• 191 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:40:00 am »
Quote from: Madness
Philosophic rights and narrative lefts... the ol' one, two.

Patience is a virtue. Found the go ahead on this last night when I got home from work. Cheers to our perilous beginnings here at Second Apocalypse. Cheers to Bakker, for the words he's given us over the years. Here's to hoping that The Unholy Consult will bring Bakker more fans and money enough to keep him grinding books, worry-free.

Go thank the man ;).

A couple things. This is straight from the working desk and based on the time until TUC's release, I wouldn't be surprised if things changed subtly. This is mostly unlikely due to brevity of the excerpt - Bakker plans on coordinating with a popular blogger to unleash the rest of the chapter closer to TUC's release.

However, and I cannot stress this enough, Bakker was not lying when he's suggested that The Unholy Consult is going to be an infobomb! There is certainly grist for conversation here... enough meat to keep us and newcomers this will undoubtedly draw that much busier until TUC. Read at your own peril... Major Unholy Consult Spoilers.

Second Apocalypse Exclusive:

(click to show/hide)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:41:30 am »
Quote from: bbaztek
Holy shit! Reading the shit out of this

edit: read the first few lines, and on second thought... saving this bad boy 'til after I'm done with book 5. Thanks for putting this up, Madness.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:41:34 am »
Quote from: Camlost
Was google searching a potential release date and found myself redirected from Pat's to here. Very cool to see some fingers pointed in our way. That said, I don't suppose you have any clearer an idea what day I should mark my calendar for eh Madness?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:41:43 am »
Quote from: lockesnow
(click to show/hide)
I think that invocation of Alpha and Omega might qualify as a 'summon Sologdin.'

I noticed that Section symbol in there madness, is that in the text or did you add that?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:41:49 am »
shaeonanraiswithoutbeginningorendshaeonanraiswithoutbeginningorend
shaeonanraiswithoutbeginningorend
shaeonanraiswithoutbeginningor
shaeonanraiswithoutbeginning
shaeonanraiswithout
shaeonanrais
shaeonanra

A circle.  A self moving soul.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:41:56 am »
Also, do not fail to note the meta-importance of this exchange

“What does it mean?” she asked of the wind.

“The Dream?”

“No.” She glanced at him over her shoulder. “The timing.”
That, ladies and gentlemen, is known as:
Author-Jumping-Up-and-Down-Screaming-Waving-Giant-Flag-Emblazoned-with-Look-at-Me-What-Do-You-See!

Bakker is telling us that in all five preceding books it is not the DREAMS that are important, it is the Timing of Each particular Dream that is crucial.  The Why, is a question of When. 

We have been asking What [size=50](do you see)[/size]

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:05 am »
No idea on a release date, Camlost. I take gifts silently, I didn't hazard many questions ;).

lockesnow, the only formatting I did to the piece was to make it forum ready. The Section symbol made me laugh when I was reading it too - Bakker's own, that one.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:12 am »
Quote from: Tony P
Fuck me, I gobbled that up. Feeling indigestion setting on as I mull it over.

Thanks to Scott for his preview!

About the Inchoroi:
(click to show/hide)

Ed.: I assume this will be checked for spelling errors? I think I found some. Please let Scott know I'd be happy to proof-read TUC... 8-)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:20 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
Yes! At long last a taste of what is to come.

And the fact that not what but WHEN. The details conceal and the general reveals. Should have looked for that earlier. No way to decode the dreams in this manner other than going back and reading all the chapters they are in. If only we were doing some kind of reread.

lol @  'summon Sologdin.'

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:26 am »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
Very good stuff!! I am now more hyped than ever for TUC which i believe will be the best in the series so far. Thank you Bakker and also Madness for this present.

(click to show/hide)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:32 am »
Quote from: Borric
I want more!  :)
Any idea when the rest of the chapter will be released?
And where?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:39 am »
I want more as well, please give us 6.1.3 asap!
Truly? Can you not see? In a world so vast, so fraught... The father who does not lie is no father at all.
– Protathis, The Over King

I take this to mean that Moenghus destroyed Ishual after Kellhus left.  And I take it to mean that Moe has structured a truly epic lie and Kellhus is so deeply buried within it he can't even see the borders of the lie into the realms of truth.

Alternatively, it could be self mocking.  All fiction is necessarily a lie, and yet we readers embed ourselves within a lie and search for truth, but isn't all truth that comes from a lie inherently tainted by the lie itself?  Who is the father but the author?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:49 am »
Quote from: generic
So souls are divisible. This is new. We already have (unconfirmed) reports of two people sharing the same soul, the whole part of the God theory. And now we have one bouncing around between a few old people. Maybe Quirri has something to do with them as well.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:55 am »
This topic should be stickied.

Ahh forumites.  I believe the singular thread at westeros has received more responses to the posting here in this forum, than this thread containing the actual excerpt received.  It's not posted anywhere else, but all we can manage is 12 replies?

Clearly the solution is that Bakker needs to give us more excerpts.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 06:43:01 am »
Perspective is blinding, lockesnow.

In the case of Westeros, I think many of the posters who partake in the Bakker threads there, are consigned to one forum in their lives. In other cases, they simply aren't as interested in Bakker's books as some of us are, and not interested enough to join a new forum.

But let's give it some stats (clearly, I'm nothing more than an amateur marketer):

I posted this thread on Saturday and messaged Pat (Fantasy Hotlist) and Adam (Wertzone) about it later that afternoon. Both of them blogged about it shortly after that and Pat also linked this thread in the Westeros White-Luck thread.

At this point, their blogs respectively have two unique replies (four between the two of them).

As you say, lockesnow, Westeros has garnered the most hits and replies to that thread. I also posted quick links yesterday on Malazan's and SFFWorld's Bakker thread and forum - the Malazan thread getting one reply - and both threads getting a hundred extra views for the post.

Bakker only caught up and posted about it today himself and has only seven comments.

We have just over ten posts to this thread, extra traffic, and no new members.

However, in terms of traffic, it's still early as to the peak of views, probably, based on the relative youth of all those plugs.

The stats certainly give you some insight as to where the internet SFF demographic stands on Bakker, at the moment.

However, I do meet more and more people all the time who love Bakker's books and have no interest in partaking in these discussions online.

EDIT: Foot in mouth. One new member. Welcome, JeffColey. Also, 350, 500, 600, unique visits - as in, non-repeating IPs - Sat, Sun, and today so far, respectively.