Crop circles

• 53 Replies

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:41:52 pm »
So, is it drunk teenagers with nail clippers, aliens from outer space or is it the spirit of Gaia shining through from within?

Seriously. What is going on here? That people did it might be most plausible, but anecdotes suggest that they pop up in a matter of hours, and the details are astonishingly accurate. I do think that some of them are made by folks, but everyone?

So, what do you guys think. It might be that this "mystery" is solved already, but I just thought about this phenomenon, and it is way more fun talking about it here instead of googling myself towards the right conclusion ;)

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:07:25 pm »
Do you have examples of cases that make you think it's more than pranks?

I have to admit a cursory interest in this "UFO-ology" stuff, though when I had a chance to read Jacque Vallees Passport to Magonia I balked at the repetition of cases. I understood why he did it, as he is presenting a thesis that makes him controversial even in UFO circles:

That UFOs are not extraterrestrial aliens but in fact bear striking resemblance to fairy encounters of older times.

He's also posited that the phenomenon represents some kind of teaching program to get humans to think a certain way.

I wouldn't go too far down the rabbit hole, but for the sake of fun speculation I do enjoy Vallees a great deal.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »

I have not. I am not even sure I trust all these pictures filling up the internet containing all these wonderful works of art.

If they are real, then those "pranksters" who made them must be nothing short of genius. If they are all made of folks, then there are many people lying too. There is just no way that you could make that stuff over night when it is dark. Stumbling around with a flashlight and a nail clipper. To me that sounds just as likely as an alien doing it :P.

So those people who say that these pieces just pop up in a matter of hours must be lying right?

I also noticed that there is a commercial aspect regarding this too. Thousands of people travel to see it, shops are set up where they sell t-shirts, stickers and whatnot. So it does stink of something, I am just not sure how to label the stink yet. I do not think I care to investigate that much either :)

I just brought this up to see if there were an 100% actual explanation for these "phenomenon"

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:42:06 pm »
I also noticed that there is a commercial aspect regarding this too.

I have other thoughts but this is important. The whole phenomenon can be collapsed in that someone makes a profit by the existence of crop circles and thus have a vested interest into their production.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:43:49 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »
I have other thoughts but this is important. The whole phenomenon can be collapsed in that someone makes a profit by the existence of crop circles and thus have a vested interest into their production.

But people have a vested financial interest in just about anything. Even the people who dislike the ubiquity of financial interest have books to sell us on the matter. ;D

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:49:50 pm »
But people have a vested financial interest in just about anything.

Yes, but the question here is: Does an alien race from another galaxy have vested financial interest in making crop circles? :)

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:35:27 pm »
Yes, but the question here is: Does an alien race from another galaxy have vested financial interest in making crop circles? :)

Probably not, but there could be some crop circles faked by people who want money and the slim chance that some are inexplicable.

So the question, IMO at least, shouldn't be "Are these the work of aliens?"

First we need to see if there's data on why crop circles couldn't just be formed by humans in the dead of the night.

I just wouldn't dismiss the possibility out of hand - which isn't to say that was necessarily where Madness was going. I don't want to put words in his mouth.  :-[

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »
I am kidding big time about those aliens Sci :)

First we need to see if there's data on why crop circles couldn't just be formed by humans in the dead of the night.

Yes, this would be interesting do find out. I am not saying it is impossible, only that it is a major achievement(If they did it in the dead of night that is).

I might also add that it would be disappointing if Gaia(or aliens) made these "bring me to your dealer" type of beings that are sometimes seen in these phenomena ;D

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:40:22 pm »

I have not. I am not even sure I trust all these pictures filling up the internet containing all these wonderful works of art.

If they are real, then those "pranksters" who made them must be nothing short of genius. If they are all made of folks, then there are many people lying too. There is just no way that you could make that stuff over night when it is dark. Stumbling around with a flashlight and a nail clipper. To me that sounds just as likely as an alien doing it :P.
Well, it's time to run an experiment then and see if you can do it yourself!? Though I'm not sure the nail clippers are actually needed.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:52:47 pm »
Well, it's time to run an experiment then and see if you can do it yourself!? Though I'm not sure the nail clippers are actually needed.

Lol. I would definitely use the nail clipper, just to get the finishing touches perfect! :P

I seriously have no clue what they do to make that shit.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:12:59 am »

Lol. I would definitely use the nail clipper, just to get the finishing touches perfect! :P

I seriously have no clue what they do to make that shit.
Have you examined one in person?

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:05:53 am »
Have you examined one in person?

No I have not. I would have to travel far to see one, and that would never happen, unless it actually was aliens who produced them :)

Have you seen one? A guy I know said that they could be made by a monstertruck driving around on a field in a circle. Is that a likely explanation? (joke)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:26:46 am by Royce »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 12:27:19 pm »
But people have a vested financial interest in just about anything.

Lol - also appropriate: beings that have a vested interest in communicating to us through these symbols.

I think, like everything else that comes up on the fringe like this... it needs more study. The little factoids are all cool (proportionate maths, complex sounds in shape, magnetic anomalies) and many times the art is impressive but there needs to be some real research done or exposed as being done (if it has and has been buried).

Anyhow, still can't waste an hour on this one right now :(. But I wanted to initially make sure there was one voice of dissent before taking this thread out of the galaxy.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 01:10:52 am »
I recall seeing a doco debunking crop circles.  Had a lot of hard data and these english guys who admitted they had been doing it for decades, complete with photographic proof and reconstructions.
Check the wikipedia page, pretty sure you can find a link to it there and other information that may interest you.

My opinion: BS.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:06:56 pm »
Say that it was debunked then. I still have problems with the intentions to those people involved.
Why on earth would you not take credit for making something so beautiful? Why hide and pretend that it is aliens or whatever? They would be considered genuine artists for making these pieces, but instead they do it in secret, and spread rumours that there is aliens involved.

Or it might be like tagging. They would be arrested for destroying private property, so they hide to escape jail.