• 41 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 05:26:32 pm »
Well, there are like 4 storylines going on at once, and above you mentioned that you couldn't keep the characters straight. I imagine, then, that you weren't invested in any of the characters and simply didn't care what happened. I suppose that is the risk with carrying too many stories at the same time. Maybe you tried to read it whilst being distracted? I tried to listen to GotM as an audiobook and found that it was too easy to miss important information, same thing with DG. I picked up the book and focused on it and found it much more enjoyable.

I don't think you did anything wrong :P as long as you formed your opinion by reading the book and not just basing it on what a review said, then there is no reason to invalidate your opinion.

I'm only about 25% of the way through DG, and really enjoying it. Maybe it gets boring later and I just haven't gotten to that point yet.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »
Huh, I did feel really uninterested in the characters (I remember thinking that I didn't find their motivations convincing).  OK, next time around, I'll try to read DG without reading too many others at the same time (when will that happen?). 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 03:35:37 pm »
Though I am not quite finished with Deadhouse Gates, I am sensing a pattern with the books you like Madness. It makes me chuckle a little that  both TWP and DG have main characters slogging through deserts. You like sand or something?

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 05:56:52 pm »
I've read the first 3, with Deadhouse Gates being my favorite. I know it can be jarring, moving to a new set of characters every few hundred pages but that puts the focus entirely on the writing and that's what I like about the series. No boring build up or middle books where the author has to "move the pieces." Just Epic Fantasy with capitals E and F.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 02:10:54 pm »
Though I am not quite finished with Deadhouse Gates, I am sensing a pattern with the books you like Madness. It makes me chuckle a little that  both TWP and DG have main characters slogging through deserts. You like sand or something?

Lol - sure?

I did have the enviable childhood experience of living about 10 feet from a beautiful beach on Lake Huron for about eight years.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 02:51:02 pm »
I've read the first 3, with Deadhouse Gates being my favorite. I know it can be jarring, moving to a new set of characters every few hundred pages but that puts the focus entirely on the writing and that's what I like about the series. No boring build up or middle books where the author has to "move the pieces." Just Epic Fantasy with capitals E and F.
I wouldn't say  "jarring", sounds too negative. Its certainly a bit different, and if forces the reader to pay close attention and be fully engaged, or at least thats what I had to do. I think it keep things fresh the whole way through, like you said.

Lol - sure?

I did have the enviable childhood experience of living about 10 feet from a beautiful beach on Lake Huron for about eight years.

And Dune... You really do like books in the desert, or is the desert a good setting for good books?

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 08:58:40 pm »
I got a little distracted and didn't move on with Deadhouse Gates, but I'm tempted to go back just on your statements, Madness.  And then maybe just maybe try book 3 which is so hyped, but probably the biggest deterrent for me is knowing that it's this massive series that I may not have much interest in seeing through to the end.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 01:52:48 pm »
And Dune... You really do like books in the desert, or is the desert a good setting for good books?

Minimalist setting for lazy writers, maybe ;).

I got a little distracted and didn't move on with Deadhouse Gates, but I'm tempted to go back just on your statements, Madness.

Lol - well, I myself only made it to Midnight Tides but up until then I thought it was fairly well done.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 06:15:43 pm »
One day I'll reach the end and regale you with stories of lands beyond your horizon.

---
Edit: Yeah so I finished. Great series :) . Made a whole thread about it. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:00:58 pm by Wilshire »

Cleaver428

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 10:20:21 pm »
I don't want to get into those books for the same reason I don't want to get into the wheel of time. That series is just huge and I doubt I would ever ever get through it. Maybe later in life i will give it a shot but for now it is just way too intimidating.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 01:45:19 am »
Yeah I didn't really realize how long the series was when I started, but its highly regarded so I figured I really had to get to it at some point. My list of books to read isn't particularly long right now and I have enjoyed what I have read so far. It was the right time to undertake the journey, I think.

Welcome, Cleaver428, to the second-apocalypse.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:47:09 am by Wilshire »

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 11:47:14 am »
I wouldn't say  "jarring", sounds too negative. Its certainly a bit different, and if forces the reader to pay close attention and be fully engaged, or at least thats what I had to do. I think it keep things fresh the whole way through, like you said.

Lol - sure?

the desert of death and colors right smack in the middle of The Neverending Story is pretty fucking awesome!  also awesome book is awesome generally