Book deals and purchases

• 149 Replies

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2015, 03:17:27 pm »
Yeah I think other people should post their collections! I took the plunge first... and the waters were oh so icy cold.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2015, 03:57:56 pm »
Thats about 40% of my collection. I have another bookcase that size that is partially doublestacked, but I dont have the picture right now. This is pretty much my SFF collection, though notably malazan is missing, its on a different shelf.

I'll upload betting pictures of both later. Maybe.

http://imgur.com/gallery/wQTCKZQ
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:13:58 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2015, 04:31:00 pm »
Nice Wilshire - I like the orderly arrangement of your shelves.

You also have a couple of the WoT cover types that I really like (am I right in thinking they have an embossed first double page map in them)?

Nice to see some uploads! Come on folks the rest of you are slacking!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2015, 11:47:21 pm »
Huzzah - I can finally participate in this thread as I've made my only real book purchases this year.

I wish I could post my library but I only have about 5% of the books I own at my sister's (though they are some of my favorites) while the rest languish, alone, at my friend's in Thunder Bay, half a province away.

But as this was the first Christmas with my full immediate family in ten years, I'm glad they all remembered that I love books and gave me giftcards with which to purchase them.

So... after a couple hours in Chapters:

The Complete Morgaine - C.J. Cherryh
- I haven't read much Cherryh in a number of years but The Faded Sun trilogy remains one of my favorites SF series ever and you can't beat four books in one volume for one volume's price.

Chronicles of The Black Company - Glen Cook
- Contains the first three Black Company novels. I generally dislike first person but I'm fairly convinced that this is the right time for me to try this series again. Obviously, a must-read for Bakker fans as beyond Tolkien and Herbert, this is another constantly cited inspiration.

The Dragon's Path - Daniel Abraham
- The Long Price Quartet is one of the most underrated Fantasy series out there, apparently, but I couldn't get A Shadow in Summer so I opted for The Dagger and the Coin series, instead. Obviously, I'm impressed by The Expanse (though, I didn't get Cibola Burn because I want to purchase it with the latest installment Nemesis Games) so I hope that impression of Abraham remains true of his previous works.

Prince of Fools - Mark Lawrence
- I've tried to read Prince of Thorns no less than four or five times now, even going so far as to plow through the first 20% at Camlost's when I was down there in October. He offered me the entire trilogy but something about Prince of Thorns (aside from the first-person) rubs me the wrong way. I've heard great things about the differences between Prince of Fools as compared to Prince of Thorns, if the latter turns you off Lawrence's writing, so I look forward to trying Fools.

Johannes Cabal: The Necromancer - Jonathan L. Howard
- The covers on these books draw me in again and again whenever I'm in a bookstore and I hadn't happened upon the first book until now.

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
- I've been hoping to happen across this book forever (I don't often order things online) and so it was great to find this one last copy in the store today. McCarthy is highly recommended by FB - whose opinion of all things narrative I much value - and Bakker used to teach Blood Meridian and it is constantly cited as the inspiration for the Scalpers, the Slog, the Captain, and Cleric in TJE and WLW.

All Hell Let Loose - Max Hastings
- Not generally a fan of political, war, real history books - whatever this is classified as; I generally prefer to study these things academically. The last one of its kin that I read was The Day the World Discovered the Sun by Mark Anderson, which was fantastic. I look forward to reading this rendition of WWII.

How We Learn - Benedict Carey
- Pop-science brain books are generally a good buy for my money, though depending on the author and their allegiances to certain theories, I sometimes end up putting these books down in disgust (the last of which was Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships because of Sukel's glaring misrepresentation of some neurobiological concepts). We'll see if and when Carey falls.

Smarter: The New Science of Building Brain Power - Dan Hurley
- Same as above. It's a book I've looked at, picked up, scanned, and not bought a number of times before. Felt indulgent today, what with all my giftcards.

Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience - Mihaly Csikszentimihalyi
- Same as above, though Csikszentimihalyi is the foremost "flow" researcher in the world. Always knew I would buy this book since I saw it in a used bookstore in 2011 but school has gotten in the way of this one.

Remapping Your Mind: The Neuroscience of Self-Transformation through Story - Lewis Mehl-Madrona & Barbara Mainguy
- Such Stuff as Dreams: The Psychology of Fiction - Keith Oatley is one of my favorite books ever since Bakker recommended it to me in '14. Oatley is the foremost cognitive scientist researching how fiction and brains interact so I'm curious as to how Mehl-Madrona and Mainguy's will stack against it. This one is guaranteed to be hit or miss: big potential for a B-rate academic-lite book here.

