A thread for sharing, critiquing, tips on publishing, etc.

• 23 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:07 am »
Quote from: Garet Jax
I will probably never give up writing, it is too much fun.  Instead of disbanding our story, we have decided to start writing short stories separately and try to mesh them together to jump start the transformation of our story/world. 

I love that we have a section of our forum for this.  I look forward to being humbled by much stronger minds than my own after they read some of the shorts we produce...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:14 am »
Quote from: Callan S.
It all came crashing down late one night while we were deep in the mind of "Killian", the darker of our duo of main characters.  My brother-in-law, who was just recently introduced to fantasy, called me from Hawaii and asked if I read a certain book. I told him that I had not read this mystery book.  He then proceeded to tell me about how awesome the story my brother and I were writing and he wanted us to read it...
I don't understand what happened?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:20 am »
Quote from: Madness
Killian = Kellhus, I assume?

Cheers, Garet. I hope to spend some more time in this forum in the future, when I'm not writing academically - this semester is a tough one.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:26 am »
Quote from: Callan S.
I don't understand what happened?

We were writing an almost "exact" copy of a book that had already been published.  One that we were not aware of until that night.  (Although I have my doubts about my brother not knowing, he reads everything...)

Killian = Kellhus, I assume?

Cheers, Garet. I hope to spend some more time in this forum in the future, when I'm not writing academically - this semester is a tough one.

Killian = Young Macros the Black

Also the name of my first born due in June.  (Should be listed the other way around.)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:34 am »
Congratulations, Garet. Is that the name regardless of sex or do you already know the physical gender status of your unborn son or daughter?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:41 am »
Congratulations, Garet. Is that the name regardless of sex or do you already know the physical gender status of your unborn son or daughter?

Oh, he has been confirmed a boy alright.  It's a good Irish name.  Luckily she was on board with me.

Had it been a girl, well... There are plenty of adoption agencies located withing driving distance.   :twisted:   Just kidding?

Garet Jax

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 01:51:10 am »
I hope you didn't give up on writing, Garet.

Again, I wont.

I do need some help though.  My brother and I have been tossing ideas around and he has decided that he wants to build a D&D quest from our story.  Can anyone please chime in and tell me your opinion on the benefits and drawbacks of doing so?

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 03:37:12 am »
The drawback is that play is, IMO, most functional when story is created by the very act of playing. Pre written story tends to screw up playing, unless you hand out scripts.

Unless your bro can handle deviation, potentially massive deviation from how he wrote the story, I would say don't even touch this with a ten foot pole!

Garet Jax

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 10:43:39 pm »
The drawback is that play is, IMO, most functional when story is created by the very act of playing. Pre written story tends to screw up playing, unless you hand out scripts.

Unless your bro can handle deviation, potentially massive deviation from how he wrote the story, I would say don't even touch this with a ten foot pole!

Got it.

I should clarify further...  We have mainly disbanded our original story and kind of only have major plot points and ideas right now.

I feel that we should write separate stories for the same situation and "meet halfway" while he thinks that playing it out would make it easier/smoother to resolve the story conflicts.