• 44 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 01:38:44 pm »
Tha makes some sense. Was it a direct goal or was it a coincidental byproduct...

Maybe that is indeed the price to be intact. Many of the Nonmen  are probably unwilling to purge their memories even though they drive them mad. The intact would be pretty lame if they only had a few decades of memories.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 09:24:56 pm »
I bet we meet Nin'janjin and he has a huge inchoroi-like skull grafted on to give him more brain

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 12:52:20 am »
If the Consult offered to fix the Inchoroi's little oversight with the Nonmen (upgrading their memory capacity to match their limitless age instead of keeping mortal minds in immortal bodies until the memories overflow and become garbled) that might explain why the mansion went over to the Consult.

Although it just strikes me another option is possible. The Consult have re-mastered the tekne. The Skin-Spies are new, so that means they understand it on a fundamental level now. No longer are they reliant on half-remembered techniques and blind aping of what Inchoroi scientists did untold eons ago.

If they wanted too, they could probably clone some Nonmen females. Their race could have a future again, if they just accepted the No-God.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »
I wonder, do they count towards the 144k?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 08:10:40 pm »
I always just assumed any ensouled being counted.

Do we have any idea how many Non-men still live at the last mansion?

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 09:42:01 pm »
Do we have any idea how many Non-men still live at the last mansion?

I do not believe that we've really been given any inkling other than that it should be a mostly functioning society.  But whether that means thousands or a dwindling hundred, I don't think we know. 

Doesn't it seem like there should be a few more wandering Nonmen like Cleric in the Three Seas?  Even if the mansions at Kyudea and Cil-Aujas are no more, it still seems like, especially given their power, there'd be a few more rogue, wandering erratics popping up. 

Francis Buck

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 10:19:31 pm »
I think most of them in the central Three Seas are extinct, but there must be some, although I expect they're rare, and most probably either stay underground or have relocated back up north. Do we know where the "Four Revelations" story took place? If we assume that it really was Conphas in that story (I personally feel confidant that it was), then it can't have been THAT far north, even if it took place during the wars he lead against Saubon?

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 10:38:36 pm »
Oh, forgot about that Four Revelations story.  Do we ever get any location clues besides the fact that Conphas is in it?

I think when I got to the Marrow portion in TJE and a Nonman appeared, I was like "It seems like there ought to be a few more hanging around the Three Seas, but maybe Marrow is a special exception as it's so far removed from society proper?

Man, what if men captured an erratic in the Three Seas and put them in a circus or something.  What happens to an erratic that gets stuck in a cage? 

Francis Buck

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 11:47:12 pm »
Oh, forgot about that Four Revelations story.  Do we ever get any location clues besides the fact that Conphas is in it?

I think when I got to the Marrow portion in TJE and a Nonman appeared, I was like "It seems like there ought to be a few more hanging around the Three Seas, but maybe Marrow is a special exception as it's so far removed from society proper?

Man, what if men captured an erratic in the Three Seas and put them in a circus or something.  What happens to an erratic that gets stuck in a cage? 

I just checked the story on TPB real quick. There are quotes, but none of the typical location/date signifiers we usually see (even TFS had these -- I expect it was a stylistic choice, meant to throw off the reader). I did skim the story and didn't notice anything, but it's a pretty chaotic little piece so I may very well have missed a bunch of shit.

Either way I do suspect that, with the Nonman becoming more and more prominent in the series as it goes on, we may learn of them existing lower in the Three-Seas. The idea of a Nonman trapped in a cage at a circus somewhere down south is brilliantly haunting. It does also seem like the public should know more about them (especially with the "ghoul" references.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 12:53:51 am »
I imagine an erratic wanders down from time to time but I suspect they're pretty rapidly killed by a mob when it happens.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:35 am »

AMAZING!  I WANT THIS TO BE A THING!

Sometimes it preaches...

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 12:57:03 pm »
Scripture dictates they are slain.
There are a lot of religious nuts in Earwa.
The sagas mention the erratics riding around behind the sranc legions, killing survivors.  I imagine that is part of the reason they are called ghouls.  They are pretty much feared bogey-men.
Also, erratics are fucking dangerous...  how do you know if it has the Gnosis? Most people don't have trinkets.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 04:56:43 pm »
I'm thinking of nonman lessers and definitely minus magic.  Such a creature could end up in Cingulat circus, i think...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 02:52:19 pm »
I imagine an erratic wanders down from time to time but I suspect they're pretty rapidly killed by a mob when it happens.

Scripture dictates they are slain.
There are a lot of religious nuts in Earwa.
The sagas mention the erratics riding around behind the sranc legions, killing survivors.  I imagine that is part of the reason they are called ghouls.  They are pretty much feared bogey-men.
Also, erratics are fucking dangerous...  how do you know if it has the Gnosis? Most people don't have trinkets.

To many crazies in the Three Seas for even the erratics to want to visit. Almost certain death, but I would think the suicidal might want to create just one more memory before they died... Like showing up and nuking a city, etc. Maybe they have all just been hunted so thoroughly that all the nonmen have abandoned the three sees, and just use the Inchoroi's dred mechanisms to create memories. The promise of a final, true, apocalypse would be very alluring at this point. An memory like no other, maybe even strong enough to anchor their thoughts for a long time to come.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 05:34:39 pm »
lol, think of the massive changes in the course of human history if, for example, a quya mage just happened to wander through an ongoing battle!

maybe this is what happened to kyudea :)