Hi

• 11 Replies

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile

Hi

« on: November 14, 2013, 06:54:04 pm »
Just wanted to say hi - don't think I ever introduced myself here or the older SA fora. Some of you might know me as "Incariol" on the ASOIAF board where I've posted occasionally over the years.

I'm Swedish and live in Sweden. English is a second language for me, so I apologize in advance for any weird language constructs, grammar spelling, etc.

Happened upon Bakker after reading about him on the Martin board, which I found after having read AGOT, which, in turn, I found after looking after similar books to the first few Wheel of Time volumes, and so on, back via Donaldson, Tolkien, Dune and others, to the Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea sequence, which is what really got me interested in Fantasy in the first place.

Many thanks to all you who run this board, reading Bakker gets even better with all the speculation, interpretation and general discussion here.

Garet Jax

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:43 pm »
Welcome!  Even though I am sure you have been around longer than I have.

Just as I said about Royce, your command of the English language as your second language is amazing.  I wish I would have lied and told everyone that English is my second language so I wouldn't have to apologize or agonize over my weird language, grammar, and spelling.

I look forward to your participation in these discussions due to your refreshingly simple way of explaining things so a person like me can understand them. 

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:31:36 pm »
Just as I said about Royce, your command of the English language as your second language is amazing.  I wish I would have lied and told everyone that English is my second language so I wouldn't have to apologize or agonize over my weird language, grammar, and spelling.

I forgot to thank you for that compliment earlier GJ, so thanks ;) I feel I must add that Scandinavians are generally pretty good at mastering the English language, especially people born in the seventies and later. We had English as a subject in school from the age of 10, and when hollywood started their entertainment colonization in the eighties, we were drowning in bad movies:) I grew up with a VCR, watching too many american movies at a tender age :)

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:09 pm »
Thanks Garet!  :)

I look forward to participating to. If history is any guide, I will post very irregularly, though. I have a couple of small kids and am also starting a company on the side, which together tends to absorb substantial amounts of time.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:05:03 pm »
Lol - as a monolinguist (and one who has forgotten most of a second language and dabbled in many more) I really admire the second language writers around here as much as they inspire me.

Borque, kudos for trying Bakker with Westeros as your introduction. I never know how much the conversation there drives people away.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:56:49 am »
Borque, kudos for trying Bakker with Westeros as your introduction. I never know how much the conversation there drives people away.
Granted, this was quite some time ago. 2006-2007, perhaps.

I still think the active conversation there is a net positive. His name is almost always on the first page through the current Bakker-specific thread, and mostly the debate is all in good fun.

Bakker is also very prominent in all the recommendation threads, and he gets a lot of, often positive, mention in other threads. Overall, I think it's a good thing.

I think the Bakker-specific threads, which I see as possibly off-turning, are very hard to get into if you are just curious (I imagine people who hasn't read the books, reading those threads and going something like "who is that Akkeönjauri bloke now again, or was it Akkseônpapri, and what did he do now again, to that... Akkpopinjûëre? Akkpronpinjêureü?? Damnit, my head hurts.". But you would get that issue here too).

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:58:28 am by Borque »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:33:17 pm »
I'm more worried about those who decide not to read the books based on the Bakker thread itself and then who proceed to disseminate something like "oh, all people said the books were about was rape aliens, black semen, and whoever the fuck Acham-on-dick is." It's like the telephone game but that constant Bakker thread on Westeros is the only call-line.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:46 pm »
Maybe we should start a "Bakker for beginners" thread there? :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:49:19 pm »
Perhaps - I've been very much debating in past weeks never posting there again.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 04:41:20 am »
Welcome to the forum. Prepare yourself, and don't ever again apologize  for your English. Its better than most, probably regularly better than mine and its the only one I speak  ;).

Perhaps - I've been very much debating in past weeks never posting there again.
Another westeros tangent:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:43:38 am by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 10:35:41 am »
Welcome to the forum. Prepare yourself, and don't ever again apologize  for your English. Its better than most, probably regularly better than mine and its the only one I speak  ;).
Thank you!

I'm copying the rest of you message into a new post on another sub forum, I think this is worth discussing. But I don't want to derail this excellent "Hi" thread further. :)

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 01:38:47 am »
Hi Borque!  I couldn't get through the Donaldson, but I love Earthsea!