YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 20, 2019, 02:49:37 am »
It took a bit but I really enjoyed The Three-Body Problem.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 20, 2019, 03:10:25 am »

Very glad to hear it, Srancy! Keep reading; "The Dark Forest" is really good, also.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 20, 2019, 03:46:56 pm »
Three Body Problem is really a good book imo. I'll hopefully be getting around to Dark Forest later this year.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #408 on: May 20, 2019, 11:56:15 pm »
Really Toll The Hounds. Started strong, but then almost immediately hit a little snag.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 21, 2019, 11:45:04 am »
Really Toll The Hounds. Started strong, but then almost immediately hit a little snag.

I think TTH is the best of all of them! If I stopped reading at the end of TTH, I think I would have been happier lol. DOD is the worst in the series, and TCG was good but not great.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 08, 2019, 05:33:45 pm »

Very glad to hear it, Srancy! Keep reading; "The Dark Forest" is really good, also.
Dark Forest broke into my top 10 most enjoyable books so I'd say I liked it a bit!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:40:17 pm by Srancy »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2019, 03:18:42 pm »

Dark Forest broke into my top 10 most enjoyable books so I'd say I liked it a bit!

Excellent! I loved the conversation between Da Shi and the protagonist at the end where the protagonist explains dark forest strategy. Chilling and eye-opening.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 16, 2019, 09:31:44 pm »
Long time, no see...miss ya guys. Ive actually picked up a book for the first time in many months. Dark Age, by Pierce Brown is the choice. About halfway through and loving it, so far. A continuation of the previous books, but this one picks up the pace quite a bit. A definite rec.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 28, 2019, 07:16:28 pm »
I'm reading "Supernova Era" by Liu Cixin (Cixin Liu in English style). It was written in 2004, and the English translation was just published. Looks to be another great read from the Chinese master of high-stakes civilizational survival.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 05, 2019, 09:26:26 am »
"The philosopher stone" by Colin Wilson

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #415 on: March 04, 2021, 01:41:05 am »
Just finished listening to The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster ready by Rainn Wilson (Dwight from the Office).  It was fucking delightful.  Had a very Alice in Wonderland feel but with an overt didactic slant that didn't drain away the fun.  Recommended.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 29, 2021, 09:45:55 pm »
Gardens of the Moon ( Malazan )

Took me 3 years to read it, just couldn't get into it. Getting it on Audible allowed me to finish it. I'm glad I did, the second half of the book gets much better. I enjoyed it, some very cool characters, some nice twists and turns in the end that I liked. Not sure I'll read the 2nd book unless someone can tell me if it takes up where the last one ends or if it's a time jump into the future and essentially a different story. Not that I wouldn't still read it, just too much on my reading list to commit to more at this time. Anyways, I like R and Abercrombie more, but I would still give it an A, well written and it got fun to read. I'll steal a few ideas for my D&D campaign ( loved the Jaghut Tyrant - I want to be him and using him in my campaign kinda would make me, hee hee! - not sure if I spelled the correctly as I was listening to the book ).

(click to show/hide)

EDIT
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 01:42:47 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 30, 2021, 01:56:37 pm »
Congratulations.  Many people put GotM in the lower half of the series, while book 2 and 3 are usually on the higher end of people's favorites.  Book two is largely a new cast of characters and a new setting.  It takes place in Seven Cities.  The returning characters from what I remember are Fiddler, Kalam, Crokus, and Apsalar.  Book three is more or less concurrent with the events of book two, so it wouldn't hurt to skip to three if you want.  In fact, Erikson initially had them swapped before losing the draft of what became book three to a computer crash.  Book three continues on with the campaign on Genabackis.  There are a lot of returning characters from GotM. 

(click to show/hide)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 10, 2021, 04:51:54 pm »
Gardens of the Moon ( Malazan )

Took me 3 years to read it, just couldn't get into it. Getting it on Audible allowed me to finish it. I'm glad I did, the second half of the book gets much better. I enjoyed it, some very cool characters, some nice twists and turns in the end that I liked.

I'm glad you liked it!

Yeah... So that's pretty much the Malazan/Erickson pattern. Every book is about 500 pages of buildup and 500 pages of crazy action. If they were normal length books closer to 200-500 pages total this wouldn't seem so strange, but since most of the books are 1000 pages it makes for a really long intro.

Also Erikson likes to introduce new characters ever few pages, and this continues throughout the series, which magnifies this effect.

Not sure I'll read the 2nd book unless someone can tell me if it takes up where the last one ends or if it's a time jump into the future and essentially a different story.

Book 2, Deadhouse Gates, could very nearly be a different series entirely. Its obviously not in the sense that Erikson is still writing it, its still within the Malazan universe, and IIRC its still on the same timeline. That said, its a whole new book. New characters, different military campaign entirely, and in fact the writing is much improved  as well. Deadhouse Gates is an incredible book.

Not that I wouldn't still read it, just too much on my reading list to commit to more at this time.

Even though I loved DG, every book is a major time commitment. Its not a series that is worth "pushing through to the end". If you dont have the time, or dont enjoy it enough to spend the time on it, there is absolutely no reason to continue. The payoff at the end of book 10 is in no way "worth it", considering you have to read nearly 10,000 pages to get there. Yes, nearly every book is great in its own right, and yes there is a lot of lore and story that you may want to see through... But at what cost? There are just way to many words to read if you aren't enjoying it.

I recommend you read it only as long as you are enjoying it. If you find yourself bored, its probably time to just put it down and move on - even if that's in the middle of a book.

It took me nearly 2 years to read Malazan, since it takes so long to read each on individually, plus I read at least 1 or 2 books (by other authors) in between each book of Malazan.

Anyways, I like R and Abercrombie more, but I would still give it an A, well written and it got fun to read. I'll steal a few ideas for my D&D campaign ( loved the Jaghut Tyrant - I want to be him and using him in my campaign kinda would make me, hee hee! - not sure if I spelled the correctly as I was listening to the book ).

In case you haven't started it yet, I'd have to say I'm mildly disappointed with Abercrombie's most recent series. I had high hopes after First Law, so its a shame. Still worth a go though, probably.

Also, if you stop reading it at some point, it is worth reading through the Malazan wiki. There's a lot of good idea fodder in there, especially for the Jaghut if you liked them in GOTM.

As for your spoilers... Its mostly explained later. Either read and find out, or search for it on the wiki.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 04:55:14 pm by Wilshire »