Denis Villeneuve in-talks to direct a Dune adaptation

• 7 Replies

Francis Buck

« on: December 22, 2016, 04:17:24 am »
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/denis-villeneuve-dune-reboot-legendary-pictures-1201929280/

For those that don't know who Denis Velleneuve is, here's the dude's filmography:

Blade Runner 2049 (teaser for that is here by the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDscTTE-P-k
Arrival
Sicario (a.k.a the real True Detective Season 2)
Enemy
Prisoners
Incendies
Polytechnique

He's a kick-ass director and (in my not-so-humble opinion) probably among the top five "young" directors working on big budget Hollywood stuff today -- certainly the top ten. The idea of this dude making a Dune movie is fucking hype -- Dune's been called "unadabtable" (into a good movie) many times, but I've always thought it was quite feasible, merely very challenging. It's basically just a grittier Star Wars, on drugs (or more appropriately, Star Wars is softened-up Dune that's stone cold sober).

Still early, given that new Bladerunner has yet to even come out, and the success of that will likely determine this to some extent, but fuck...

Possible big budget Dune! And possibly a kick-ass director to boot!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:37:03 am by The No-Mod »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 01:04:44 pm »
I haven't seen any of this guy's movies, yet.  I'll try to check out Sicario but Arrival is definitely going to have to wait until it's out on video (my wife and I get to go to the movies literally once a year).

That BladeRunner trailer certainly has appeal, the ambiance seems like a definite hit, but it will come down to how well they do on the story (like always).  Visually impressive is always a very fleeting path to success.

I think part of what plagues Dune movies is how they always attempt to make the story into something other than exactly what it is.  Dune isn't going to be a good hour and a half action film.  I think if you stay within the work itself and work diligently to adapt what is there to film, rather than invent things to make it into something it really isn't.  In the end, a la, the newer LotR movies, some invention is probably necessary to capture a larger audience, but it's always a fine, fine line.  Nothing is unadaptable if you have capable enough writers and workable budgets.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 04:20:55 pm »
Dune, Dune, Dune, Dune, Dune.... ! Bring it on.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 06:16:24 pm »
Dune, Dune, Dune, Dune, Dune.... ! Bring it on.

I don't really understand why Dune is regarded as so particularly difficult to film, per se.  I mean, sure it's a dense book, but so are all of LotR and it was certainly filmable (with the right budget).
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »
Maybe because it has had several horrific editions already, and has stalled at least once in production (Jaworski's Dune).

Besides, its rare that books make good film adaptations. LOTR is largely seen as the exception, not the rule.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 10:34:35 am »
Arrival was great (and based on a story that could be called unadaptable), so I have great hopes for Dune.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:16:32 am »
Arrival was great (and based on a story that could be called unadaptable), so I have great hopes for Dune.

Yeah, Arrival is possibly my favorite "alien invasion" movie ever and gave me high hopes for the kind of feelings that a proper Dune movie should hit.

Nothing short of 2001: A Space Odyssey has captured the feeling of:
(click to show/hide)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 03:02:25 pm »
I really need to get around to seeing 2001