True Detective on HBO -- If you like Bakker, you'll probably like this.

• 105 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2014, 12:10:31 pm »
I guess I might have written "The situation between you two got flagged." Though, james is an astute individual who can offer perspective on what has happened, even if that might be laced in sarcasm.

At the moment, Callan, I have your indication that some kind of social foul has been committed here. I don't understand what happened really as I tried to clarify in both my posts.

I can see some obvious examples of insult but attacking the author of an argument is simply a way to avoid attacking the argument? What upset Pendulus in the first place?

James, if anyone felt your post was wrong they should have just reported it, not aimed personal attacks at you. Otherwise you're right, it ends in forum vigilantism/trolling and that's no good.

You couldn't have just said this in the first place?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2014, 01:14:11 pm »
If what I'm saying is causing people to feel the need to troll, then I'm happy not to post here.

Not this. You've posted a lot of thought provoking comments. Whether or not people agree is irrelevant, but if an argument/debate/discussion degrades into mindless name calling it needs to be re-directed.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2014, 05:45:02 am »
I guess I might have written "The situation between you two got flagged."
I flagged one persons actions.

At the moment, Callan, I have your indication that some kind of social foul has been committed here. I don't understand what happened really as I tried to clarify in both my posts.

I can see some obvious examples of insult but attacking the author of an argument is simply a way to avoid attacking the argument? What upset Pendulus in the first place?
Is there a way in which he could be upset that justifies (justifies in the case of this forum) personal attacks being made?

I'm trying to understand how insults can be recognised as occuring, but they don't lead to any conclusion in of themselves? Genuine questions.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2014, 12:17:27 pm »

You've done your part in this situation. You reported a post and made your reason for doing so apparent both via PM and now in the thread. Pendulus, hasn't been here to address anything.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

jamesA01

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2014, 10:48:08 pm »
To be fair to Phallus, there is definitely an undercurrent of sly provocation in some of my posts, although I intend for this to spark debate not to end up in personal attacks.

This place is definitely too good to be given over to trolling.

Anyway, i'm not terribly upset about the insults so we can probably move on and forget the whole thing.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2014, 03:22:07 am »
I admit, though, the furious reaction of reddit-nerds to True Detective's ending was pretty amusing. "RUST REJECTED PESSIMISM...I FEEL TROLLED...WHO AM I SUPPOSED TO ADMIRE NOW???"  :'( :'( :'(

I personally liked the ending. Taking the "dark and cynical" option is the easiest path to critical praise, which  and it's a credit to Pizzolatto that he defied people's expectations and went with an ending of hard-earned optimism and lots of untied loose ends.

Yeah, I have to admit I found the dismay of the nihilist crowd to be kind of hilarious.

"No, my hero failed me! He - gasp -  believes in things!"  ;D

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:30 pm »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2015, 11:27:03 pm »
Season 2 Teaser!

I think everyone looks great. Especially Vince Vaughn's dead faced intro-shot. And I think Rachel McAdams looks boss rolling into whatever house. (Never thought I'd write a sentence like that.)

And that bolo-tie.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:29:16 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2015, 02:52:48 am »
Funny you mention the Vince Vaughn shot, before seeing this he was the actor I expected to look the most 70's for some reason, but I think Farrell takes that honor.

Francis Buck

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2015, 11:50:30 pm »
New trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-oYlGAnUY

Hype building.

ETA: I really, really hope that Rachel McAdams gets into some crazy knife-fight. I love that out of the four main characters, it's the woman who seems most physically imposing and badass.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:10:11 am by Francis Buck »

Francis Buck

« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2015, 05:52:56 pm »
So, that first episode...

EDIT: SPOILERS abound, derp. Should've put the disclaimer originally.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed. I think I went in with pretty realistic expectations -- I never expected it to be as good as S1, which I think was kind of a "lightning in a bottle" situation for several reasons -- but there quite a few things that felt like a tangible step-down in quality to me here.

For starters the cinematography was super inconsistent. There were absolutely some fantastic shots scattered around (the motorcycle-at-night sequence was a standout, with Justin Lin showing off that Fast & Furious skillset), but if often felt like it would randomly lapse into a more typical, synthetic-feeling TV show look. Also, it seemed like they were trying to use the same stylistic method for shooting LA as they did with the Bayou and...it just doesn't quite work. Some folks have been saying that it's because the Bayou is just more exotic and we're all so used to seeing LA on screen, but I don't think that's really the main issue. Instead, I think the problem was that there was a great sense of coherent geography and place with S1, while here it feels like they were kinda just throwing around (admittedly beautiful) overhead shots of highways and industrial parks without them feeling they were really establishing a particular location.

Which comes to another issue of the opener, the editing/pacing. It just felt like it was all over the place -- literally and figuratively. Very disjointed. In S1, only the two leads had any real depth as characters I think, which was fine since the whole show was structured around them. With this, we have twice as many leads, all who seem potentially interesting (especially McAdams and Kitsch), but most of their supporting cast were non-entities. Clearly this is going to change, what with the ending of the episode pretty blatantly bringing them all together, so I'm hoping that was just a structural quirk of the introduction.

My biggest problem though was probably the writing/tone. It really felt forced to me, more than once, to the point of straddling on self-parody. The endlessly brooding and ominous music, the almost hilariously over-the-top pseudo-philosophical dialogue (Never act hungry, even when you're eating/I welcome judgement/Everybody gets touched), the fact that every main character comes off as some different shade of glum and broken, etc.

As I write it sounds like I hated it, which I didn't. I actually liked all four main characters and their actors. Again, McAdams and Kitsch feel like they have the most potential, particularly the latter as he at least seemed to be the furthest from a typical trope. Colin Farrel's "unhinged, alcoholic, dead-beat father detective with a dark past" is somewhat freshened up by being so, so ridiculously unhinged. The part with Aspen and his father was both disturbing and darkly humorous for just how crazy it was. And ironically, even though I liked Kitsch, I feel his character should have been basically been saved for the last quarter of the episode, as it would have cut down slightly on the scattered feeling.

I'm still onboard and looking forward to the season, and I actually have a feeling that the show will be stronger at the end than the beginning (the opposite of last season, I think), so we'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:07:17 am by Francis Buck »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2015, 06:59:30 am »
Colin Farrell is the True Detective.

EDIT: Holy shit, I wrote that during his and VV's conversation.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:03:30 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2015, 07:10:41 pm »
Is anyone else keeping up with this? I'm curious on ya'll's opinions here...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2015, 08:15:10 pm »
I haven't seen last week's episode yet, but so far, I'd rate it as "worth watching, but by no means must see."
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Francis Buck

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2015, 09:12:57 pm »
I haven't seen last week's episode yet, but so far, I'd rate it as "worth watching, but by no means must see."

Hah, yeah, unfortunately that's where I'd have to put it four episodes in. Since there's not much traffic in this thread I'll probably just wait until the season's over before giving my detailed overview of it.