Kellhus/Others PoVs in TUC

• 15 Replies

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: May 30, 2014, 11:46:58 pm »
Couldnt post a new topic in the TUC thread. Do we use this thread for TUC speculation?

Does anyone think we will get a Kellhus PoV in TuC and who/what do you think we will see significantly more of who we have not seen so far?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:33:32 am »
I think the TUC thread is restricted until the book is out.  I don't know what Bakker's going to do about this: on the one hand, it would seem more in keeping with the current trilogy to see Kellhus through the eyes of another but on the other hand, I kind of expect Kellhus to end up roaming through Golgotterath alone.  Maybe some of the TSA writers could help here--would giving Kellhus a POV in TUC be 'cheating' in some kind of narrative consistency thing?

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:02:52 pm »
TUC speculation goes in the general Earwa sub, I think.  Just cuz WLW sub should be free from spoilers re: Atrocity Tales and the sample chapter.

I don't think we will get Kellhus POV.
I think more Proyas and maybe Shae or Seswatha via flashbacks are most likely.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:08:24 pm »
I, for one, am glad for no Kel POV.  It heightens the tension of the series, Imo.  Also, I think Kel is now just a master gear in the great interweaving clockwork mechanism of the Thousandfold Thought.  He has to ride it out now, play the part and make sure it all comes to fruition.  He's basically an automoton, slave to the Thousandfold Thought.  I think a Kel POV would be like reading lines of code at this point, a ton of 'if then' statements.  That's what I think anyway.  I'm probably wrong, though.
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »
As far as we'd discussed it (community or Wilshire and I), WLW and General Earwa were fair game. TUC subforum is waiting for TUC.

Though, good point on the Atrocity Tales, Cüréthañ.

I really don't know... I think on ZTS Sovin did used to create a new subforum for next book speculation but we've never had a situation with the Atrocity Tales before.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Monstar

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 05:44:34 pm »
I, for one, am glad for no Kel POV.  It heightens the tension of the series, Imo.  Also, I think Kel is now just a master gear in the great interweaving clockwork mechanism of the Thousandfold Thought.  He has to ride it out now, play the part and make sure it all comes to fruition.  He's basically an automoton, slave to the Thousandfold Thought.  I think a Kel POV would be like reading lines of code at this point, a ton of 'if then' statements.  That's what I think anyway.  I'm probably wrong, though.

A few method calls maybe :P

Francis Buck

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:10:21 am »
I think we'll get another Kellhus POV eventually, but it will be just before/after/during some kind of apotheotic transformation, be it No-God, The God, or something else entirely. If that actually happens in TUC, however, I do not know. But I do think we'll get one last POV from him -- it just may not be what we're expecting.

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 08:28:54 am »
A Sarl POV chapter would be nice - to resolve some of the mysteries with the Captain and Cleric.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:04 pm »
I believe the final POV of TUC will be Kellhus

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:01:09 pm »
I'm not convinced that we will ever get Kellhus' POV, or if we do, it will be some kind of recording/memory/after-the-fact kind of thing. His POV won't be revealed until there is someone to replace him as the mysterious brain behind the mechanisms of the world.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 10:02:33 pm »
I'm not convinced that we will ever get Kellhus' POV, or if we do, it will be some kind of recording/memory/after-the-fact kind of thing. His POV won't be revealed until there is someone to replace him as the mysterious brain behind the mechanisms of the world.

I think this is key. Bakker had initially wanted to NEVER have a Kellhus POV, if I remember correctly. But once Kellhus's endgame comes to fruition, there's no longer any reason for us to be deprived of his POV (unless that's just how Bakker wants to do it). You hit on more directly what I was sort of trying to say, which is that I do think we'll get a Kellhus POV before the series is done, but won't be until after the mystery surrounding his motives is...demystified.

And, like a poster said above, this was always planned as a three part thing -- The Holy War (likely up to the Umiaki+Big Moe confrontation), The Great Ordeal, and then the finale. The story grew in the telling, of course, and I think the reason we have TSTSNBN is because Bakker was sort of introducing all these pieces of the sandbox, but it so happened that it took him a bit longer to get there than he anticipated. So he needs that third series to really play around with the complete sandbox of the world -- from the Dunyain, to the remaining Nonmen, to the Inchoroi/Consult, and ultimately the Gods and the Outside. 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:55:27 am »
And, like a poster said above, this was always planned as a three part thing -- The Holy War (likely up to the Umiaki+Big Moe confrontation), The Great Ordeal, and then the finale. The story grew in the telling, of course, and I think the reason we have TSTSNBN is because Bakker was sort of introducing all these pieces of the sandbox, but it so happened that it took him a bit longer to get there than he anticipated. So he needs that third series to really play around with the complete sandbox of the world -- from the Dunyain, to the remaining Nonmen, to the Inchoroi/Consult, and ultimately the Gods and the Outside. 
That was me from another thread :P
I believe the whole series was always going to be 3 parts. Prince of Nothing, Aspect Emperor, and TSTSNBN (the series that shall not be named).

PoN and AE are trilogies, and the last I heard, TSTSNBN was originally planned to be a duology but will more likely be a trilogy, but its all called "The Second Apocalypse" up to and including TSTSNBN. Or so goes my understanding.

And, actually, I'm sure that  I read somewhere that the whole TSA series was supposed to be a trilogy, with each of the above mentioned being a single book. The PoN became its own trilogy, and so has AE. I hope TSTSNBN turns into 3 :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:57:55 am by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 01:56:34 am »
I really don't expect any changes in the pov's we have so far except I kind of think we'll get a Zsoronga pov.  I think Zeum is going to be a factor in TUC and Zsoronga can do the work of Sorweel's pov (experiencing the Great Ordeal) while Sorweel is off in Nonmanland.  Proyas could also do that job, so I don't know that Zsoronga is necessary, I just have a hunch that he's being played by invisible hands to get close to the center of the action.

FB, I agree--Kellhus POV arrives at the end.  Kellhus can stalk Golgotterath on his own and bringing company could be a liability.  I don't know if anyone else has the ability to make it to the Inverse Fire in one piece.

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 03:06:48 am »
Want some Meketrig POV too.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 03:39:59 am »
Want some Meketrig POV too.

That would be awesome!  He is the only one of the Consult I could see that happening for.  Seems like Shae and the Clam Twins would have unnarratable interiors (but Bakker may surprise me).

EDIT: I am stupid.  Bakker's already narrated the inside of Aurang.