when people do disagree, its civil. I really enjoy that. And, I have had many views changed by just reading posts here. And, please feel free to call me out when I am not. I can fully admit to being wrong. I love that quote from above, first time ive heard it. Good words to live by.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:29:39 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 04:45:47 am »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 03:28:06 pm »
"And, as for such faith: it is not at all the will to believe things that you know perfectly well to be false. Faith is not the childish belief in magic. That is ignorance or even willful blindness. It is instead the realization that the tragic irrationalities of life must be counterbalanced by an equally irrational commitment to the essential goodness of Being."

Jordan B. Peterson, 12 Rules For Life

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 11:18:46 am »
Christ would never have made the impression he did on his followers if he had not expressed something that was alive and at work in their unconscious. Christianity itself would never have spread through the pagan world with such astonishing rapidity had its ideas not found an analogous psychic readiness to receive them. It is this fact which also makes it possible to say that whoever believes in Christ is not only contained in him, but that Christ then dwells in the believer as the perfect man formed in the image of God, the second Adam. Psychologically, it is the same relationship as that in Indian philosophy between man’s ego-consciousness and purusha, or atman. It is the ascendency of the “complete”——or total human being, consisting of the totality of the psyche, of conscious and unconscious, over the ego, which represents only consciousness and its contents and knows nothing of the unconscious, although in many respects it is dependent on the unconscious and is often decisively influenced by it. This relationship of the self to the ego is reflected in the relationship of Christ to man.

C. G. Jung - "An Answer to Job"