[TUC Spoilers] Metaphysics of the Second Apocalypse

• 79 Replies

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2018, 08:00:07 am »
From what was gleaned via Bakker, the brains that goes into the Sarcophagus needs to be suitable for 'emulation'.
Presumably that's how NG controls the weapon races. A one to many emulator or hypervisor in computer terms, aided by many CPUs in the Ark/Sarcophagus. So someone who is mentally flexible enough to be anyone who needs to be at the given time. A place you might say. Except Kellhus was corrupted by Ajokli for his own ends so the burden falls to Kelmomas who being twin-souled is blind to his own lack of a core identity. We have the slightest evidence of that by how he quickly (re)assumed the role as another member of big K's family and actually thwarted his assassination intentionally. This all reminds me of Peter Sellers actually who was quite strange and claimed to have no identity other than the roles he assumed for acting.

I don't think this follows. You're saying that Kellhus could have been the insertant if he hadn't died or been corrupted? I doubt that. My understanding was that only Kelmomas (of the available options) could have been the insertant - precisely because he was a twin.

The previous No God insertant was also a twin with a dead twin, just like Kelmomas. My understanding was that twins can essentially share a soul. The importance of that being that the soul can both be inside and outside at the same time. The exact metaphysical reason that that is important for the No God isn't clear. But my guess is that it allows the No God to interact/perceive both sides of the gate between the inside and outside. That allows it to follow the important metaphysical ticker tape somehow.

Quote from: madness
Specifically:
Quote from: bakker
And lastly, it's not the blood that enables the Carapace, its the ability of the brain to functionally emulate that of an original Insertant.

Yeah I still don't know what exactly to make of this. Perfect quote though madness
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:33:14 am by dragharrow »

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2018, 03:00:20 pm »
The previous No God insertant was also a twin with a dead twin, just like Kelmomas. My understanding was that twins can essentially share a soul. The importance of that being that the soul can both be inside and outside at the same time. The exact metaphysical reason that that is important for the No God isn't clear. But my guess is that it allows the No God to interact/perceive both sides of the gate between the inside and outside. That allows it to follow the important metaphysical ticker tape somehow.
It was his father who had the dead twin, not Nau-Cayuti himself.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2018, 03:54:49 pm »

Yeah, but some cool thinking here on why Kel was a match to make TNG work. I think you're at least on to something with this, if not spot on in some way.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2018, 01:17:17 am »

Wow, you're absolutely right. That is a huge misreading on my part. Damn.

Well that blows up my current understanding. I need to do a reread.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2018, 04:34:07 pm »
I was thinking about twins lately, and I wonder if the possible Nonmen heritage of the Anasurimbor line (it's canonicity is in question; see the Rape of Omindalea debacle) is a factor for an Insertant. So far, Men and Nonmen are the only two intelligent races of Earwa that developed naturally.