• Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:26:50 pm »
There are ARCs of the book out now!

There are books on shelves!

This topic is for the discussion of our spoiler policy. All that follows is up for debate (assuming it's not just Wilshire and I hashing it out, in which case, I yield to Madshire).

As of Tuesday, Aug 8th, we can drop the use of "[TUC Spoilers]" in subjects and start allowing TUC content in the General Earwa subforum. Otherwise, the Author Q&A subforum is the only other place for TUC related content. Be aware of spoiler-tagging any content discussing books released after the subforum you are in (spoiler tag content from TUC in any thread made in subforums WLW through TDTCB, etc, etc).

You can use the spoiler tags in posts with the following script without spaces:

[ spoiler ] This is my spoiler. There are many like it but this one is mine... [ /spoiler]

(click to show/hide)

Cheers all. Input on these thoughts is encouraged as we'd like to be inclusive as possible to old and new fans alike.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:58:39 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 06:25:06 pm »
Also, Quorum is default collapsed at the top of page with a warning for open spoilers. Last year we took down Quorum for a couple months because of people being spoiled but this year we're leaving the open spoilers tag for the time being.

I imagine many people have never even spotted Quorum but if you don't want to see discussion on any forthcoming insight into TUC reviews, excerpts, etc, etc, please continue to avoid Quorum for the time being.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:26:10 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:05:10 pm »
My two cents is that we ought to:

1. Keep the Quorum expanded.
2. Keep TUC spoilers out of the Quorum.

The imminent release means we should be getting increased traffic to the site (and in fact, I've seen a few new and returning names recently).  And if I were visiting for the first time, I'd be more likely to stay if I saw Quorum activity.  And I'd be hella-pissed if it was spoiled off the bat.

pail

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:10:10 pm »
My vote is in line with profgrape's.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 09:20:41 pm »
My thoughts:

Last year we clamped down very hard on spoilers, and heard little more than complaints afterwards that it killed the forum and the potential discussions.

So this year, I'm of the mind to say 'fuck it'. We're all adults here. If you don't want spoilers stay out of places that are likely to have spoilers.
Yes, that means quorum and the TUC subforum. Why quorum? Because that's live. I know I'm not going to have the time to police it this year, and  tbh it wouldn't matter. People can ask those currently in quorum at that moment to not talk about tuc. Conversly, people can ask if someone wants to talk about it. That's means that, yes, there will always be the potential for spoilers. People might have to stay out of quorum for a month or two and maybe spend some time posting instead ;).

My vote doesn't weigh any more heavily than the rest of you though. Please, submit your opinions.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:25:10 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:50 pm »
People getting the books months apart "wrecked the discussion" not the spoiler policy imo.

I'll personally not put anything spoilery up on the quorum, but after 6th july when i'll have read it, i'll want to come on to a subforum and post about it.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:09:33 pm »
It kills us when a book is released. The Quorum is at least there do interaction. I don't see why having it spoiler tagged and being an adult about things is very hard. If you want to talk about TUC. Mention it.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:28 pm »
I say make the spoilers limited to : 1- the TUC subforum of course
2- The general Eärwa subforum when tagged in the title
3- the author Q&A because reasons stated already
4- For the Quorum, I say we keep it, but no big spoilers there until the Canadian release date, which is the latest.
ETA: the mentioned Canadian release is 18 July.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:38:22 pm by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:55:44 pm »
It kills us when a book is released. The Quorum is at least there do interaction. I don't see why having it spoiler tagged and being an adult about things is very hard. If you want to talk about TUC. Mention it.
I first read that as " being an adult about TUC is very hard" .
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:47:09 pm »
Spoilers? Pfft, you mean future bookmarks.
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 01:53:38 am »
I first read that as " being an adult about TUC is very hard" .

It seems to be sometimes, nay?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 12:58:53 pm »
Any spoiler policy isn't going to be agreeable to 100% us, so you guys do what ever you feel is best for the forum overall.

I personally think that losing the Quorum is detrimental, but whatever it takes, it takes.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:26:33 pm »
Updated the top post with new ARC-pocalypse and Quorum related rulings.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 07:52:31 am »

Madness

• Administrator