• 33 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:01:32 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I meant to do this days ago but as it's resurfaced in my haphazard dashboard, I thought this time I'd quickly take care of it.

There's a donation button on the Official R. Scott Bakker Website. Beyond being himself and putting himself out there naturally, I don't think Bakker is going to actively pimp himself - so I figured I'd help a little.

Though I liked the "Rather be Rich than Ugly" slogan, here's e-karma[/u].

There is no easier or more direct way to facilitate Bakker's writing and our readings than this. Expand my mind :D... Donate ;)!!!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »
Quote from: Truth Shines
Are you sure this is legit?  If it is, I'll definitely chip in a few bucks (bye bye new breaks  :D )

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:01:54 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, I made a... sizably meager donation to the man before Christmas after the site opened ;). So I should hope so.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:02:01 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Quote from: Truth Shines
Are you sure this is legit?  If it is, I'll definitely chip in a few bucks (bye bye new breaks  :D )

It is officially his official website, he's acknowledged as much several times, so I'd assume its legit.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:02:09 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
I went with something around the price of a book, with the notion it's over a time span between, like a year, as if buying a book from him each year (which would actually be more than the cut he gets from the normal price of a book - but it's the principle). I've certainly bought into a bunch of the nuts posts at TPB.

Rots

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 03:10:43 am »
I donated to the cause. God knows what i gave is a poor representation of what i have received from RSB these last 10+ years.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 03:31:23 am »
Even monetarily, from what he receives in royalties, is a pittance for the expansion in brain/mind, I'd think.

For instance, he probably receives a twonie ($2 in Canadiaglish) for every book someone buys... I probably personally gave Bakker more money than all of the books I've bought :(...

kellykellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:42:02 am »
I donated to the cause. God knows what i gave is a poor representation of what i have received from RSB these last 10+ years.

Yup, I've received so much enjoyment from Bakker's works over the years that I have no problem donating to the cause. I wish PoN reaped for Bakker the same rewards that aSoIaF has reaped for Martin. Not only would we be getting an awesome TV show, we'd also be getting tons of written material from Bakker. Sadly, that's not the case with Martin and while I have a hard time being sympathetic towards Martin's excuses for his delays, I'm totally supportive of Bakker and his current circumstances.

I'd love it if Bakker did a Kickstarter for a PoN/AE art-book or something similar. I don't know if the publishers have the rights to things like that, but if they didn't, I'd definitely be on board for it or any other cool PoN endeavor.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 08:52:15 pm »
I discovered a kickstarter for a Graphic Novel of TDTCB... I`ll have to dig up the link as it was already expired by the time I found it, with not one pledge :(.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:25:25 pm »
Oh geez that is a shame. Thats would be awesome.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »
Not a Kickstarter: Grok!Studio: Prince of Nothing

Same difference to me, I'm not a big fan of these kind of communal funding projects - in the case of Kickstarter, I've read that whomever owns Kickstarter (Google or somesuch, Amazon), the parent corporation takes like 20% before any product is made as the pledge marks are reached.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:02:33 pm by Madness »

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 01:07:18 am »
It's sweet being a middle man!

Bit of relatively cheap website coding and then bang, people who actually use the site advertise it to more people, whilst paying you for the privilege. They bring more people, who advertise more, whilst paying you. And so on!

Complete lack of contribution on your part, but hoover in the good will and efforts of others!

It's sweet bein' a middle man!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:01:23 pm »
Where would be the best place to purchase TUC in order to maximize Bakker's profit and minimize 3rd parties?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 07:06:45 pm »
It'd be a good question to ask the man himself. I honestly don't know - and, obviously, he can't legally sell us copies privately.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 02:57:06 am »
I'd pay a pretty substantial amount of money to 'accidentally' be cc'ed when he emails the manuscript to his editors.