[TUC Spoiler] Heron Spear?

• 52 Replies

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »
So, what' the consensus- are there two weapons of light, or one, and is it (are they) lost or not?
"A line of luminous red flickered from the thigh of the Upright Horn to the termite confusion below. “That is the sign!” his false mother cried—and in Sheyic, no less. The assembled Chieftains scowled for incomprehension. “The Holy Spear of Sil!”

And...
"A light miraculously unpolluted by sorcery’s Mark … a killing light. Tekne. “What is it?” Mimara cried. “The Heron Spear?” Could it be? No. The Heron Spear had frequented too many Dreams for him to mistake it.
 “The colour is wrong …” A different Inchoroi weapon of light? A different Spear?"

Or are the dreams misleading?

[EDIT Madness: Title.]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:55:07 pm by Madness »

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 01:49:52 pm »
Or it is the Heron Spear, but the Dunsult tweaked it/got it working again.  The result of their fiddling made the beam a different color.
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 01:54:45 pm »
Doesn't the Glossary - or at least some source found by Wert for his History of... - specifically refer to it as the Sun Lance?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 01:57:14 pm »
We have this quote from the Encyclopaedic Glossary.

Quote from: R. Scott Bakker, "The Unholy Consult"
Black Iron Seat—The throne of the Nonman King of Ishterebinth, hewn from the spot where, during the Siege of Ishterebinth (2147-9), Aurang struck the ensorcelled Mirinotic Gates with the Sun Lance (sister of the Heron Spear) before it exploded. The impact crater forms the seat of the throne, with the slag thrown by the strike constituting the back and sides, and the remaining thickness of the Gate making the base.
Underscoring's mine.

jurble

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »
The actual Heron Spear likely rests in Horiotha's barrow, I think.  Though, both Kellhus and the Mutilated likely made that guess and one or the other probably ransacked the barrows years ago at this point.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 02:50:37 pm »
The actual Heron Spear likely rests in Horiotha's barrow, I think.  Though, both Kellhus and the Mutilated likely made that guess and one or the other probably ransacked the barrows years ago at this point.

Or even the (non dûnyain) Consult.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 02:58:21 pm »
I don't think it was the Heron Spear; why else call out the difference in color?

Hard to say whether it was the Sun Lance or not.  That it was jury-rigged to plug into a big battery makes it sound like it was a piece of dormant Tekne that the Mutilated figured out how to operate.

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 03:15:23 pm »
I missed that entry.  It just seems like another seed he's scattered to be picked up later in the No-God.

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 04:46:56 pm »
It's the Sun Lance.

What happened to the Heron spear is a mystery. However, if the No-God 2.0 doesn't have chorae on the carapace I don't think the "good" guys would need it anymore to destroy it, no?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 05:17:54 pm »
It's the Sun Lance.

What happened to the Heron spear is a mystery. However, if the No-God 2.0 doesn't have chorae on the carapace I don't think the "good" guys would need it anymore to destroy it, no?

You know, I actually took the no Chorae in the modified Carapace to be an upgrade by the Mutilated. It's been long assumed by a number of readers that the reason for the Chorae aren't for sorcerous protection but rather to perform some other function (soul-containment, whathaveyou, etc). It might follow that that's why Shauriatas was such important part of the Consult - besides breaking the Barricades - because their cabal didn't have the strictly Tekne know-how to start up the No-God. That Shauriatas jury rigged it to work with his sorcerous knowledge the first time.

By my reading, I interpreted the lack of Chorae to mean that the No-God functions better this time around.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 05:18:45 pm »
Is it the Sun Lance, though?

Aurang struck the ensorcelled Mirinotic Gates with the Sun Lance (sister of the Heron Spear) before it exploded.

My bold.  Before what exploded?  The Gate or the Sun Lance?  Could be read either way, but seems to imply the Sun Lance exploded.
No whistling on the slog!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 05:29:34 pm »

Aurang struck the ensorcelled Mirinotic Gates with the Sun Lance (sister of the Heron Spear) before it exploded.

My bold.  Before what exploded?  The Gate or the Sun Lance?  Could be read either way, but seems to imply the Sun Lance exploded.

But we know it still works...I think the original battery probably exploded, not the Lance itself.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

jurble

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 05:30:07 pm »
No.. it was the Gate that exploded... the Black Iron Seat is built from the slag of the Gate.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:30:28 pm »

The Lance might have been repaired by the Dunsult. This also explains why it wasn't used in the Apocalypse.

That said, whatever the quote from the Glossary may suggest, it doesn't state anything pertaining to the question of this thread.

Purrball

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 05:48:47 pm »
idk if its been mentioned already, but the way the sun lance and heron spear are described make them seem like laser rifles or something similar.