The Science of Fandom?

• 14 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:08:33 pm »
I was talking to my sister about celebrity culture, and how it doesn't seem that hard to get really into it.

For example, I avoid reality television not only because a lot of it is trash but because I can easily get caught up in watching hours of it. It doesn't even have to be in English - in fact Korean TV is addicting to me in a weird ASMR way.

Looking at Jack Gleeson's evaluation of celebrity culture or the discussions of Jennifer Lawrence as America's new best friend makes me wonder how easy it would be for any of us to attach ourselves to a fandom and become more and more defensive about protecting our idol(s).

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 12:17:36 pm »
Interesting question!

I myself have not much respect for "reality" TV ...  i find it one of the basest (and not in a good way) forms of entertainment. The intellectual level of those show is most often the lowest possible...i really can't stand it. I find it a sad state of affairs that they are so popular.

So to answer your question - i think that no one on this forum would become a idol defender in any form. Ok, maybe we'd defend Scott  ;) ;D But jokes aside...i just think that this is not happening to people who know and use their mind often...ok sounds weird...what i mean is, if you are someone who reflects often about his own life, the universe and whatever-else (like we do, just look at the threads we have ;) ) then you do not normally defend persons or ideas (because, honestly, you do not really know your idols...you just "worship" an idea, really) just because.

Did this post sound arrogant? I guess it does...at least a bit. But that's how i feel...without wanting to imply that this makes me (or anyone else who feels that way) in any way superior to anyone.
You can have perfectly reasonable persons going on a hysteria-fit just because you offended Bieber (or whoever) and...i just find that totally weird.
I mean i do get into conversations about Erikson, for example, but i try to reason why i think someone is wrong etc. and i don't think i get hysteric or defensive and throw a tantrum. I mean if someone just does not like what i like and i tried to argue why i like it...that's all i can do, right? Tastes do differ, after all.

Ok, enough rambling  ;D
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:49 am »
I think the whole idea behind "reality TV" is to provide the viewer with the notion that he is smart/intelligent. Most people want to feel smart right?. So they mash together a bunch of idiots(or actors acting as idiots?) so that the viewer feels smarter than them. This will lead to people tuning in more and more to get that feeling of smartness. The most ironic thing about it all is the title "reality TV". Can you really get further from reality than these shows? And the notion that you can watch "reality" on TV is also kind of contradictory :)

Looking at Jack Gleeson's evaluation of celebrity culture or the discussions of Jennifer Lawrence as America's new best friend makes me wonder how easy it would be for any of us to attach ourselves to a fandom and become more and more defensive about protecting our idol(s).

This is quite inevitable IMO. When you idolize, you see that person as a "part" of you. When someone is attacking him, they are also attacking you. I do not think that it is possible not to idolize at all, because the persona you have spent years to create, consists of ideas from other people. You will defend these ideas/people because they represent you in many ways. I think it is healthy to let your idols die now and again, and replace them with new ones to gain new perspective. Stick with one idol and you are fanatic right? :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:07:09 pm by Royce »

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:22:41 am »
Its the modern equivalent of the minstrel show.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:16:09 pm »

This is quite inevitable IMO. When you idolize, you see that person as a "part" of you. When someone is attacking him, they are also attacking you. I do not think that it is possible not to idolize at all, because the persona you have spent years to create, consists of ideas from other people. You will defend these ideas/people because they represent you in many ways. I think it is healthy to let your idols die now and again, and replace them with new ones to gain new perspective. Stick with one idol and you are fanatic right? :)

I have to disagree. I do not think that idolization is something inevitable. I never idolized anyone. I have some authors or artists i like and where i appreciate their works and efforts....but idolizing them, no. I think it is an even stronger form than being a fan...and even that can get unhealthy (look at all the sport-club nuts that destroy stuff and hit each other over a stupid game). So again, i do not think that everyone idolizes. So i think it is healthy to never have idols. Rolemodels when you are young, ok. But idols, no, thanks.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 03:23:38 pm »

I have to disagree. I do not think that idolization is something inevitable. I never idolized anyone. I have some authors or artists i like and where i appreciate their works and efforts....but idolizing them, no. I think it is an even stronger form than being a fan...and even that can get unhealthy (look at all the sport-club nuts that destroy stuff and hit each other over a stupid game). So again, i do not think that everyone idolizes. So i think it is healthy to never have idols. Rolemodels when you are young, ok. But idols, no, thanks.

I'm in complete agreement with you, Kellais.  I've never idolized anyone, nor do I plan to.  To idolize is to make someone more than what they are.  While I admire a great many people for their contributions to whatever it is they do, idolization is never a part of my feelings toward them.  Idolization, frankly, scares the sh*t out of me.  You're giving up part of yourself to some kind of utter belief in someone else, committing yourself to their cause, as it were.  Maybe I've taken that too far, but there's a reason I identify more with Akka than any other character in the series.  Eternal doubter, here.
No whistling on the slog!

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:26:22 pm »
I agree with both of you. I was not talking about worship in any form, if I made that impression. I could have used the word fan instead of idol, since we are talking about fandom :).

What I tried to say is that if you are a fan of someone, either writer, artist, whatever, something in that person speaks to you. So you will to an extent defend him/her since at some level you are defending a part of yourself. If the artist, writer etc do not speak to you, you will ignore his/her work.

My point being that it is inevitable is that we all have someone who is speaking to us in a rare way. So if anyone is saying that Bakker is all bullshit and he is a rape lover, I will defend him, because Bakker speaks to me a certain way.

Hope that cleared it up a bit guys :) I can see in retrospect that my previous post came out a bit wrong, sorry about that.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 06:42:16 pm »
What I tried to say is that if you are a fan of someone, either writer, artist, whatever, something in that person speaks to you. So you will to an extent defend him/her since at some level you are defending a part of yourself. If the artist, writer etc do not speak to you, you will ignore his/her work.

And the saddest moment is when the writer suddenly stops speaking to you and you realise what load of bullshit his work has become. Not Bakker, of course, but I've had this with one of our writers. I loved his early work, really, argued with people over it and although I've read everything he's written so far, his latest work was rather "Meh" for me.
Even sadder is that I've known this guy personally for almost 20 years, met him hundreds of times, had really great time listening to his stories and jokes... and at one point I realised our roads have diverged too much, so to say (his political views are the opposite of mine and he seems to get more extremist with every passing year).
Well, that's probably not exactly on topic, I just needed to share my story.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:26:45 pm »
I wonder: to what extent is fandom like a lord/thegn relationship?  Mark your territory!  Display your colors!  Pull down the master's rivals!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:55:22 pm »
So I have wanted to chip in on this thread since it's inception but it caught me at a busy time of the year.

Also, this post specifically isn't informed by research that I'm sure is out there. Last time I tried to respond to this thread I got caught up reading Durkheim ;). And I wanted to watch the whole Gleeson clip and haven't had a chance to make it all the way through. So I feel my uninformed commentary may cover some of the original post and I apologize for that.

I was talking to my sister about celebrity culture, and how it doesn't seem that hard to get really into it.

For example, I avoid reality television not only because a lot of it is trash but because I can easily get caught up in watching hours of it. It doesn't even have to be in English - in fact Korean TV is addicting to me in a weird ASMR way.

Bakker always analogies to gossip and the, possibly, more functional role it played in smaller communities; referring to it's environment of evolutionary adaptedness. But celebrity culture co-opts some innate mechanism or else, arguably, it wouldn't be so prevalent and occur so viciously.

ASMR... Mmm.

Interesting question!

I myself have not much respect for "reality" TV ...  i find it one of the basest (and not in a good way) forms of entertainment. The intellectual level of those show is most often the lowest possible...i really can't stand it. I find it a sad state of affairs that they are so popular.

+1

So to answer your question - i think that no one on this forum would become a idol defender in any form. Ok, maybe we'd defend Scott  ;) ;D But jokes aside...i just think that this is not happening to people who know and use their mind often...ok sounds weird...what i mean is, if you are someone who reflects often about his own life, the universe and whatever-else (like we do, just look at the threads we have ;) ) then you do not normally defend persons or ideas (because, honestly, you do not really know your idols...you just "worship" an idea, really) just because.

It's an interesting reflection. I actually would be guilty, I think, of thoughtlessly defending Bakker - though as you've mentioned, Kellais, even typing makes me reflect that I would probably be careful first to understand those of Bakker's words that I'm defending.

Did this post sound arrogant? I guess it does...at least a bit. But that's how i feel...without wanting to imply that this makes me (or anyone else who feels that way) in any way superior to anyone.
You can have perfectly reasonable persons going on a hysteria-fit just because you offended Bieber (or whoever) and...i just find that totally weird.

Hah. Arrogant people rarely ask if they seem arrogant ;).

Are they perfectly reasonable people for liking Bieber's (et al.) creations?

I think the whole idea behind "reality TV" is to provide the viewer with the notion that he is smart/intelligent. Most people want to feel smart right?. So they mash together a bunch of idiots(or actors acting as idiots?) so that the viewer feels smarter than them. This will lead to people tuning in more and more to get that feeling of smartness. The most ironic thing about it all is the title "reality TV". Can you really get further from reality than these shows? And the notion that you can watch "reality" on TV is also kind of contradictory :)

That's an interesting perspective, though, I think it's straying from the sci's original post. I don't think sci meant "reality TV," exclusively.

But in terms of celebrity culture (for instance, real-life caricatures who hate on Gemma or Tara from Sons of Anarchy/insert character x over their favorite y), is it emotional or intellectual empathy (or both) that predict attachment - to the point of thoughtlessly, like I think sci was asking.

These thoughts hit more to the crux of the experience... I'm always struck by Achamian's thoughts in the Sareotic Library when he thinks about how some authors who used to strike at the core of his soul, no longer do.

I think there's more here but for now...

Its the modern equivalent of the minstrel show.

+1

My high school is better than your high school? You never experienced that at all? Even if our "high school" (the forum) is actually so much better than others ;).

I would ask how you distinguish between role models, mentors, and idols, Kellais? And fans (derived, after all, from fanatic)?

I'm in complete agreement with you, Kellais.  I've never idolized anyone, nor do I plan to.  To idolize is to make someone more than what they are.  While I admire a great many people for their contributions to whatever it is they do, idolization is never a part of my feelings toward them.  Idolization, frankly, scares the sh*t out of me.  You're giving up part of yourself to some kind of utter belief in someone else, committing yourself to their cause, as it were.  Maybe I've taken that too far, but there's a reason I identify more with Akka than any other character in the series.  Eternal doubter, here.

Lol. My question on distinctions remains? I think operational definitions would help the clarity of this discussion.

I agree with both of you. I was not talking about worship in any form, if I made that impression. I could have used the word fan instead of idol, since we are talking about fandom :).

Distinctions ;).

My point being that it is inevitable is that we all have someone who is speaking to us in a rare way. So if anyone is saying that Bakker is all bullshit and he is a rape lover, I will defend him, because Bakker speaks to me a certain way.

Hope that cleared it up a bit guys :) I can see in retrospect that my previous post came out a bit wrong, sorry about that.

To the bold, would you do that thoughtlessly? If I actually thought Bakker was a misogynist, I would rethink the effort I put into supporting him.

And the saddest moment is when the writer suddenly stops speaking to you and you realise what load of bullshit his work has become. Not Bakker, of course, but I've had this with one of our writers. I loved his early work, really, argued with people over it and although I've read everything he's written so far, his latest work was rather "Meh" for me.
Even sadder is that I've known this guy personally for almost 20 years, met him hundreds of times, had really great time listening to his stories and jokes... and at one point I realised our roads have diverged too much, so to say (his political views are the opposite of mine and he seems to get more extremist with every passing year).
Well, that's probably not exactly on topic, I just needed to share my story.

That's unfortunate, Alia. What author, if you don't mind me asking?

I wonder: to what extent is fandom like a lord/thegn relationship?  Mark your territory!  Display your colors!  Pull down the master's rivals!

Lol - well, Bakker is a most absent Lord, if we are his thegns ;).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:57:18 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:02 pm »
@Madness - I'd rather not give the name of the author, since you won't be able to read any of his work anyway, he hasn't been translated into English.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 05:38:37 pm »
To the bold, would you do that thoughtlessly? If I actually thought Bakker was a misogynist, I would rethink the effort I put into supporting him.

Not thoughtlessly no. If I felt that his work represented misogyny I would not support him. I think he is doing fine though:)

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 05:46:53 pm »
Behead those who insult Bakker!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:03:29 pm by Srancy »

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 08:25:12 pm »
Struck by Fandom: Between the ages of 8 and 12 many kids fall in love with a sports team, but what makes that love last a lifetime?

My experience as a professional basketball player showed me a different side of fandom. After starring at an American college, I spent 10 years in Europe playing as a pro. Suddenly, and by suddenly I mean almost the moment I stepped on the court for my first professional game, an invisible wall had materialised, a wall that separated me from the cheering, booing masses. The wall would sometimes vanish for a moment or two, when things were going well, but it always reappeared quickly. As the years passed, I felt myself becoming more and more alienated from the fan experience and, on some level, I even began to resent fans.

I retired from professional basketball a few years ago, a move that gave me some much-needed distance from the player-fan dynamic. Having seen both sides of this strange social relationship, I have lately begun to wonder: what does it mean to be a fan?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:48 pm »
Science Fiction Fanzines Before the Future Got Broken - Interesting, if meandering article.

Long story short: subcultural weirdos flocked together through the magic of sending materials through the mail, through cheap means of duplication, and through the maniacal quest for the most picturesque parts of the inner landscape as midwifed by what sometimes is called fantastic literature—horror, science fiction, fantasy, and its ilk.

Ego-boost (or egoboo as trufans called it) is the fuel of the fannish motor in the science fiction subculture of knowledge hidden from the mainstream. When you live life as an outsider, ego-gratifying reinforcements from your own micro-tribe become the very oxygen, the very water of your existence. If other people think you are a total doofus for devoting your life to an imaginary landscape, then it feels even more important that your fellow travelers within that landscape regularly give you props. Echoed nowadays everywhere on the internet, natch: Thumbs up, thumbs down. Lkes and dislikes. Do’s and don’ts. Blog comments, blog-toading,  andtrolling. Dumbing it up. Dumbing it down. Sometimes it all looks like one big arena of fandom. The racist looks at racist websites, the dog-lover reads dog blogs, the dudebro instagrams dudebro visuals, and the most advanced science-fiction people have their own internet. All catering to the hyper-fragmented cultural landscape of our eternal now.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer