• 35 Replies

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 05:13:39 am »
Big +1 for sentiment.

I think we all have this general feeling that Bakker is going to be a huge success one-day. It'd be nice to be here for the Cultic Awakening ;).

You say these words, "cultic", and "awakening."  Why do you use them when you know that they are only meanings of description and promotion?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 06:09:38 pm »
I am becoming Madness.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 02:19:09 pm »
I think we all have this general feeling that Bakker is going to be a huge success one-day.

Hmm...interesting.
I have to be honest, i don't think he will. Or let me put it another way: define huge success?
I am not convinced he will ever be as successfull as Martin or Jordan. His books are just too...intense. I made the experience on many fantasy forums that most of the fantasy readers come to this genre seeking relaxing reading hours, something where they do not have to think too much. If you will, they want Brain-Popcorn from fantasy. Bakker (and other authors such as Erikson) are not that...they are the 7 course de-luxe menu that will need to be digested for hours, if you excuse the heavy-handed metaphor. And therefore it will be too complex and in need of too much work for many a reader, i'm afraid.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 02:23:11 pm »
I have hope for the world, Kellais.

Curethan summed it up nicely in another thread. I can easily envision a world where Bakker becomes like Tolkien - but that might be after he's been done and dead, neh?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 02:45:34 pm »
Than you have a more positive picture of humankind than i do  ;)

Readers who are willing to heavily invest in reading (does that sentence make sense?) are dwindling, not growing, imo (i blame it on all the electronic medias).
Will he be recognized as an influence on our loved genre of fantasy...i think he will be (or maybe he already is?)...will he ever be as widely read as Tolkien or even Martin? I doubt it. And just to be clear: i think that is a shame. He is a very talented storyteller and he'd deserve much more readers.

But maybe that's going too much off-topic in this thread.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 10:52:39 am »
Imagine TSTSNBN set years after TUC with a dunyain/half-dunyain running a breeding program for the Few.  The Later Great Ordeal is just 300,000 sorcerers.

If Earwa's current timeline mirrors the First Apocalypse, then I guess we see the third books set in the south as the No-God destroys everything.  Esmi and whoever are left combine their forces with Zeum (who was curiously absent the first time--didn't they get the email?).  Search for the Heron Spear flounders or the weapon is destroyed in an act of betrayal right before Esmi fires it.

EDIT: If the series is set after AE, I want Kelmomas to be an insane Cishaurim.  Perhaps with the water, he'll finally feel like confronting his dad.