[TUC Spoilers] Kellhus' Options

• 31 Replies

Khaine

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 06:45:09 am »
Which Greek word you have in mind, because when transcribed in Latin letters makes no sense to me.
'ελκυσιολοι', which admittedly would normally be written as 'elkusioloi' in Latinised form. But IIRC kappa in (some dialects of?) Ancient Greek can be transliterated as 'h'? I briefly studied Greek 20 years ago, but my knowledge is extremely hazy by now...

Doesn't ring a bell, but I guess it is a derivative of the verb έλκω which means to attract. I need to ask a friend of mine who is a teacher of Modern and Ancient Greek.

I am native speaker of Modern Greek but my Ancient Greek is quite poor to be honest. 
Knowing was the foundation of ignorance. To think that one *knew* was to become utterly blind to the unknown.

R. Scott Baker, The White Luck Warrior, chapter 12.

ἕν οἶδα, ὅτι οὐδέν οἶδα

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 12:21:44 pm »
Which Greek word you have in mind, because when transcribed in Latin letters makes no sense to me.
'ελκυσιολοι', which admittedly would normally be written as 'elkusioloi' in Latinised form. But IIRC kappa in (some dialects of?) Ancient Greek can be transliterated as 'h'? I briefly studied Greek 20 years ago, but my knowledge is extremely hazy by now...

Doesn't ring a bell, but I guess it is a derivative of the verb έλκω which means to attract. I need to ask a friend of mine who is a teacher of Modern and Ancient Greek.

I am native speaker of Modern Greek but my Ancient Greek is quite poor to be honest. 

I love this place :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer