What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:12 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
Quote from: lockesnow
Wouldn't the meta gnosis raise it an order of magnitude, rather than a mere doubling?
agree.

meta-prefix is like goku normal compared to super saiyan goku.
or SSJ4<SSJ3<SSJ2<SSJ is basically on a log scale.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:19 am »
Quote from: Triskele
Quote from: Madness
"The 'Third Phrase' was a thing of myth in Gnostic sorcery, a story handed down to Men during the Nonman Tutelage: the legend of Su'juroit, the great Cunoroi Witch-King." (p139, TTT LE)

I really think this conversation of the Metagnosis and who can wield it actually boils down to whether or not all Metagnostic sorcerers are, in fact, Dunyain.

So Su'juroit was a Witch-King? 

I know that Cnaiur describes or thinks of the Dunyain as witches at one point as well if not multiple times.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:27 am »
Quote from: Madness
We can't be sure of the degrees of separation here.

I figure Cnaiur's reference to witches is cultural. They were a Tribe of the Tusk before the advent of the No-God and they hold those prejudices - Cnaiur's Chorae was hereditary, after all.

What is a Witch-King in a culture where Quya are hereditary sorcerers and most assuredly, already, dominate the other caste of Nonmen? Extra +1 Witch-King Domination?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 11:50:13 am »
@ lockesnow - you said

Akka, coming from the area around the Mandate's stronghold, is possibly descended from a Seswatha bastard. :-p

THAT'S AWESOME!!!  Seswatha (prominent candidate for the darkness that comes before the Dunyain) starts a pseudo breeding program on the island.  LOTS of little Seswatha's running about.  LOTS

-----------------------------

@ SkieOfAzel, you said

in the DTCB Akka said that the Gnosis is Quya refined and improved for 2 thousand years, so i'd assume that he is more powerful than most Quya Mages except for some big Isroi names like Cleric

I hadn't thought of improvements to the gnosis--could be that Akka is nearing Seswatha's power level because of gnosis improvements.  I don't know if the quya would also be refining during that time or just sticking with their old ways.

-------------------------------

It's funny how Bakker can sell us the idea of Akka being weak, but he is nearly undefeated.  Akka's Kill List:

- 1 Cishaurim, mentioned as happening before TDTCB
- 1 Witch? did he kill to get that doll?
- 2 Scarlet Schoolmen, killed in the Sareotic Library
- 2 more SS in the Iothaih compound
- 1 Ciphrang summoned by Ioyokus
- 4 Imperial Saik, all at once outside of Shimeh
- Oodles of sranc
- 1 Dragon expelled (with help)
- 1 Nonman King/Quya/Ishroi (suspicious)

Additionally he takes down tons of Nansur soldiers, pulls buildings down on SS Javreh, and humbles Ioyokus to the point that he or someone else can cut out the faceballs.

Really, there's only one contest that he *seems* to lose, against the ciphrang outside of Shimeh, maybe killed by Kellhus or called of by Ioyokus at Kellhus' behest.  It's a pretty sweet resume for Akka. 

This fucker slept with the empress, helped uncover the Consult, cursed a living prophet to all the world, abandoned his school, passed the black halls, and uncovered the secret hidden from even the No-God.  His career is so distinguished, at this point he is probably the second most noteworthy Mandati besides the school's founder.  It's just neat to look at Akka's career panaromically.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 04:46:26 pm »
Agree on the Akka front. Its interesting to think that he was conditioned so heavily to think he is worthless. Is that typical of Mandate teaching, or was he a special case?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 10:18:01 pm »
Agree on the Akka front. Its interesting to think that he was conditioned so heavily to think he is worthless. Is that typical of Mandate teaching, or was he a special case?

If he is a special case, then that seems to lend credence to the idea that Seswatha or a god is molding him into a specific role.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »
I think that it's always been the case that whenever some real life variables were satisfied them, the Mandati who occupied that circumstantial crux would have the potential for greater access to Seswatha's life. TDTCB tells us in the opening chapter that it's common enough for Mandati to go mad deciphering the Dreams and that Achamian himself is attempting a chronicle. TJE also opens with this chronicling by Achamian. So he both found the Anasurimbor and spent the time and energy studying 'ze permutations ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 08:26:37 pm »
I think Akka's only major divine benefactor is the whore. He's a true hero.

Throwing in on the power level discussion. I think he is in 99th percentile or whatever for sorcerers on earth. At least in terms of his raw capacity, maybe not his delicacy. The metagnostics probably outclass him but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he could take one down. Just not kellhus. The greatest quya are only a little better than him. He is one of the greatest human sorcerers alive.

I think in the first book that akka says while he sometime has trouble believing it, his power has never let him down when he needed it. I think that was an unwitting portent. So far, it has proved to be true.

Akka was born talented and now Seswatha is opening up to him.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 09:37:31 pm »
I think Akka's only major divine benefactor is the whore. He's a true hero.

Throwing in on the power level discussion. I think he is in 99th percentile or whatever for sorcerers on earth. At least in terms of his raw capacity, maybe not his delicacy. The metagnostics probably outclass him but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he could take one down. Just not kellhus. The greatest quya are only a little better than him. He is one of the greatest human sorcerers alive.

I think in the first book that akka says while he sometime has trouble believing it, his power has never let him down when he needed it. I think that was an unwitting portent. So far, it has proved to be true.

Akka was born talented and now Seswatha is opening up to him.

Truth!
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 12:54:38 am »

I'm all for truths hidden in the text.  Do like.

larrytheimp

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 08:12:42 am »
Another thing that Achamian has going for him is just simple experience; the mf has had so many opportunities now to just drop some gnosis on fools and sranc.  I mean how many mandati actually have the chance to openly battle with a couple of SSmen like he did in the Sareotic Library?  Or fuck with a dragon in conjunction with a Quya Super Mage?

I don't remember exactly how detailed Bakker got about training sorcerors but it seems like Achamian has had a lot more 'range time' than your average sorcerer of rank.  Most of these guys are probably sitting around just waiting to use their powers and are kind of untested.  We know that in the heat of the moment Akka manages to hang in there and not get himself killed. 

I think it's tough to determine how much of his power comes from simply walking near Kellhus for a bit.  Not his raw sorcerous ability or talent, but just in terms of having chances to unleash some shit.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 06:46:18 pm »
Completely agree. He might have been "demoted" to field spy his whole life, some kind of glass ceiling I imagine, but ironically it probably made him one of the strongest among the Mandate (at least before Kellhus got in there and shook things up). Nothings quite beats practical experience. The scholastic wars are basically the only other time the Mandate would have been forced to take the field, but Akka would still have more experience.

Also, sorcerer of the rank. ;) (or at least thats what Akka originally muses at the Library, it may be described different elsewhere).

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2014, 01:18:36 pm »
Akka has been described as a War Cant Master and Sorcerer of The Rank. Granted he gives these descriptions to himself but we know Akka does not blow his own trumpet too much and his actions seem to tie in with this.

I think that Akka is not politically or personally powerful within the Mandate hierarchy due to Proyas rejection of him and Mandate teaching, however I do believe that Akka has attained the highest possible ranking within the Mandate so is Sorcerously powerful. Nautzeru clearly holds him in respect despite his political blunderings.

Lets not forget Elezearas shits his pants when Akka is even near him in PoN and muses on how a Mandati field spy can cow the Leader of the greatest school in the three seas.

Personally I think since the Slog of Slogs Akkas power is really developing. Who knows what effect eating Qirri from a Nonman Super-Quya will do? As well as eating the Qirri that Cleric was feeding him. Can anyone refresh my memory who the Nonman Qirri was from that Incariol was feeding them at the start?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34:23 pm »
Pretty sure it was the ashes of that Ghost they found in the bottom of Cil'Aujas.

Who knows what effect eating Qirri from a Nonman Super-Quya will do
Echos of Chanv.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2014, 07:26:32 pm »
Can anyone refresh my memory who the Nonman Qirri was from that Incariol was feeding them at the start?

It was Cu-jara-Cinmoi's ashes, wasn't it?  That was Mimara's belief, anyway.
No whistling on the slog!