I also got Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for my nephew. Apparently, he's reading at an appropriate age for his cohort (he's 10 in Grade 5) but he's reading well below what I was at the same age and the academic "standard" today doesn't inspire me much.

Huzzah, new books :). Maybe I'll join in SR's reading pledge for 2016 - seeing as I've eternally disappointed him by not participating this year (and I didn't really want to report that I've only read everything in Bakker's catalogue (again) and a handful of textbooks in 2015, as it was one of my worst years for reading). I'm not in school until May or even September and it'll be the first new year that I haven't been reading academically in five years so a book a week might not be a bad pledge.

Cheers, thread.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2016, 03:46:10 pm »
Great purchases Madness!

I always wanted to grab a copy of Blood Meridian!

Well my dear old mum bought me http://www.foliosociety.com/book/DFH/dune-frank-herbert which is a gorgeous looking book and my first Folio purchase.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2016, 04:45:29 pm »
Thats a lovely book  SR.

Madness, glad to see you could get that book buying fix. It always feels good. Though I implore you to find some library sales. Many books for few dollars.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2016, 08:49:30 pm »
In Polish we had a hardcover edition of Dune illustrated by Wojciech Siudmak, the cover looks like this: http://www.literatura.gildia.pl/tworcy/frank_herbert/diuna,okladka. Very surreal but interesting.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2016, 07:44:20 pm »
Great purchases Madness!

I always wanted to grab a copy of Blood Meridian!

Well my dear old mum bought me http://www.foliosociety.com/book/DFH/dune-frank-herbert which is a gorgeous looking book and my first Folio purchase.

Yeah, that artwork is an impressive rendition.

Thats a lovely book  SR.

Madness, glad to see you could get that book buying fix. It always feels good. Though I implore you to find some library sales. Many books for few dollars.

Yeah - though, the pile is going to dwindle quickly seems like.

In Polish we had a hardcover edition of Dune illustrated by Wojciech Siudmak, the cover looks like this: http://www.literatura.gildia.pl/tworcy/frank_herbert/diuna,okladka. Very surreal but interesting.

You had previously linked Neuropata from there, I believe, Alia?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2016, 08:35:36 pm »
That's a pretty awesome cover

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:37 pm »

You had previously linked Neuropata from there, I believe, Alia?

Possibly - "gildia" is a site devoted to s-f/fantasy that has short infos on all new releases, so it's usually easy to find links to covers there.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2016, 10:28:11 pm »
Well here are my January purchases - nothing for February yet:

Stephen Donaldson: Mordant Need #2: A Man Rides Through - Softback minor wear.
Bernard Cornwell: The Pale Horse - Softback minor wear.
Conn Iggulden: Emperor of Gods - Softback minor wear.
3 for £1 from a charity store

Arthur Conan Doyle: The Lost World - Softback minor wear.
£1 from a charity store

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson: The Winds of Dune - Softback brand new.
£1 from Poundland

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2016, 09:07:16 pm »
Forgot that I made some impulse buys after certain unfortunate events back in November.

Illium (Dan Simmons) - HC, like new
Endymion (Dan Simmons) - HD, like new
Eragon (Christopher Paolini) - HC, like new, collectors edition (blue 'leather' with embossed gold dragon)
Fallen Dragon (Peter F. Hamilton)- HC, like new

Probably spent $20 on the Eragon, maybe $20 for the rest.
Books, comfort food for the brain.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2016, 04:11:24 pm »
So I have slowed down my purchases considerably - mainly due to bookshelf space although I have just bought two new bookshelves (small ones) and I am in the process of moving my books to a new room in the house (converting a bedroom into a study).

February Purchases:

Andy Weir: The Martian - SB New. Recently watched and enjoyed the film, picked up the book and read the first few lines and thought I would give it a go.
£3 from The Works

Brian Staveley: The Emperors Blades - SB in good condition. Looked interesting and the first of a series.
£2.50 from British Heart Foundation

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »
I got Martian as a gift recently, great movie, the book/audiobook is even better.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2016, 02:32:13 pm »
I got Martian as a gift recently, great movie, the book/audiobook is even better.

Ive been debating buying this.  Im assuming i should just go ahead and buy it,  huh?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,