Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2016, 03:19:12 pm »
Lol - H, you most certainly won't be available if you have an ARC on Monday the 9th :P.

But Excellent. I'll send out a PM after work tonight because I slept in today and have to rush off and we'll see what's good for next week.

And thanks, Bolivar, I'm really looking forward to not having these totally wasted days where all I do is wake up, go to work, have a pint after work, and come home to sleep to do it five days in a row.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2016, 03:49:48 pm »
Lol - H, you most certainly won't be available if you have an ARC on Monday the 9th :P.

But Excellent. I'll send out a PM after work tonight because I slept in today and have to rush off and we'll see what's good for next week.

And thanks, Bolivar, I'm really looking forward to not having these totally wasted days where all I do is wake up, go to work, have a pint after work, and come home to sleep to do it five days in a row.

A good point, initially eBay said the 10th, but the actual USPS says the 9th.  I may be totally incommunicado if it actually is in hand though, haha.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2016, 02:43:15 am »
Next Monday would be perfect to me. And I would love to be in TJE cast
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2016, 03:30:34 am »
Finally listened to the cast, Blackstone's idea on Kelmomas wielding sorcery and chorae simultaneously is insane!!!

I liked the conversation about whether the gods were present in PoN or not. I used to read it like Blackstone, that the gods are becoming immanent in TAE and those are just metaphors but the reread on the slog pushed me towards MSJ's reading, that they did manifest at parts of the First Holy War. This passage in TTT sealed it for me, although I admit it's also possibly metaphorical:

And this one Scylvendi, this Utemot Chieftain. Conphas had witnessed it, as much as any of the Columnaries who′d quailed before him in Joktha. In the firelight the barbarian’s eyes had been coals set in his skull. And the blood had painted him the colour of his true skin. The swatting arms, the roaring voice, the chest-pounding declarations. They had all seen the God. They had all seen dread Gilgaöl rearing about him, a great horned shadow …

LOL @ MG's speculation on the "kid-spy" at the end of the cast

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2016, 04:54:47 pm »
Finally listened to the cast, Blackstone's idea on Kelmomas wielding sorcery and chorae simultaneously is insane!!!

I liked the conversation about whether the gods were present in PoN or not. I used to read it like Blackstone, that the gods are becoming immanent in TAE and those are just metaphors but the reread on the slog pushed me towards MSJ's reading, that they did manifest at parts of the First Holy War. This passage in TTT sealed it for me, although I admit it's also possibly metaphorical:

And this one Scylvendi, this Utemot Chieftain. Conphas had witnessed it, as much as any of the Columnaries who′d quailed before him in Joktha. In the firelight the barbarian’s eyes had been coals set in his skull. And the blood had painted him the colour of his true skin. The swatting arms, the roaring voice, the chest-pounding declarations. They had all seen the God. They had all seen dread Gilgaöl rearing about him, a great horned shadow …

LOL @ MG's speculation on the "kid-spy" at the end of the cast

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2016, 06:27:15 pm »
Your final pre-TGO Cast speculation was a kid skin-spy ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2016, 10:34:57 pm »
I feel like a kid skin spy has already been in the series. To me that's a the connection between the missing children and the fact that Simas had to be planted as a child in the mandate.

And is there no love for Lord Kosoter?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:38:57 pm by geoffrobro »
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2016, 01:07:18 pm »
Open call for the last Reread Cast tonight, WLW, at 8pm EST - just message me your Skype.

Only requirements are a mic, preferably headset or ear buds, having read WLW once ever, and having NOT read a TGO ARC (the released excerpts are ok as we'll probably discuss current Bakker events at the beginning of the Cast).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2016, 06:49:14 pm »
...having read WLW once ever...

Well, I'm out. Been saving WLW all these years.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2016, 11:34:53 pm »
You've done well to hide your ignorance ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 24, 2016, 01:52:29 am »
...having read WLW once ever...

Well, I'm out. Been saving WLW all these years.

Yea, like who are these Monsters that say, "I'm not reading TGO til TUC is out. Uh, I just want the whole story, I can wait." like really, you can? As much as I complained about the split being a bad thing, I could no more wait to read TGO than not breathe. I need that shit!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

rhizome

• The Afflicted Few
  • Emwama
  • One or Several Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2016, 09:38:51 pm »
Do you have an ETA on when the WLW re-read cast will be posted?

I'd be interested in participating in some kind of pre-TGO cast... I've been waiting for the WLW cast to drop before wading into the forums full-on.

Also, are the missing casts (4,6,7) just gone, or are they just not on SoundCloud?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2016, 10:03:45 pm »
Whenever I am not lazy, rhizome :).

I've listened to maybe the first twenty minutes and of course it has some early audio issues, which in this case I should probably be able to balance out. We're always looking for new Cast participants.

#4 GJ, SR, and myself: where I cajoled and berated the two of them into participating. The resulting cast, though, fell victim to some terrible and indeterminate whine whenever SR spoke... I've toyed with the audiofile a number of times with different programs and can never get the whine gone while still keeping the overall cast at a perceptible level.

#6 FB, GJ, Bolivar, and myself: At this point, I still hadn't paid for a recording program so everyone was downloading trials of different programs. FB was recording and hosting and about forty minutes in something happened on his end...

#7 GJ, SR, Bolivar, and myself: SR happens to be available to tap in for the above Cast. GJ recorded and hosted. Bolivar gives his "second" introduction story about finding the books and the forum. About thirty-five minutes something happened on GJ's end.

There's probably stuff worth it to chop up and release as LostCast stuff someday and it'll probably happen. But give it a year or two of contemporary releases ;).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:06:01 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2016, 08:54:27 pm »
We need to do another one. I'd like to re-do the WLW or do another one as the excerpts had just came out and their implications dominated the discussion more than WLW.

Maybe a cnaiur podcast "Tales from the Steppe" would be a good name. Not sure if you recorded us talking about Cnaiur.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2016, 11:32:06 pm »
I think you're going to be hard-put to do another WLW Reread (specifically) Cast, themerchant :(.

I am planning on getting ours up. Trust me - they always feel worse making them and then you listen to it and those infinite pauses and run on monologues aren't quite as long listening to them as they are living them.

EDIT: And yes, suggesting a topic, usually gets one going ;). Anyone who wants to suggest a topic only need to find people willing to partake and record it and I'll host it, though I'm always happy to be involved.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer