Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:34 pm »
Even to the point that some of the Mutilated may have been seen in the opening of TDTCB, though I'll have to dig for that exact quote later.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »
Wait, how do the Dûnyain even make their super awesome swords? Do they have their own super localized mining operation set up, or the most efficient recycling program in history?

I admit, every time I ask a question about the Dûnyain I think of 10 more about the logistics of their whole operation.
Where does it discuss the idea that they made swords?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 11:54:34 pm »
It doesn't. But, when Kellhus leaves Ishual he has a sword. And, in flashbacks they show their training in the yard with the old man. So, they've got swords. How many? Where from? Your guess as good as any. But, again,  Bakker said they were self sufficient.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 01:52:28 am »
In the darkness that comes before Kellhus' battle with Mekertrig, it sez "dunyain steel".
WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

citizensnips

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 04:47:10 am »
Quote from:  citizensnips
Wait, how do the Dûnyain even make their super awesome swords? Do they have their own super localized mining operation set up, or the most efficient recycling program in history?

I admit, every time I ask a question about the Dûnyain I think of 10 more about the logistics of their whole operation.

Bakker said in the Q&A after TGO that he had a whole section about the ins and outs of the Dunyain that he never did put in the books or get into because it's not part of the story. Ishual was self sufficient and that's all you need to know really.

Well, booooo. Most people on this board wonder about the real identity and meaning of various characters, I wonder "How do the Dunyain make candles?"

(Wait, scratch that, I just thought about it and now I don't want to know that answer)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2017, 05:39:58 am »
I wasnt meaning to ruin your spirits or theorizing, go for it. Its open to your own interpretation. I was just giving the answer he already have on the exact question. Well, I tried to find the link, but couldn't. :summon Madness:
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

citizensnips

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2017, 06:19:01 am »
Oh no worries, you didn't ruin anything. It's nice to have somewhere to muse over these things.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2017, 11:20:26 am »
"How do the Dunyain make candles?"
(Wait, scratch that, I just thought about it and now I don't want to know that answer)
... They keep bees, obviously.

Human tallow makes terrible candles, BTW. It's really not worth the effort.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »
It doesn't. But, when Kellhus leaves Ishual he has a sword. And, in flashbacks they show their training in the yard with the old man. So, they've got swords. How many? Where from? Your guess as good as any. But, again,  Bakker said they were self sufficient.
Ah. Well, given there were a number of refugees directly from the Anasurimbor household, I think it stands to reason the Dunyain might have managed to salvage possibly enscrolled weaponry from them or the armory. Would be less of a stretch than forging.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2017, 12:24:54 pm »
I agree. On the thought that their enscrolled weaponry, I thought the same when Kellhus uses Enshoiya to make Malowebi demon/ciphrang and preserve the head. Had to be.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2017, 01:23:12 pm »
"How do the Dunyain make candles?"
... They keep bees, obviously.

Human tallow makes terrible candles, BTW. It's really not worth the effort.

And you know this, how? LOL

I'm sure it's said somewhere, but the tunnels of Ishual - those made by non-men, Dunyain or both? Even for 2,000 years, that would require serious labor.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
Dunyain made them the tunnels follow some mathematical formula.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 02:14:44 am »
Even to the point that some of the Mutilated may have been seen in the opening of TDTCB, though I'll have to dig for that exact quote later.

Did we see any of the Mutilated in previous books?

Not that I recall, no. I feel muddy on this simply because the original beginning of TDTCB featured a lot more facetime with the brethren.

There are also quotes regarding the bee-keeping, the self-sufficiency, and tunnels... but I'll have to do that later...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 10:13:41 am »
Ah. Well, given there were a number of refugees directly from the Anasurimbor household, I think it stands to reason the Dunyain might have managed to salvage possibly enscrolled weaponry from them or the armory. Would be less of a stretch than forging.

I don't remember any survivor from the Anasurimbor household when the first dûnyain came (in the prologue of TDTCB). Only the Anasurimbor boy. But maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway it's very difficult to maintain an isolated community like Ishual in full splendor if the Dûnyain were few. I'm assuming that they were like a big community of monks, like some monasteries in Middle Ages.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.