0 (0%)
The Unholy Consult
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Favorite TSA Book

• 15 Replies

Garet Jax

« on: July 26, 2014, 06:41:15 am »
What is your favorite book in The Second Apocalypse pentalogy? 

The Warrior Prophet did it for me...  I once was lost and now am found.

[EDIT Madness: For title.]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:35:08 pm by Madness »

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:13:16 pm »
Probably tDtCB due to the chapters with Kellhus and Cnaiur on their way to the holy war.
witness

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:03 pm »
The Warrior Prophet is my favourite, it's also the place i stopped first when i first tried reading the series . Ended up just finishing it by skimming it first time around. I can't recall any particular criticism just was a slog to get through them and probably wasn't in the mood to spend the effort to get a good reading of them. 2nd time around after TTT came out read through all 3 and TWP was brilliant.

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:06:14 pm »
The Warrior-Prophet and the White-luck Warrior

Francis Buck

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 02:31:51 am »
I'd have to say The White-Luck Warrior. It just felt like the moment where the series was really shifting into second gear. Nonmen, Sranc, Bashrag, Dragons, Yatwer and all the stuff with the Gods, the Great Ordeal, the Judging Eye, Meppa...it just felt like more FANTASY to me. Like up until then all of these things have been sort of skirting around the edges of the main narrative, and now they're finally coming together. TUC, obviously, is going to be where it all really hits the fan, where all (or most) of the pieces of this gargantuan sandbox universe Bakker has created are in motion.

The Warrior-Prophet I suppose comes second, but TTT might beat it out. I feel like I enjoy TWP slightly less than most people (it tends to be the favorite), but it's also the biggest book. I honestly think I need to read it a third time, because there's SO much that I know is still vague for me, or that I'm missing out on.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 05:06:42 am »
The Darkness That Comes Before. For the prologue more than anything.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 06:07:59 am »
Thousandfold Thought kicked so much arse though. 
Akka throws down with demons. AK vs AM. Cnaiur vs AM. Cnaiur vs Conphas.  Tragic love story. Shimeh! Cishies vs Scarlet Spires vs AK.  The final chapter.
And the glossary!

Well, I liked it.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:17:00 pm »
TDTCB. Stepping into the Three Seas for the first time just had that indescribable feeling whenever you start a special work in SFF. I also love how the climax was a debate. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done before but it just strikes me as one of the most subversive things Bakker has done.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 02:46:59 pm »
TDTCB

The Prologue was captivating, though I had to read it a few times to convince myself to finish it initially. Once all the storylines more or less converge near the end, and when Akka finds the Consult, I was hooked for life.

After several re-reads, TDTCB now stands above the rest as the best storytelling in the series. WLW comes as a close second for favorite though, for the same reasons FB listed: fantasy full speed ahead.

There aren't any books that I dislike, but Id rank them, from most to least favorite:
1) TDTCB
2) TWLW
3) TTT
4) TWP
5) TJE

I will say that WLW would have been up top and TDTCB much farther down if not for re-reads. Once the layers of revelation start to fall away, that first book becomes almost unfathomably deep in its hidden meanings.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:49:25 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 03:25:55 pm »
Mine is also TDTCB.  For all the reasons Wilshire listed, as well as the satisfaction I felt in (finally) reading a fantasy book not centered around a primarily pseudo-European setting.  Not that there's anything wrong with those settings if that's what you're into.  I had simply read so many faux-Tolkien, almost-Medieval-European fantasies by the time I stumbled upon Bakker that I was almost done with the genre.  It has such a great Middle-eastern/North African/Mediterranean feel that I was so hungry for, I thought it was absolutely brilliant.  I savored every word of it.
No whistling on the slog!

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:24:44 pm »
Im reading Fall of Hyperion now then im going to re-read TJE and WLW so they are more fresh in mind as I have only read them once each and blasted through them.

Of the first 3 which I have read twice, once back to back.... I can't decide between TTT and TDTCB for second place.

TWP wins out for me. Circumfixion scene is so fucking epic it makes me want to drool.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:00:29 pm »
For me, i guess it will always be TDTCB. I just loved the intro into the world and its characters. And Kellhus was not yet an insufferable asshat. Maybe it also has a little bit to do with nostalgia. Because TWLW is also very good and a lot happens there...much more "meat", i think, than in TDTCB. But i still have the No 1 reserved for TDTCB.
I really hated TWP...found all that walking through the desert boooring as hell. It was better on my reread. But if i am honest, the first time i almost quit the whole series because of the lengths in TWP.

I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Gorgorotterath

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 03:28:18 pm »
The Warrior Prophet

Garet Jax

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 04:23:22 pm »

Madness

• Administrator