Inchoroi

• 8 Replies

NronFisher

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:34:34 am »
So the Dunsalt is cool, everyone seems to agree, but...does anyone wish the Inchoroi were a bigger part of the story? It seems like the Inchoroi have literally gone extinct, with the exception of Aurax, who has become a whimpering submissive. The Inchoroi had been built up as this incredibly evil force that raped heroes and kings, masters of advanced technology (nukes, lasers, bio-engineering), who grew human heads to speak and wore the bodies of their foes for armor (and ornamentation).

Now they're dead.   :'(   :'(   :'(

Does anyone else think the Dunsalt would be cooler if there was a union of Inchoroi and Dunyain? Imagine an orgy-filled doomfest with the Inchoroi creating sci-fi weapons of death and new monster horrors while the Dunyain turned the masses of Sranc into phalanxes and organized armies.

Oh well. I mean, I kind of understand what Bakker was going for: the Inchoroi have lost the ability to reproduce since their 'Mother' the Ark is dead, and meanwhile the Dunyain have lost the Whale Mothers, so neither are capable of reproducing, so their stories mirror and coalesce, but still, I wish we had more Inchoroi lore/individuals since they were hyped up for 4 books and just fade away.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:29:58 pm by NronFisher »

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:18:27 am »
I was kinda disappointed by Aurax, since I had this image of him as this mad tekne scientist, but at the same time I really liked how the ultimate boss turns out to be monstrous humans.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:58:13 pm »
The non existent role of the Inchoroi in TUC did surprise me. We still have Aurax but he probably won't much. I have hopes that we will get more of them and the Progenitors in TNG.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Nemojbatkastle

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 03:32:52 am »
My natural inclination is to think we'll see more Aurax, maybe even some POV chapters like we did with Aurang.

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:32:44 pm »
Perhaps the World's redemption lies in its eventual mundanity? The Nonmen are all but gone, the Inchoroi reduced to one, and who knows what will become of souls, magic, etc. in the wake of the No-God and whatever methods are eventually utilized to end the Apocalypse.

I, too, had hoped for a little more out of the Inchoroi, but after a six book build-up, I'm not sure anything Bakker put down could have lived up to expectation without crossing a line into disbelief. I do like that (assuming their background is further explained) they seem to be somewhat of a warning for the possible fate of the working caste in a post-semantic future, though I've been reliably informed that might be me reading a little too much into it.
Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:38:08 pm »
I like the revelations we're given of the Inchoroi, how they demonstrate the monstrousness of their creators, the Progenitors, who not only made a weapon race that would perpetuate genocide on an interstellar scale, but took the trouble to GIVE THEM SOULS so they could experience and fear Damnation, and use that terror as a goad to engage in more better genociding.  Holy shit.

As characters they perhaps wound up lacking, but on a thematic level they deliver in spades.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:40:33 am »
I like the revelations we're given of the Inchoroi, how they demonstrate the monstrousness of their creators, the Progenitors, who not only made a weapon race that would perpetuate genocide on an interstellar scale, but took the trouble to GIVE THEM SOULS so they could experience and fear Damnation, and use that terror as a goad to engage in more better genociding.  Holy shit.

As characters they perhaps wound up lacking, but on a thematic level they deliver in spades.

Indeed. I do hope that we'll have more regarding the Progenitors in the future.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:47:01 pm »
I hope & pray that we will more both of Progenitors and of Inchies in future books, they are terrific races.
Seeing Aurang overpowered and destroyed in a blink by Kellhus and how Aurax just hab become a pet of the Dûnsult was a bit anticlimatic and frankly unexpected.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:18:00 am »
I hope & pray that we will more both of Progenitors and of Inchies in future books, they are terrific races.
Seeing Aurang overpowered and destroyed in a blink by Kellhus and how Aurax just hab become a pet of the Dûnsult was a bit anticlimatic and frankly unexpected.
I will hope and pray for that with you. As long as they don't touch Akka, that is.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers