The Slog TDTCB - Part Three: The Harlot [Spoilers]

• 23 Replies

morkypep

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 02:37:34 am »
Wait so is it possible that Aurang is near in his physical body ? He usually uses the synthese to get around stealthily, but decided to visit Esmenet in a glamoured form ? I feel like this is the only explanation to explain how in one chapter hes in the synthese and the next hes a human raping Esmenet.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 11:58:17 am »
Wait so is it possible that Aurang is near in his physical body ? He usually uses the synthese to get around stealthily, but decided to visit Esmenet in a glamoured form ? I feel like this is the only explanation to explain how in one chapter hes in the synthese and the next hes a human raping Esmenet.

I have a feeling that Aurang's physical form is "unavailable" of sorts.  Perhaps even "inoperable" or simply deteriorated to the point of making travel nearly impossible.  The Synthese seems to have limitations, plus, if Kellhus' later explanation of how it works is correct, take a small cabal to keep it running.  It's really hard to judge if the Synthese is used for security or for easy of transport, or out of necessity.

My best guess is that the "human form" is all glamour and it's the Synthese the whole time.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 01:05:59 am »

I have a feeling that Aurang's physical form is "unavailable" of sorts.  Perhaps even "inoperable" or simply deteriorated to the point of making travel nearly impossible.  The Synthese seems to have limitations, plus, if Kellhus' later explanation of how it works is correct, take a small cabal to keep it running.  It's really hard to judge if the Synthese is used for security or for easy of transport, or out of necessity.

My best guess is that the "human form" is all glamour and it's the Synthese the whole time.
And my guess is that there is no more glamour than aurang uses when he possesses esmenet in TTT,  here he has possessed a passing john and overwhelms esmenet by proxy much as kellhus was overwhelmed.

Note the purpose would be the same in both instances of possession if this were so: direct interrogation.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 12:34:23 pm »
And my guess is that there is no more glamour than aurang uses when he possesses esmenet in TTT,  here he has possessed a passing john and overwhelms esmenet by proxy much as kellhus was overwhelmed.

Note the purpose would be the same in both instances of possession if this were so: direct interrogation.

I'm not sure the possession is even needed, the Synthese is present the whole time, just in a form that appears altered to Esmenet.

Not that it really matters in the end.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Inkorot

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 10:09:59 pm »

I'm not sure the possession is even needed, the Synthese is present the whole time, just in a form that appears altered to Esmenet.

Not that it really matters in the end.

Is a small Synthese strong enough to do this

He slapped her—hard. Esmenet’s head snapped back and to the side. She fell face-first from her bed.

? If not, the glamour would need to be strong enough to completely conceal the use of sorcery.

Also, at the end of Chapter 11:

They (The Men of the Tusk) would joke that Skaiyelt’s wife had to be more mannish than Chepheramunni

Heh. These books are really meant to be read at least twice.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:14:07 pm by Inkorot »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 12:23:17 pm »
Well, the glamour already had her totally ensorcelled, it would seem to me that it wouldn't take much to disguise a small cant as a slap.

Then again, maybe we are missing something simple, like the man being a skin-spy and the Synthese simply being present to interrogate her.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 01:33:44 pm »
New theory,  the man was Auraux' synthase at that moment, and Aurang was chilling at the window
One of the other conditions of possibility.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 04:05:40 pm »
Well, the glamour already had her totally ensorcelled, it would seem to me that it wouldn't take much to disguise a small cant as a slap.

Then again, maybe we are missing something simple, like the man being a skin-spy and the Synthese simply being present to interrogate her.
I think I mentioned that as a possibility in the last reread when I broke down all the possibilities.  This one works because it explains the coin and seed. On the other hand, esme does not encounter black seed whilst sarcellus paramour. And black seed would be a way to easily out a spy, so it would be a serious design flaw.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 11:54:00 am »

I think I mentioned that as a possibility in the last reread when I broke down all the possibilities.  This one works because it explains the coin and seed. On the other hand, esme does not encounter black seed whilst sarcellus paramour. And black seed would be a way to easily out a spy, so it would be a serious design flaw.

Right, no, I didn't mean to imply that she had sex with the Sarcellus agent, only that he could have been present while the Sythese got it's groove on.